none
Motherboard Compatibility With Windows 7

Question

• Hello there. I need to know if the following motherboards are compatible with Windows 7.

ASUS P4S800MX
    ASUS A7V8X-MX SE
    Jetway 830

I tried using the Windows 7 Compatibility thingie but the motherboards won't appear. If it does not appear there, does it mean its incompatible? If not, then how do you suggest on what to do find if these motherboards are compatible or not?

Thank you.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:11 AM

Answers

• ASUS P4S800MX and Jetway 830 = SiS chipset = very bad driver support

ASUS A7V8X-MX SE = VIA KM400 chipset this board should work

But all Motherboards are very old, so stay at XP or buy newer hardware. You can test it your own if you download the 90day Trial of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:51 PM

• That's another older board. You may be able to get Win7 to run on it, but would be better off getting a newer one.

Google and Bing are wonderful tools. If you enter the name of the board you're curious about, you can find all the specs and drivers for it, and then make a decision based on the availability of Windows 7 drivers.

SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

Friday, January 07, 2011 12:52 PM

All replies

• Go to the motherboard manufacturers' sites and find which chipsets they use.

Then go to the chipset manufacturers' sites and see if there are Windows 7 drivers for the chipsets used.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 8:39 AM

• The P4S800-MX has no newer drivers than for XP, the A7V8X-MX SE has limited drivers for Win2003, and there really isn't much to be found out about the Jetway. I would not bother trying to upgrade to Win7 on any of those boards.

SC Tom

Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:08 PM
  • ASUS P4S800MX and Jetway 830 = SiS chipset = very bad driver support

ASUS A7V8X-MX SE = VIA KM400 chipset this board should work

But all Motherboards are very old, so stay at XP or buy newer hardware. You can test it your own if you download the 90day Trial of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Wow, thanks for all your help. I know next to zero about motherboards and compatibility. I just need one more confirmation, does this motherboard

MSI 945 GM2

work on Windows 7?

Thank you very much. :)

Friday, January 07, 2011 2:55 AM

• That's another older board. You may be able to get Win7 to run on it, but would be better off getting a newer one.

Google and Bing are wonderful tools. If you enter the name of the board you're curious about, you can find all the specs and drivers for it, and then make a decision based on the availability of Windows 7 drivers.

SC Tom

Friday, January 07, 2011 12:52 PM