none
does Java work on windows 8 desktop

Question

• Hya i have read that Java doesnt work on RT BUT DOES WORK ON THE DESKTOP and why is it only 32 bit that works whereas i have a 64 bit computer can anyone explain this to me please
    Friday, April 05, 2013 8:24 PM

Answers

• thanks for all your replies the issue has been resolved I just installed google chrome and it worked fine it is as u say only for work purposes so thanks again
    Monday, April 08, 2013 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hya i have read that Java doesnt work on RT BUT DOES WORK ON THE DESKTOP and why is it only 32 bit that works whereas i have a 64 bit computer can anyone explain this to me please

You may have a 64-bit computer, but do you have the Windows 8 x64 bit version OS installed?
    Friday, April 05, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Brian i will have to check on that. Can i ask why Microsoft didnt already install the Java when i purchased the computer as so many programmes work with it or am i missing the point.
    Friday, April 05, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Try installing Windows Offline (32-bit)

Carey Frisch

Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Brian i will have to check on that. Can i ask why Microsoft didnt already install the Java when i purchased the computer as so many programmes work with it or am i missing the point.

If you were familiar with the past legal battle between Sun and Microsoft, you would appreciate how absurd your question is. Java was invented by Sun and is now owned by Oracle. There is no incentive for Microsoft to pre-load Java on a Windows 8 machine. When you think about it, None of the .NET languages that Microsoft have authored are pre-loaded either. After all, most Windows users are not programmers.
    Saturday, April 06, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Thanks Brian for the reply but the question still remains i wasnt aware of the legal tiff but that is irrelevant the question was clear cut and not absurd if there is no alternatives to Java as most business seem to use it why not install it.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Thanks Brian for the reply but the question still remains i wasnt aware of the legal tiff but that is irrelevant the question was clear cut and not absurd if there is no alternatives to Java as most business seem to use it why not install it.

No, I suggest that most businesses do not require Java for one thing, and secondly, it makes no business sense to pre-install a competitor's product, particularly if it is taking up disk space that the user will never use.
    Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:27 PM
  • On 4/5/2013 4:24 PM, Martin Mcintyre wrote:

Hya i have read that Java doesnt work on RT BUT DOES WORK ON THE DESKTOP and why is it only 32 bit that works whereas i have a 64 bit computer can anyone explain this to me please

Yes, Java works on Windows 8. The 32 bit Juniper client-side software VPN software works with client's VPN site. It uses 32 bit Java. IE 64 bit has no problems using the two products to connect to the VPN site using Win 8 64 bit.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:14 PM
  • On 4/6/2013 11:10 PM, Martin Mcintyre wrote:

Thanks Brian for the reply but the question still remains i wasnt aware of the legal tiff but that is irrelevant the question was clear cut and not absurd if there is no alternatives to Java as most business seem to use it why not install it.

Java has a lot of security issues lately. If a 3rd party vendor like DELL wants to install Java on the machine in a preinstalled O/S and related 3rd party software on the machine that uses Java, then the vendor will install Java. However, MS is not obligated to install Java. The only reason Java is on my machine is because software I use for work must be installed on the machine for it to work. Also one Web Site application I used required Java. Other than that, and after I am done with the client, Java will be removed from the machine.

And the alternative to Java is .NET and more and more software is being developed that uses .NET.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Hi,

Windows RT and Windows 8 run on different CPU architectures, one on ARM and the other on Intel X86/X64.

Oracle hasn't ported Java JDE/JRK to ARM, so it's not available for Windows RT.

On the other side, Java JDE/JRE is available for Windows 8, both 32-bits and 64-bits.

Finally, I tested Juniper VPN client on Windows 8, works perfectly well.

It requires Java JRE and browser plugin to connect from Firefox or Chrome browser.

Nevertheless, when connecting from IE it will download an executable to launch VPN connection (so there'd be no need for Java in that case).

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Monday, April 08, 2013 12:07 PM
  • thanks for all your replies the issue has been resolved I just installed google chrome and it worked fine it is as u say only for work purposes so thanks again
    Monday, April 08, 2013 12:28 PM