none
Junos Pulse 4.0 not working in Windows 8.1

Question

• Hi,

anyone got a Junos Pulse 4.0 release version working on 8.1? After the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 both my Cisco VPN client and Junos Pulse client stopped working because of resp. a yellow triangle for the Deterministic Network Enhancer and the Juniper Miniport WAN driver. Via the Citrix page I updated the DNE and this solves the problem for the Citrix VPN client, but this Juniper Miniport WAN driver problem remains and actually totally destroys the network stack. It adds the faulty driver to all NICs making them unuseable.

JP4 is not officially supported for 8.1 until release 4.0R7, however release 4.0R6 should take care of the most critical probleems. But the problem with the drivers existed from release 4.0R3.

I've tried removing drivers, registry entries, software and reinstalling many times but unsuccessful thusfar.

Much obliged

Marcel

PS version 4.0R7 won't be available until december.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 12:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Dulajs

that picture looks exactly like my device manager after the Pulse installation, even version 4.0R6....  The only way to get rid of the problematic network adapters is by updating / changing their driver to a Microsoft adapter (like the Loop adapter) even though it doesn't seem to apply. After that you can delete the adapter.

But I did manage to get things working, but not with the Junos Pulse client, but by using the Built In VPN adapter for Junos Pulse (http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/guides/j-pulse-windows-inbox-client-qsg.pdf). It actually works on the desktop version as well, not just RT. All I had to do was type in the VPN address and my credentials and I got connected. I do, however, need to manually add the routes to my remote network locations because that part doesn't really work. But after that I can access company resources via VPN and internet sources via LAN. Just like it should be.

• Proposed as answer by Dulajs Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Monday, December 02, 2013 11:13 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Hi Marcelio,

Although this is not really a proper solution, I managed to resolve it by refreshing Windows 8.1 installation with the built in utility. Doing this uninstalled all the applications I had installed on the machine leaving the personal files intact.

Installing Junos Pulse on the fresh machine worked as how it's supposed to without any errors. I even uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times to make sure that its permentantly fixed.

So Junos Pulse actually works on Windows 8.1 but only if its a fresh Windows installation, not if it's an upgrade.

I am using Junos Pulse 2.1 x86.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:07 PM

All replies

• You can try to test if the Programs troubleshooter will solve the problem.

Control Panel --> Troubleshooting --> Programs (Run programs made for previous verions of Windows)

Saturday, November 09, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Tried it, but doesn't help unfortunatly....

I just found out that Windows 8.1 has a built-in VPN for Junos Pulse (VPN-in-a-box it's called). That almost works! It connects to the network and returns an IP address (which is already more than the official Junos Pulse VPN client did) but I cannot access any resources (local nor remote) after that. Looking into possible causes for this

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hi Marcelio,

I'm having the same problem on Junos Pulse 2.1 after Windows 8.1 upgrade. Was working fine in Windows 8.

Please let me know if you managed to get this working.

Thanks.

• Edited by Dulajs Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Above is how it appears. Tried to uninstall the adapter with an exclamation mark but its does nothing. Disabling it disables the original adapter and make the adapter with exclamation to hide.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hi Dulajs

that picture looks exactly like my device manager after the Pulse installation, even version 4.0R6....  The only way to get rid of the problematic network adapters is by updating / changing their driver to a Microsoft adapter (like the Loop adapter) even though it doesn't seem to apply. After that you can delete the adapter.

But I did manage to get things working, but not with the Junos Pulse client, but by using the Built In VPN adapter for Junos Pulse (http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/guides/j-pulse-windows-inbox-client-qsg.pdf). It actually works on the desktop version as well, not just RT. All I had to do was type in the VPN address and my credentials and I got connected. I do, however, need to manually add the routes to my remote network locations because that part doesn't really work. But after that I can access company resources via VPN and internet sources via LAN. Just like it should be.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Hi Marcelio,

Although this is not really a proper solution, I managed to resolve it by refreshing Windows 8.1 installation with the built in utility. Doing this uninstalled all the applications I had installed on the machine leaving the personal files intact.

Installing Junos Pulse on the fresh machine worked as how it's supposed to without any errors. I even uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times to make sure that its permentantly fixed.

So Junos Pulse actually works on Windows 8.1 but only if its a fresh Windows installation, not if it's an upgrade.

I am using Junos Pulse 2.1 x86.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Just to follow up on this thread, Junos Pulse 4.0R7 5.0R1 came out on December 2nd and they both officially support Windows 8.1

Downloads:
    http://junos.com/support/downloads/?p=pulse#sw

Release Notes:
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/releasenotes/j-pulse-4.0r7-releasenotes.pdf
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/releasenotes/j-pulse-5.0r1-releasenotes.pdf
    Friday, December 20, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Hi ctaggart,

thanks for the follow up. From the Supported Platforms Guide (http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/pulse/releasenotes/j-pulse-5.0r1-supportedplatforms.pdf) I do get the impression the 32bit Windows 8.1 is not fully supported. For some reason IE11 (standard in 8.1) is not on the supported browser list for 32bit, only for 64... A bit odd but maybe not relevant in my case.

But, I've received the 5.0R1 version (32bit) and installed it (created a restore point to be safe).

First try: immediately a blue screen of death when installing the drivers.
    Second try; the software installed successfully but unfortunately the thick Junos client still is unable to secure the connection. The Juniper Networks Virtual Adapter (still) cannot be loaded. I verified the version of the driver: jnprva.sys which seems to be the same as earlier releases: 5.40.0.27939.

The Junos Log files do not really help.

When I look at the Device Manager I still see that annoying 'Juniper Network Agent Miniport' appear behind each network adapter. But at least the warning sign for that thing is gone everywhere! The only warning that remains is the JNVA, however I'm pretty sure that all those 'duplications' are not a good sign.

Another good sign is that my other VPN clients (Junos built-in and Cisco) still work(!), so a restore is not required at this point.

The reason I need to get this client working is that the Built-in client cannot access VPN urls such as https://vpn.mysite.com/employees and this is (unfortunately) how it is setup by our admins. 

Frustrating....

Marcelio

Saturday, January 04, 2014 12:10 AM
  • Hi,

a nice update on my experiences last night. I finally got it working :-)

I did reinstall the drivers from the installation packages and then I  followed the hints in Clarks post (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2bc9615e-68ce-4660-b28e-1f5f6767e31f/vpn-juniper-networks-connect-731-dont-work-on-windows-81?forum=w81previtpro) and after all the entries to the registry were removed (I did go through the enormous horror job of reassigning the ownerships and permissions on the keys under the Properties keys) I repaired the Junos installation (so not a remove/reinstall). And voila! it works now.

Marcelio

Sunday, January 05, 2014 12:45 AM
  • FYI...

Microsoft Security Advisory: Update for vulnerability in Juniper Networks Windows In-Box Junos Pulse client: May 5, 2014
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962393

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, May 05, 2014 6:03 PM