none
Windows 7 does not remember last "Save As" location in any program.

Question

• Greetings, seems like MS is becoming more and invasive and less and less useful/logical in all programs and features.  Pundants say, you're on the way out, so let's hope you can save things. 

I've been struggling now with a variety of new mentality perspectives of the MS team, but one that has me nearly enraged is the fact that Windows 7 no longer supports, or is set, to remember the last "Save As" file location/folder, and for the life of me I cannot find a solution.  This is sooooooooooooooo annoying when doing multiple versions of an image, database structure, document, video, audio file, as well as a simple save as from Explorer.

As I recall, this was a cakewalk in 95, 98, XP...I never used 2000 nor Vista's (except at work, and well, shame, shame regarding those).

Anyway, please forgive my angst but seriously?  There must be a setting, but I cannot find it.  And if not, again, shame.  I have caught wind that the old method of folders has been revamped with "libraries" so I see the default document location of c:\user\blah blah.  Again, shame, just like your Office 2007 is a virtual load, no /exe’s.  This should be outlawed. 

You should remember that some people use their computer with specific INTENT part of which is to be PRODUCTIVE not blind directed by some company that want to control them at evert turn.

Which, btw, goes the same for automatic updates.  FINALLY, you get your computer tweaked the way you want it, and wham bam, you invasively shoot off and install crap that screws everything up.  For shame.  Can we get a simple answer on “Save As” please?

Thank you!

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:40 AM

Answers

• You can change the default "Save" folder to a different specific folder, but this may not be what you want if you constantly change where you're saving to.

How to Set the "Default Save Location" Folder for a Library in Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/595-library-set-save-folder.html

You can go to the Windows 7 Feedback page and let them know your suggestions for improving it:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: don't make the message too long, there is a size limit to your message even though the page doesn't tell you about it.

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:34 AM
  • I do not get that type of behavior when performing a "save as" task. Point your save as to the root folder, (C:\User\My Documents, etc) not the library and observe if the behavior changes.

The old method has not been revamped with libraries. Libraries are a new additional feature. View them as all of those folders on your XP desktop that you saved or collected files into. They are not the location of file. Please refer to the resources available about Libraries.

The save as is typically directed by the application being used. Perhaps the application that you are using needs adjustments to settings.

You could also run or check the troubleshooter from the Action Center to determine if there are any system problems that need addressing.

It would be more helpful if you would describe the details..Which version of Windows 7, which application, file type and action attempted and the result to to get some assistance.

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:07 PM

All replies

• You can change the default "Save" folder to a different specific folder, but this may not be what you want if you constantly change where you're saving to.

How to Set the "Default Save Location" Folder for a Library in Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/595-library-set-save-folder.html

You can go to the Windows 7 Feedback page and let them know your suggestions for improving it:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Note: don't make the message too long, there is a size limit to your message even though the page doesn't tell you about it.

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:34 AM
  • I do not get that type of behavior when performing a "save as" task. Point your save as to the root folder, (C:\User\My Documents, etc) not the library and observe if the behavior changes.

The old method has not been revamped with libraries. Libraries are a new additional feature. View them as all of those folders on your XP desktop that you saved or collected files into. They are not the location of file. Please refer to the resources available about Libraries.

The save as is typically directed by the application being used. Perhaps the application that you are using needs adjustments to settings.

You could also run or check the troubleshooter from the Action Center to determine if there are any system problems that need addressing.

It would be more helpful if you would describe the details..Which version of Windows 7, which application, file type and action attempted and the result to to get some assistance.

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Just to break it down for the Microtards...  Way back when, circa 98 or XP, you used to be able to save files to the same location after saving the first one to a specific folder.  That means that when you're a student, like me, you save a class powerpoint to a folder of your choice (independent of having everything saved to one folder ALL THE TIME) you are able to press save on the other 15 class powerpoints on your computer without having to go through the menu each time.  Now, it's like starting from scratch each time so I have to (since my Pathology folder is on my desktop), press save, select the desktop folder (because windows no longer rembers that my last save 1 minute ago was the Pathology folder, Class #2) and reselect the Pathology folder and drill down on class # 2 for the next 10 times.

I understand that Microsoft's world is easier if they assume everybody spends their day downloading microsoft aps and music and just needs to put it all in one place but some of us use our computer space like a library, where sometimes you have to put 15 files on a specific shelf from time to time (not music).

It would be nice if you can actually get a Microsoft person to understand how something used to be (since they don't ever seem to know) and how the loss of that functionality is simply ANNOYING.  Almost as annoying as trying to explain it to Microsoft.

In other words, listen.  It's a skill.  Then work the problem.  Understand that not all problems are satisfied with a microsoft GLOBAL solution, like "just save everything to one place from now on".

Thanks much.

Monday, May 09, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Has there been a fix for this problem yet?

This annoys the hell out of me, having to verify the correct location every time I save a file.

If I have multiple windows open, I never know where the OS will decide to save by default. Sometimes it is where I want, (the last location), and sometimes it is a Microsoft default, which may or may not make sense.

I use 7 every day. I have to put forth the extra effort to select “save as” every time I save a file, just so I can force it to go where it should.

The worst part about things like this is trying to explain to an upset user why their files are not where they think they saved them at. Then having to explain to that same user, they have to use "save as" so they know where the file is going.

