none
WMC7/Computer Crash During TV Playback

Question

• I've been having a problem with Windows Media Center on my Windows 7 PC.  A few months ago it started to randomly crash while playing recorded or live TV.  The screen goes black, the disk drive indicator light stays on, and nothing responds until I reboot.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the crashes, but I'd estimate they occur at a rate of 1 or 2 per hour.

I don't have any problems when playing back non-TV video files (AVIs and such), which makes me think this probably isn't a video card problem.  On that note, my graphics card is the onboard graphics on my motherboard, which is Radeon HD4200.  I have the latest driver installed.

I've tried to find a solution to this problem, but I've never found a post that described my exact problem.  Most other similar problems I've read about involve system crashes as soon the user selects a file to playback or a show to record.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Media Center through the "Turn Off Windows Features" tool several times to no avail.

Anyone out there have any fixes for me to try?

Thanks,

Joel

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:56 PM

All replies

• Do you get the same issue when booting Windows into Clean Boot mode?

Please download and install BlueScreenView and run it. Does it list the crashes? If so, right-click the latest crash and select Copy Selected Items. Then paste the copied information into a new reply here.

Also, in the lower pane, are there any drivers highlighted in red, and if so, which ones?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Tim,

Yes, the problem persists even after a clean boot.

I downloaded BlueScreenView and it doesn't have records of the crashes I'm talking about.

Joel D. Harding

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Have you run chkdsk on your hard drive? Schedule a chkdsk and see if there are
    issues.

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:32:18 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>I downloaded BlueScreenView and it doesn't have records of the crashes I'm talking about.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

• Proposed as answer by zhen tan Monday, February 13, 2012 1:48 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Barb,

I ran chkdsk on my boot drive and my data drive (where my tv recordings are stored) to no avail.

Joel D. Harding

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:24 PM
  • 1. can you please check Event Viewer and copy any errors from right before a
    crash and paste into a reply here.

2. if you play back a DVD movie (or Blu Ray) do you crash?

3. it sounds like you have more than one drive as you mention a boot drive. What
    happens if you change TV Recorder storage to a different drive?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 13:24:02 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>
    >
    >Barb,
    >
    >I ran chkdsk on my boot drive and my data drive (where my tv recordings are stored) to no avail.
    >
    >
    >Joel D. Harding

Barb Bowman

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Barb,

1.  I don't see any errors in the event viewer from directly before any of the crashes.  I seem to get several of these errors from shortly after the crash:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf
    Date:          2/22/2012 7:46:39 PM
    Event ID:      3012
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      HTPC
    Description:
    The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf" Guid="{122EE297-BB47-41AE-B265-1CA8D1886D40}" />
        <EventID>3012</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-23T00:46:39.557778400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>19534</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4900" ThreadID="1368" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>HTPC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <EventXML xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="LoadPerf">
          <param1>Performance</param1>
          <binaryDataSize>16</binaryDataSize>
          <binaryData>37070000000000000000000009030000</binaryData>
        </EventXML>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Joel D. Harding

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Barb,

(cont)

2.  DVDs have never caused a crash.  As far as I can tell, this problem arises only from live or recorded TV.

3.  My boot drive is a very small SSD, so I can't use it to record.  When I have a chance, I'll try to find another hard drive to swap in as a test.

I've noticed some other trends in my crashes which may provide clues.  This is purely anecdotal, so take it for what its worth.

- I always seem to get a crash in the morning within 5 minutes or so of watching the Today show as its recording.

- I feel like I get more crashes if I'm watching something while also recording.  I do get crashes while just watching a recording, but it seems less frequent.

- The crashes may have gotten slightly less frequent after I increased the size of my paging file.  I'm going to increase it further and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Joel Harding

Joel D. Harding

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:04 AM
  • this should also apply to W7:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:58:09 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

> Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf

Barb Bowman

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:56 AM
  • is the paging file on the SSD boot drive or the other drive?

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:04:11 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>The crashes may have gotten slightly less frequent after I increased the size of my paging file.  I'm going to increase it further and see if that helps.

Barb Bowman

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:57 AM
  • The paging file is on the SSD boot drive.  I also created one on my data drive recently to see if that has any affect.  It hasn't.

