none
Windows DVD burn hangs, says "Adding data to the disc image" indefinitely

Question

• Hello,

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, with Service Pack 1, fully updated.
    My computer has a Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P ATA DVD/CD burner, with Microsoft default drivers (system32/DRIVERS/cdrom.sys)

When I want to burn files to a DVD, here are the steps that I take, and the results that I get.

• Insert blank DVD (Verbatim DVD+R DL)
    • Vista pops up a prompt asking me what to do, and I click Burn files to disc using windows
    • I name the disc
    • I open formatting options and select Mastered
    • I copy files to the DVD (called DVD RW Driver F:)
    • I click Burn to disc
    • I click okay
    • The burn wizard appears to be preparing the disc, stating "Adding data to the disc image...", at this point there has been no spinning of the disc since Vista first prompted me what to do with it. Vista just sits there with the wizard open, and nothing happens for some time.

I have tried to correct this by removing the Upper and Lower filters for my drive in the registry, with no effect. Assistance would be appreciated.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:04 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, please check the following:

1. Please ensure that the DVD burner is compatible with Windows Vista.

2. Which type of DVD does your DVD burner burn?

3. Please confirm that your DVD burner supports the type of your Verbatim DVD (DVD+R DL).

Please understand that there are many types of DVDs, such as DVD+R, DVD-R, etc, and some DVD-RAMs don’t support all the types. However, I am sorry that we have no direct information about the Slimtype DVD A DS8A1P ATA DVD/CD burner. To get the definite information, it is recommended to contact the DVD burner (or the computer)’s manufacture.

Based on my research, I will suggest the following:

1. Please check if you have enough space of your system partition.

2. Some third party software may be conflict with the DVD burning process, please perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

Clean boot

=================

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please monitor if the issue reoccurs.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Meanwhile, if you have other blank DVD’s in other types or made from other manufactures, please check if it works.

If it worked properly before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

I would also like to share the following documents which are related to DVD burning with you. Hope they are useful:

Pick the appropriate disc and format for your needs

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2af64e60-60aa-4d79-ab6c-3a5db5806cbe1033.mspx

Burn a CD or DVD

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b47eb51a-ea6d-4d97-97b0-2d07a59316981033.mspx

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 8:31 AM