none
BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Question

• My main drive has been accidentally formatted on my laptop. Now when i start it up it says..BootMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I'm trying to run ubuntu on it from a usb disk and I have Usb 1st in my bios but nothing happens. I'm trying to install ubuntu then from there re-install windows 7 with a Iso dvd I have. Perhaps I did it  incorrectly. All I did was copy and paste the ubuntu iso onto my flash drive. Are there any other steps I need to take?

I have tired using windows 7 iso dvd too. I burned the windows 7 iso onto a dvd then i tried booting from my dvd and i have also put it first in bios and nothing happens. Am i burning these thing incorrectly? Is that why they fail to boot?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Make sure that you have set the DVD drive as first boot device. If you have windows xp disc, trying to use windows XP disc to boot the computer and then delete the main drive and reformat it. If there's a 100 MB partition, You can also delete it.

As for installing Ubuntu from USB drive, you need to do more steps like making the USB device as bootable. Refer the following article:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, March 01, 2010 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:51 AM

All replies

• Issue

After compressing your drive C: you get this message:
    bootmgr is compressed 

ctrl + alt + del to restart the computer.

Solution

• Insert the installation DVD in your system and start the pc above.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Then click on Load Driver.
    • Go to Computer.
    • Right click on the partition your installation previously compressed> Properties.
    • Then uncheck "Compress drive to increase space available".
    • Then close all windows to restart the computer.
    • Proposed as answer by aussieboy69 Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Hello,

Make sure that you have set the DVD drive as first boot device. If you have windows xp disc, trying to use windows XP disc to boot the computer and then delete the main drive and reformat it. If there's a 100 MB partition, You can also delete it.

As for installing Ubuntu from USB drive, you need to do more steps like making the USB device as bootable. Refer the following article:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

Thomas77
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, March 01, 2010 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:51 AM