I followed your link below and rebuilt my counter database.

Thanks.

Joel D. Harding

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:07 PM
  • I assume you have uninstalled third party plugins and tried different
    combinations of video and tuner drivers? Which tuner do you have?

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:07:02 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>
    >
    >The paging file is on the SSD boot drive.  I also created one on my data drive recently to see if that has any affect.  It hasn't.
    >
    >I followed your link below and rebuilt my counter database.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >
    >Joel D. Harding

Barb Bowman

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Barb,

I've uninstalled any plugins.  I've also tried many different video card drivers.  I haven't tried any different drivers for my tuner, which is a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250.  There seems to be an updated driver on the manufacturer's website, so I'll try that first.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel D. Harding

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Here's an update on my situation:

I've updated my TV tuner card driver and am still having this problem.  I've noticed that almost all of the crashes occur when I'm using the skip forward of skip back command while watching live or recorded TV.

Joel D. Harding

Friday, March 09, 2012 1:00 AM
  • did you ever get to swapping out the hard drive as u mentioned?
    after that, I am out of ideas other than to post at

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 01:00:37 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>I've updated my TV tuner card driver and am still having this problem.  I've noticed that almost all of the crashes occur when I'm using the skip forward of skip back command while watching live or recorded TV.

Barb Bowman

Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:52 AM
  • For Barb and anyone with a similar problem:

This did turn out to be a graphics card problem.  I tried everything else I could think of to correct it before finally swapping in another graphics card, which fixed it. 

Joel D. Harding

Monday, May 21, 2012 12:55 AM
  • good to hear this was finally resolved. I am curious as to what the old vs. new
    cards were.

On Mon, 21 May 2012 00:55:28 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>This did turn out to be a graphics card problem.  I tried everything else I could think of to correct it before finally swapping in another graphics card, which fixed it. 

Barb Bowman

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:52 AM
  • The card that was (is) giving me this error is the Radeon HD 4200 integrated on my Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.  I swapped in an Nvidia Geforce 210 card, which didn't crash while watching TV live or recorded, but it is pretty low end and gave me other errors so I'm using the Radeon 4200 at the moment.  Long story short, I'm pretty sure the graphics card is the problem and I'm going to get a better card and see if that works.

Joel D. Harding

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:01 PM
  • I was sorry to see Joel give up so easily. I have STARTED to experience the problem Joel describes in the last month or so. I know its not a graphics card problem because the card worked fine for over a year. To redescribe the problem:

BluRay, HDDVD, DVD, as well as video files all play flawlessly. However, when watching live TV on WMC, everything will play fine for 10 minutes to a couple of hours, then the screen will go blank, and the sound will collapse to a whine, but the system does not crash -- no BSOD, and no event recorded; however, the only way to recover the system is to reboot.

Another data point: I've tried watching live TV on JRiver MC as well. With JRiver, the same thing happens as with WMC, but consistently after about 5-7 minutes of play.

My setup (HTPC):

Win7 64 on an ASRock 880GX Pro3 MoBo; GTS 450 graphics card; Auzentech X-Fi sound card; 250Gb SSD for OS; 500Gb SSD for storage (7.2 WEI). 

I'm developing a theory that the problem has been caused by a system recovery operation (image restore) I did after experimenting with Win8 -- is this possible?

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:15 PM
  • JAHinNH,

I didn't think my issue was a graphic card problem either, but it was resolved when I swapped in a different graphics card.  I also didn't have a problem initially and only started to experience problems after several months of normal operation.

I don't remember if I did a system recovery or anything similar before I started having trouble.  In any case, let me know if you have any questions regarding things I tried and I'll try to help.

BTW, what did you think of Windows 8 in an HTPC?

-Joel

Joel D. Harding

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Many advanced users are not thrilled with W8 as several things are currently
    problematic, especially if you have extenders. I can tell you that I have not
    upgraded by dedicated HTPC from 7 to 8. Take a look at

There is no new functionality in W8 WMC.

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 16:50:41 +0000, Acebojangles wrote:

>BTW, what did you think of Windows 8 in an HTPC?

Barb Bowman

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:05 PM