none
Windows Media Center has stopped working

Question

• Windows Media Center has displayed the Stopped working message ever since I unpacked my computer new  from the manufacturer (Mesh). I cannot try your "Linda Yan In Place Upgrade" because the DVD supplied is a MESH recovery disk (I presume) and I cannot find a setup file although the opening splash screen lokks like a Windows 7 install option. Any suggestions ??
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:41 PM

Answers

• I 2 am same problem...appears hundreds r experiencing same problem with media center not working...it states it has stopped...look..my media center comes on when I hit internet explorer and says...windows media center has stopped workn...cant get on internet unless I type internet explorer in search box...then right click then open file location...then I click on iexplore n my internet boots..n im online....that’s how it makes or allows me to sign on.. how do I repair this so I can just click on internet explorer n it opens web page from there? I installed the beta...big mistake n followed instructions to uninstall...went into installed updates n removed internet beta...when I did that, it uninstalled whatever it was that ran my media center....which loaded my internet...
    Use System Restore to roll back the system to a restore point from before these problems started happening.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:29 PM

All replies

• If Windows says that a program has stopped working, then that actually means that the program has crashed. Please post the technical details of the crash here. Open the Start menu, type event in the Search box, and click Event Viewer .

In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application , and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your post.

Tim De Baets
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:12 PM
  • I tried to start Media Center and then copied the event error. Hope that is right :-

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          15/11/2010 23:34:39
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Terence-PC
    Description:
    Fault bucket 1450051805, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: ehshell.exe
    P2: 6.1.7600.16385
    P3: 4a5bd053
    P4: mcstore
    P5: 6.1.0.0
    P6: 4c59048d
    P7: 1a1
    P8: 146
    P9: System.InvalidOperationException
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2FC6.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ehshell.exe_5d1a21be8eaba1ad6ba37ad4a3f3db154b37f4fa_03203a8f

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: e7f361cf-f110-11df-9e26-90e6ba2d15cb
    Report Status: 0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-11-15T23:34:39.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>22955</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Terence-PC</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>1450051805</Data>
        <Data>5</Data>
        <Data>CLR20r3</Data>
        <Data>Not available</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>ehshell.exe</Data>
        <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
        <Data>4a5bd053</Data>
        <Data>mcstore</Data>
        <Data>6.1.0.0</Data>
        <Data>4c59048d</Data>
        <Data>1a1</Data>
        <Data>146</Data>
        <Data>System.InvalidOperationException</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
    C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2FC6.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>
        <Data>C:\Users\Terence\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ehshell.exe_5d1a21be8eaba1ad6ba37ad4a3f3db154b37f4fa_03203a8f</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>e7f361cf-f110-11df-9e26-90e6ba2d15cb</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Monday, November 15, 2010 11:38 PM
  • Try resetting the Media Center database by following the instructions at  http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing-guide-data-and-tuner-setup-from-windows-7-media-center.html . Does that help?
    Tim De Baets
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:43 PM
  • I Tried this option alas no joy. I guess WMC is something I shall have to give up on but judging by the number of people with this issue it seems Microsoft should provide a proper solution.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:49 PM
  • I 2 am same problem...appears hundreds r experiencing same problem with media center not working...it states it has stopped...look..my media center comes on when I hit internet explorer and says...windows media center has stopped workn...cant get on internet unless I type internet explorer in search box...then right click then open file location...then I click on iexplore n my internet boots..n im online....that’s how it makes or allows me to sign on.. how do I repair this so I can just click on internet explorer n it opens web page from there? I installed the beta...big mistake n followed instructions to uninstall...went into installed updates n removed internet beta...when I did that, it uninstalled whatever it was that ran my media center....which loaded my internet...
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:48 AM
  • I Tried this option alas no joy. I guess WMC is something I shall have to give up on but judging by the number of people with this issue it seems Microsoft should provide a proper solution.
    Open the Start Menu, go to All Programs - Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and select Run as administrator . In Command Prompt, type the following:

sfc /scannow

and press Enter. Let it run until it completes. Does it find any problems, and if so, is it able to fix them?

If that doesn't help, then I suggest that you repost this at the The Green Button forums (make sure to include the crash event description again).

Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:27 PM
    Use System Restore to roll back the system to a restore point from before these problems started happening.

Tim De Baets
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I heard antivirus or firewall program settings may cause conflicts with Windows Media Center.   You may want to check Firewall settings and antivirus settings regarding programs installed on your pc that access the internet.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:50 PM