none
Windows 8 keeps restarting on error(s)

Question

• I purchased the Online Digital Upgrade last night from Windows 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro. The only incompatible program was Zonealarm Antivirus which was uninstalled as part of the upgrade.

So far, on navigating through my desktop, Windows 8 advises of a problem, briefly displays a search suggestion and then shuts down. From what I have seen the error is driver related and is different each time.

This has happened @ 8 times so far and on several I have agreed to send the info to microsoft.

This is really disappointing and frustrating! I do not want to keep using this if this keeps happening.

Stan.

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, please let us know more details about the error message.

Meanwhile, please check the following:

1. If there are dump files in C:\Windows\Minidump\, please check them.
    2. Ensure the BIOS and drivers are up-to-date.
    3. Unplug un-necessary devices.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:41 AM
  • iinfi try to google Who Crashed. download this. boot into safe mode and run the program. read what is causing the crash. or you can upload the minidump file.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:09 AM

All replies

• I'm getting the same thing.  I upgraded from Windows 7 pro to Windows 8 pro last night from Microsoft Online digital store.  The only incompatible program I had was Sound Forge 10.  I uninstalled it.  Since the upgrade, I have no sound.  Went to Creative to download the new driver.  But the download never completes because Windows 8 keeps restarting.  I can't tell what the issue is.  Sends a memory dump to Microsoft but I don't know where to look for the event logs to see what the issue is.  Please let me know if a solution.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:22 PM
  • i cant even install windows 8!! i keeps rebooting saying that it will gather information.

Solution?

Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please let us know more details about the error message.

Meanwhile, please check the following:

1. If there are dump files in C:\Windows\Minidump\, please check them.
    2. Ensure the BIOS and drivers are up-to-date.
    3. Unplug un-necessary devices.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 29, 2012 3:41 AM
  • i am facing the same issue with Windows 8 on my dell laptop inspiron N5010.

attempted execute of no execute memory

system_thread_exception_not_handled

these are the two messages which keep coming up on the BSOD screen which pops within 30 seconds of Windows coming up!!!

Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:07 AM
  • iinfi try to google Who Crashed. download this. boot into safe mode and run the program. read what is causing the crash. or you can upload the minidump file.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 6:09 AM