none
Windows 8 Login screen

Question

• My Windows system at home (Windows 8 Pro RTM) has two active user accounts who log on (my wife and myself), and neither account has a password.
    I have noticed that when the PC boots up, it does not go to the user login screen. It automatically logs into the same account that was last logged on. Is this meant to happen, and is there some way to make sure that the login screen always comes up upon bootup?
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:10 AM

Answers

• Not sure which version of Windows 7 you were using, but in my experience Windows 7 also logged in the last user if they had no password on their account.  I was using the Professional version and home may have operated differently.  I also may be remembering it incorrectly since I rarely used accounts with no passwords and almost never did it with more than one account.  I do know that's how it operates if you only have one account defined.

Since Windows 8 is more tightly tied to a windows Live ID, which requires a password, it may be that the underlying system has changed and you may have to use passwords to get it to stop on a screen where you can change who is using the computer.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:44 PM

All replies

• Do you have passwords on the two accounts?  The only time I've seen Windows exhibit the behavior you are describing is when the accounts are created without passwords.  If the accounts both have a password then you will stop on the login screen until the password is input.  At that point you should be able to select which user to login.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Thanks for your advice.

While I do appreciate your thoughts and agree that this is indeed a solution, I have to admit this isn't the answer I was looking for. To be honest, in Windows 7 I did not have a problem. The system had two users (without passwords), and it always gave us the option upon bootup which account to log in as.

If you're telling me that Windows 8 cannot do this, then I find that very disappointing. Windows shouldn't just assume that the next user  is going to be the same as the previous.

• Edited by Mojo_za Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:03 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Not sure which version of Windows 7 you were using, but in my experience Windows 7 also logged in the last user if they had no password on their account.  I was using the Professional version and home may have operated differently.  I also may be remembering it incorrectly since I rarely used accounts with no passwords and almost never did it with more than one account.  I do know that's how it operates if you only have one account defined.

Since Windows 8 is more tightly tied to a windows Live ID, which requires a password, it may be that the underlying system has changed and you may have to use passwords to get it to stop on a screen where you can change who is using the computer.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:44 PM