none
Can't boot with USB drives plugged in!

Question

• I can't do a cold boot with my USB hub plugged in. (I CAN do a restart, though!)

I have 3 external drives plugged into a 7 way USB hub and this worked fine every time in XP.

My primary boot lookout is the IDE drive and USB is about 5th on the list!
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• I can't do a cold boot with my USB hub plugged in. (I CAN do a restart, though!)

I have 3 external drives plugged into a 7 way USB hub and this worked fine every time in XP.

Hi

The driver models have changed substantially between Windows XP and Windows 7.

I would not boot with that device attached until you can check with the various manufacturers regarding Windows 7 compatibility. This could be coming from the hub itself or one of the drives that are attached.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:54 PM

All replies

• where is Win 7 installed?  If you go it on one of your external hard drives, I would try pluggin the drive directly into the computer and take the Hub out of the equation.  When you installed Windows 7 on the external drive it placed a boot record on the internal drive.  If you boot into 7 from the start the hub may not see the windows 7 drive and not boot, but after reboot it may see it.  XP works because it was installed on the internal drive.

note this just assumes that 7 was installed on external drive. 

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:17 PM

Hi

The driver models have changed substantially between Windows XP and Windows 7.

I would not boot with that device attached until you can check with the various manufacturers regarding Windows 7 compatibility. This could be coming from the hub itself or one of the drives that are attached.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:54 PM