none
bootrec /Fixboot hangs and only can boot up if machien is turned off and unplugged for a while

Question

• http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927392

I followed the below steps from the above URL. As stated in my subject the only way I can get any of my partitions to log in is if I shut down then unplug the machine for a long time. It boots fine then othewise it hangs at the Windows 7 boot screen.

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

After getting into bootrec.exe I followed these steps per the above MS article:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /RebuildBcd and bootrec /ScanOS
    both came back stating "Successfully scanned WIndows Installations. Total identified WIndows installations: 0. The operation completed succesfully."

I then ran bootrec /Fixboot which has run for 35 mintues and done thing but sit with a blinking cursor? I have 4 hard drives with 3 Windows 7 partitions and 1 Windows Vista partition.

What's next can I stop this?

Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Can you boot to windows now?

Your startup problem should not be caused by the following factors:
    •  A master boot record (MBR)
    •  A boot sector
    •  A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store

If one of the above boot data is corrupted, you are unable to boot to Windows. But now you can boot to windows after unplug the machine for a long time. So you do not need to rebuidlbcd, fixboot,etc.

The corrupted hard drive will cause this problem. Try to run a disk error-checking:

1. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

CHKDSK /R

2.  Type Y and press Enter.

Thomas77
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Thomas,

I have 4 bootable hard drives, this happens when I boot into any of the 4. It can take hours to actually boot up unless I turn and cut the power off.

How can I tell which hard drive has the boot sector?
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:57 PM
  • UPDATE: I wasn't able to boot back into the machine at all and ran the following command (ren c:\boot\bcd.old bcd )  to restore the BCD from the my first message. I then left the machine off for 3 hours and got back into my primary Windows 7 partition. I got in successfully.

I beleive I am still having the login issues mentioned above and wil rn a CHKDSK /R next as suggeted.

Update to come.

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I used VistaBootPro and came up with the following items: Entry 4 & 5 do not have Boot Drives or Windows Drives so I deleted them using VistaBootPro but I wasn't able to add them back and specify an OS Drive letter with it? I suspect this to be an issue, but how can I fix it? I planned on doing away with the Vista physical drive altogether and put it in my Windows Home Server anyways but I would like to log in to see what I need to keep?

Entry 1
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Name: Windows 7
    BCD ID: {current}
    Boot Drive: C:
    Windows Drive: C:
    System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry 2
    Name: Games @ Windows 7
    BCD ID: {33307be5-c1a3-11de-9487-c6f5b84c4c83}
    Boot Drive: F:
    Windows Drive: F:
    System Bootloader: \Windows\System32\winload.exe
    Windows Directory: \WINDOWS

Entry 3
    Name: Games II @ Windows Vista
    BCD ID: {33307be6-c1a3-11de-9487-c6f5b84c4c83}
    Boot Drive: H:
    Windows Drive: H:

Entry 4
    Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered) 
    BCD ID: {33307be4-c1a3-11de-9487-c6f5b84c4c83}
    Boot Drive: unknown
    Windows Drive: unknown
    System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry 5
    Name: Soprano III @ Windows Vista
    BCD ID: {33307be7-c1a3-11de-9487-c6f5b84c4c83}
    Boot Drive: unknown
    Windows Drive: unknown
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Removed the two boot records that were failing leaving only Windows 7 entries, problem still exists. Also ran CHKDSK as suggested above, no luck. Machines off now, expect to have to leave it off in order to be able to use it. Any other suggestions?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:46 AM