none
Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.

Question

• I have a similar problem, although I have definitely not created a homegroup. My error message is headed "Explorer.exe" and reads, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". I am the only user and I am logged in as administrator.

I am unable to open Control Panel, Explorer or access printers and devices, getting the message instead, and cannot access C:, D: or E: partitions. I can run programs from the Quick Launch toolbar but not access documents prepared by the programs. Network Diagnostics gives me the error code 0x80070005. I also have "No network connection" reported and I am not able to access my printers although I can access the Internet (I have a local network with my PC and printers connected through a router). The lack of access through Control Panel and Explorer makes it difficult to use some of the suggestions above.

Prior to this problem, I had difficulties with Backup not completing, the error message being, " Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\<NAME>\Documents. Error: (The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))".

I have tried starting up in Safe Mode when Explorer runs and I can open Control Panel. The Events Log identifies a particular problem "scripted diagnostic engine has encountered an error 0x80070005" (that error code again). Other reported problems are: DHCP-Client denying printer IP address for Network Card (obviously explaining why I cannot access my printers); Application Impact Telemetry not running (should it be running?); Backup errors - error code 2147942402 and Event Viewer has a black/red exclamation mark next to Application (SidebySide) and Service Control (System).

Does this all point to needing to reinstall (not good with a new OS) or should SubInACL.exe help? If so, would it have to be in Safe Mode?

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:41 AM

All replies

• I am pleased to report that, following this morning's updates download, I have access to all parts of my PC and no more error message. I assume the two events are connected, and I did not have to reinstall.

I am just left with the absence of a network connection to my printers and the backup problem. Windows 7 found both my printers without any problem on installation but now, although the printers are shown in Printers and Devices, I am unable to print. I will try removing and reinstalling them tonight.

I think my backup promblem is connected with trying to relocate My Documents on D:.  I'll see where I get with that tonight. 
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Back to the error message and no access to Control Panel, Explorer, etc. Frustrating.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Having made no progress at all in discovering what was wrong, I have given up and reinstalled Windows 7 as a fresh install. I hope it goes better this time.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:57 AM
  • my problem with "no access to the c: drive started when i was writing data to a DVD. The weird thing was that each time I tryed I would get a different problem.

No i have no access to my C: drive. This is crazy,  Windows has done some strange this but this takes the cake.

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:10 PM
  • I don't if this is helpful but Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:52 AM