none
DISPLAY BRIGHTNESS

Question

• I have 2 laptops (toshiba satellite and HP pavilion). Both had the same bright vivid screen when running on windows xp. I installed windows 7 on my toshiba, everything seems to be working and nice except the brightness of the screen. I used the function button on the keyboard and it works to some extent but still does not look as brighter as it used to be. When i keep both the laptops side by side, HP's lowest brightness is the highest brightness of toshiba running windows 7. Inaddition apart from the keyboard function keys, i tried the brightness adjustment slider found in DISPLAY of windows 7 but there is no change and my screen looks still dull. And whenever i reboot, the screen defaults to the most dimmest.

i'm the admin and i have the laptop plugged in. I made adjestments to power settings so that its in full capacity but sill its dull.

Is there any solution for this?

Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Raj,

Please first install the latest display card driver which is compatible with Windows 7 and see if the issue can be resolved.

In addition, Windows 7 includes an option for "Calibrate color". To do this, please go to Control Panel -> Personalization -> Display on the left pane -> Calibrate color on the left pane. Follow the wizard to make your own display. You may need to use the button on the monitor to change the settings.

For more information, please click "How do I calibrate my display" on the welcome screen of "Calibrate color".

What is the result? If the issue persists, let's set the following Group Policy and see if the issue can be resolved.

1. Please go to Start, type gpedit.msc and then press Enter.

2. Expand Computer Configuration -> Administrator Templates -> System -> Power Management -> Video and Display Settings on the left pane.

3. Double click "Specify the Display Dim Brightness (Plugged In)".

4. Choose Enable and then select the "Display Dim Brightness (percent)" you like.

5. Click OK.

6. Repeat step 4 to 5 to change the "Specify the Display Dim Brightness (On Battery)" settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Raj_MSBI Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:41 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Raj,

Please first install the latest display card driver which is compatible with Windows 7 and see if the issue can be resolved.

In addition, Windows 7 includes an option for "Calibrate color". To do this, please go to Control Panel -> Personalization -> Display on the left pane -> Calibrate color on the left pane. Follow the wizard to make your own display. You may need to use the button on the monitor to change the settings.

For more information, please click "How do I calibrate my display" on the welcome screen of "Calibrate color".

What is the result? If the issue persists, let's set the following Group Policy and see if the issue can be resolved.

1. Please go to Start, type gpedit.msc and then press Enter.

2. Expand Computer Configuration -> Administrator Templates -> System -> Power Management -> Video and Display Settings on the left pane.

3. Double click "Specify the Display Dim Brightness (Plugged In)".

4. Choose Enable and then select the "Display Dim Brightness (percent)" you like.

5. Click OK.

6. Repeat step 4 to 5 to change the "Specify the Display Dim Brightness (On Battery)" settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Raj_MSBI Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:41 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Hi,

I am running Server 2008 R2 and do not get the Specify the Display Dim Brightness as an option in my video and Display settings. I only get turn Off Adaptive Display timeout and Turn off display as options.

Can I change or update this

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

I am running Server 2008 R2 and do not get the Specify the Display Dim Brightness as an option in my video and Display settings. I only get turn Off Adaptive Display timeout and Turn off display as options.

Can I change or update this

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

I have same problem, did you find any solution about these settings?

Thanks,

Guney

Monday, February 03, 2014 3:30 PM