none
Windows 7 blue random blue screen errors. help on how to fix it,

Question

• hello, i am running windows 7 on my laptop and desktop and both get random lock ups where the screen will flash with horizontal lines for about 10 seconds and then it shows the blue screen error message and restarts. it can happen from multiple times a day to not happening for a week or more. i have copied the error code for my desktop , maybe i can get help on how to fix this because it is annoying. thanks.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               a

BCP1:                                                    00000000

BCP2:                                                    00000002

BCP3:                                                    00000000

BCP4:                                                    82E8E844

OS Version:                                          6_1_7600

Service Pack:                                       0_0

Product:                                               256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\060410-18985-01.dmp

C:\Users\Crash\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29359-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Friday, June 04, 2010 4:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• You reported details of bucheck 0xa - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.  A kernel mode component running code at 0x82E8E844 tried to read memory address 0 at an inappropriate time.  Is the BCCode you get always the same (0xa)? Did you recently add or remove any hardware or software?

Can you upload the contents of c:\windows\minidump to SkyDrive and provide a link?

General guidance for dealing with bluescreens:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings- >Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out  of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot  completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload it.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily  good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of  modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date (including video drivers), as well as ensuring that you're  using the latest BIOS.

Friday, June 04, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Ok I have uploaded the latest error messages to my sky drive. this is all new to me on how to navigate the site and working with windows this way. I am not an inexperienced windows user but i am not that good on figuring out things like this. I am going to try the things listed above that you have said to do and see if it corrects the problem, I will let you know if it does or does not. I have been getting these errors messages on my laptop and desktop, but my desktop I had just built about a few months ago. So any help is good help. Thanks.

heres a word doc with the blue screen errors that i have gotten in the past two days.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Segoe UI"; panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520084737 -1073683329 41 0 479 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Problem signature:

BCP2:                                                    00000002

BCP4:                                                    82E8E844

C:\Windows\Minidump\060410-18985-01.dmp

C:\Users\Crash\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29359-0.sysdata.xml

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

Problem signature:

BCCode:                                               124

BCP2:                                                    85FCE01C

BCP3:                                                    B6000000

BCP4:                                                    00000181

C:\Windows\Minidump\060410-18907-01.dmp

C:\Users\Crash\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-27986-0.sysdata.xml

Problem signature:

BCP1:                                                    00001A54

BCP2:                                                    000000FF

BCP4:                                                    82E6A01C

C:\Windows\Minidump\060410-630992-01.dmp

C:\Users\Crash\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-654907-0.sysdata.xml

Friday, June 04, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Can you post the link to the dumps on your SkyDrive?

You mentioned both your laptop and your desktop - each should be considered independently.  It would be good to know what dumps are from what system because specific guidance/suggestions may only apply to one system or the other.  Plus, as items are covered and items are ruled out, it would be good not to confuse things.  

How old is the system that got the 0x124 bugcheck, which is "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" - "This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred." Looks like may have some faulty hardware, unfortunately, probably the processor and / or perhaps the motherboard. Additional things you can try, though, just to see... Ensure that the system has adequate cooling and ventilation. Test RAM, reseat RAM and the processor if you can.  If the BIOS is the latest, consider reverting to a previous version and see if that helps.  Also double-check BIOS settings; perhaps, note current settings, reset the BIOS defaults, and then adjust those settings you know are necessary to adjust.  Double-check voltage, etc. and ensure/verify CPU compatibility with the motherboard.  If you're overclocking, stop.

Friday, June 04, 2010 7:13 PM
  • i posted the stuff to my sky drive but i am not sure if i did it correctly or not. the files show up as visual studio code. ill check the bios and everything else and the cpu is cooled by a corsair water cooler so it runs really low on temp and everything else is all stocked and not overclocked. how do you get a hold of my sky drive?

Friday, June 04, 2010 7:57 PM
  • You would need to provide a link.  Check the page you see the file on in your SkyDrive, for a link you can post.  Something like: http://cid-?????????????.skydrive.live.com/
    Friday, June 04, 2010 8:30 PM
  • http://cid-b231f5cb868d5070.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/blue%20screen%20errors heres the link.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 9:43 PM
  • All 4 dumps appear to have been from the same system. Is this correct?

The 0x124 bugchecks (0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_CACHE) were Machine Check Exceptions caused by cache errors - ICACHEL1_SNOOP_ERR.  This suggests the L1 cache on the CPU is faulty.  The 0xa bugchecks were inconclusive, likely due to the bad L1 cache.  That's what the dumps indicate at least... However -

The BIOS is dated 01/13/2009 - is there a newer one available?  You seem to have an old version of Norton/Symantec software installed - from before Windows 7 RTM'd.  Uninstall this software, run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all of it, and check the behavior.  You also have a variety of stale drivers installed - one more than 5 years old.

BIOS.sys 3/16/2005 

copperhd.sys 11/1/2005 

cpuz132_x32.sys 3/26/2009

usbfilter.sys 4/3/2009 

Rt86win7.sys 5/22/2009 

Check for updates to these drivers, or uninstall them or the software they came with.

So, despite the dumps indicating that the L1 cache is bad, it would be good to uninstall the old Symantec/Norton software, and check the issue.
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:06 AM
  • wow thats impressive, how can you tell all that information from those files? I have tried the chkdsk and everything came back ok, same with the driver verify nothing changed when i ran it. i did not try the memtest yet, i will soon. i appreciate the help, how long did it take you to know all this information and get used to diagnosing computers?
    Saturday, June 05, 2010 4:33 AM
  • You can probably interrupt your work with the initial set of suggestions and focus on removing the stale Symantec/Norton software, and then test the behavior of the system when that is removed.

The Debugging Tools for Windows are used to read the crash dump files.  The DTW come with a pretty comprehensive set of instructions and also references to additional materials.  It is also helpful to have a good grasp on operating system fundamentals.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 1:20 PM
  • ok i uninstalled norton and it still locked up, then i installed a newer version for windows 7, i fixed three of the 5 drivers that are old but i do not know what the last two are

usbfilter.sys 4/3/2009 

Rt86win7.sys 5/22/2009

i ran the memtest and it came back ok, but i do not have another memory module i can put in to test to see if that one was bad, ill have to go pick one up. the issue with my laptop having the same problem is that when i installed window 7 on it they both had the same  way of shutting down. i know it may not be the same thing but  its weird they have the same problem.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 3:34 PM
  • The Rt86win7.sys is the Realtek NIC driver.  usbfilter.sys appears to be a filter driver for certain types of USB chipsets.  If no newer driver is available, consider disabling the hardware associated with the driver via device manager.

Any new dumps after reinstalling the Windows 7 version?  If you continue to experience problems, then it may well be that the L1 cache is bad.

Monday, June 07, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Is it true that  both the laptop and the desktop encounter the exact same symptom “the screen will flash with horizontal lines for about 10 seconds and then it shows the blue screen error message and restarts”? From this symptom, I suspected it is more related to display card.

I would appreciate your help in clarifying the model of both your PCs and display card, hard disk, manufacture, the version of Windows 7 etc.

To narrow down the root cause and point us to the right direction as soon as possible, follow these troubleshooting steps:

1.       Remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the computer, try entering Windows safe mode to test whether it is a third-party software/hardware compatibility issue.

2.       Test in clean boot.

3.       Update the definition of your antivirus software and perform a system full scan.

4.       Obtain the latest driver for all devices including chipset driver and pay more attention on BIOS.

Regards,

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:18 AM