none
Dell D600 Network Drivers

Question

• I have a Dell D600 laptop.  After a clean install of Windows 7 RC, I cannot get either the onboard ethernet or wireless devices to be recognized.  After hours of trying various drivers, I gave up.  Are there any suggestions out there?  In the meantime, I popped Ubuntu on the laptop and have been enjoying it for the last few weeks without any problems.  I enjoy Windows, but if the new O/S will not work properly I will not be switching.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:12 PM

Answers

• Dell has no Vista drivers for the D600. Sometimes the compatibility mode will work with XP drivers.

If you have an Intel 2200 or 2915 wireless adapter you can go to Intel and get the driver. Your ethernet is a Broadcom 570x device and you can also get compatible drivers there.

Windows Update in Windows 7 may offer updated drivers. You can also try the Action Center-Troubleshooter for hardware issues.
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:19 PM

All replies

• When you need drivers for your computer, the first thing to do is find out what hardware you have that you need drivers for.  If you don't have the original build shhet from Dell detailing your hardware, then you go to Dell.com, click on Support and where the option is presented, you put in the computer's Service Tag number located on the bottom of you laptop.  Also, if you select Driver Download and you select your computer model it will give you a list of drivers.  You select the appropriate make and model of the device and go to the dowload page.  Dell presents you with a list of compatabile computers using the same device.  From this you can go to other models, if listed, and search for Vista drivers for you device.  If you can'ty find any suitable drivers on the Dell web site, yoiu then start searching the web for your device.

If you want to be successful you must be aggressive in seeking a solution to your device problems.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Over the weekend, I logged in to the Dell Support Page, entered my Service Tag Number and downloaded the appropriate Vista drivers onto a USB device.  I reformatted the HDD and popped in the latest Windows 7 release.  Less than a hour later, I was up... no issues!  I'm sure that initially I'll come across some as I load 3rd party software and drivers for some of the older equipment that I'll connect.  With a little bit of thinking and planning I have no doubts that I'll be satisfied!  Additionally, I've loaded the latest release on my MacBookPro... no issues!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:50 AM
  • If you want to be successful you must be aggressive in seeking a solution to your device problems.
    Really?  I think he's seeking a solution to his problems right now.

I'm in the exact same boat.  d600 drivers are not working.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:44 PM
  • My assistant figured it out by SHEER GENIUS (read: dumb luck).  We downloaded the XP 32 bit drivers from Dell's website.
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=k12&ServiceTag=6X2P741&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D600&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    We used the third network driver.  Running them as usual unzips them and you think they're installed, but they're not.
    Right click the driver's exe, and Run as Administrator.  The driver will actually start an installer.  Run through the prompts and you're done.
    We didn't even need to reboot.  I dunno if the wireless is working, but we've got wired running at least.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Dell has no Vista drivers for the D600. Sometimes the compatibility mode will work with XP drivers.

If you have an Intel 2200 or 2915 wireless adapter you can go to Intel and get the driver. Your ethernet is a Broadcom 570x device and you can also get compatible drivers there.

Windows Update in Windows 7 may offer updated drivers. You can also try the Action Center-Troubleshooter for hardware issues.
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:19 PM
  • My assistant figured it out by SHEER GENIUS (read: dumb luck).  We downloaded the XP 32 bit drivers from Dell's website.
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=k12&ServiceTag=6X2P741&SystemID=LAT_PNT_PM_D600&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    We used the third network driver.  Running them as usual unzips them and you think they're installed, but they're not.
    Right click the driver's exe, and Run as Administrator.  The driver will actually start an installer.  Run through the prompts and you're done.
    We didn't even need to reboot.  I dunno if the wireless is working, but we've got wired running at least.

Yep, sure enough. I'd downloaded the management application, not the drivers. Running the drivers (3rd link down in the list :) as administrator kicked it right off working. Thanks for taking the time to post this, and for including the link to make it easy.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 8:54 PM