I really don't want to start flaming, but I sometimes have to wonder if anyone at Microsoft actually uses the OS they produce, for anything except cloud services? If they did things like this would be discovered, and fixed, long before I complain about them.

Every new OS will have glitches, but what amazes & annoys me most is that 7 has been out for this long, and Microsoft still seems to pretend this problem does not exist.This is even more aggravating than the software glitch itself.

Please make Explorer work like it should, the way it did in XP.

Thanks.....

Chris Watkins
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Now, it's like starting from scratch each time so I have to (since my Pathology folder is on my desktop), press save, select the desktop folder (because windows no longer rembers that my last save 1 minute ago was the Pathology folder, Class #2) and reselect the Pathology folder and drill down on class # 2 for the next 10 times....

...  Understand that not all problems are satisfied with a microsoft GLOBAL solution, like "just save everything to one place from now on".

Yes... So, I download pdfs, open them in Adobe Reader, from various sources for a health research library, and the folder is located on a NETWORK drive that is ALWAYS active. In Adobe reader Regardless if I saved one and then immediately follow with another, and regardless if it was network or local folder anyways, it makes me navigate through the ENTIRE tree (click, click, click, click... ARGH!) to save it to the same location as the previous one. MS Word does appear to remember last saved location... Unless you close it and then it defaults back to "Documents". This is idiotic, and yet one more reason to wonder WTF MS engineers do and think about all day. (and it's valid issue, not just some rant, because it's a simple logical control function that could be built in)
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:12 PM
  • So I tried the set Library location as default... fine...

Select the documents library

Right click on it for Properties

Add the folder you want..

Oh... wait "This network location can't be include because it is not indexed"

OK, fine... one more irritant...

The MS help (whatever...) says "If the folder is already indexed on the device where it's stored, you should be able to include it directly in the library." (Seriously? "should be able to"? Look, either you can or you can't).

So, checked the indexing - it was. So if it's indexed and can't be added to a Library you must make that folder available OFF LINE. That means ALL THE CONTENTS ARE COPIED TO YOUR LOCAL DRIVE. So WHAT is the POINT of adding it to a library then in the first place? If I wanted to keep files on my local drive I'd set THAT as my default. FAIL to the 40th power.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:29 PM
  • The more you dig the worse it became... then I found this, THANK-YOU JESSUS

FileBox eXtender

http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp

I get nothing for this, the app is free, and it works... nuf said. It's not the perfect solution but it's WAY more than a "work around"

So it works in Windows 7 (and from 3.1 up to it BTW). Second it's logical, intuitive (something MS clearly doesn't understand is supposed to be part of computing). Third it'll save me a TON of time. AND lastly has great (and complete, unlike MS) Help.

What it does:

• adds a menu bar above the current "Save" and "Save As..." (all windows actually) dialog boxes that contain "buttons" of Favorites, Recent Folders (and other functions)

With this you can jump to ANY folder with one click in ANY Save/Save As dialog box (and others  - I see it works in Firefox Downloads box even, lol but better still:

• It provides set up for lists (sortable, with separators, sub-sets) and includes a) hot key for access for both Favorites and Recent Folders (hands free of mouse clicking to jump to ANY location you set, as MANY as you like), and b) for 10 of those locations you can enter a number to access that folder too (so, again, no mousing.)

So it's NOT a perfect solution but it can jump to any of the networked drives I've put in, can be accessed straight from the keyboard (easily and logically without being a total nerd), and has an easily managed and sortable list - and even a file FILTER option so you can quickly find and add attachments, work with particular docs etc.

• It also provides "Force view" -- forces windows to display all save dialog windows in "Details View" (which I find MUCH easier to navigate when looking for stuff - why is folder view better?

I can't stand having to RE-SET my preferred view on a folder EVERY time I visit it. Solves that.

• Allows you options to "pin a window" in front
    • "Window shade" a window (like old school mac OS 7-9 - nice touch) (can take some getting used to as the "shaded" windows aren't of a different color than any other window behind them, so sometimes can't see that you've done it)
    • ...and a f-ton of other things.

Oh... And it's FREE. And it WORKS (too bad MS can't say that about it's OS)

:beer:

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Here's the answer - after MS deleted my last post

http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp

FileBox eXtender Features

FileBox enhances Windows by adding several advanced functions to the standard Open File and Save File dialog boxes. (Note that if a program uses its own "private" dialog boxes for these functions, you won't see our FileBox buttons, sorry.)

FileBox adds two handy buttons to these standard dialogs. These appear on the right side of the Windows dialog box title bars. These buttons appear next to the minimize, restore, and maximize buttons with which you're probably already familiar.

FileBox can also forcibly resize the standard Windows file management dialog boxes so they're bigger, and thus easier to use if you've got lots of files in a folder through which you need to look. The two pictures below show a small part of the Windows standard Open File dialog box
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi There notlikinms

Of course if you're not happy with Firefox you could also use Google Chrome - which works too!

I was happy with MS IE for years and only considered changing because of this one very very annoying issue. (That's not nearly enough very's)

The interesting thing is that I avoided other browsers for years and especially Google Chrome as this constantly nagged me to install every time I went to the 1st Google Search Page.

When I switched to Win7 - this was just one of the annoying things that I inherited. (And not the sort of inheritance one would wish for!) So to fix it I switched to Chrome.

Rant begins

MS spend much of their time telling you how good they are - they don't often stop long enough to recognise what they're not good at! One of them is listening and the second interpreting, which inevitably leads to the 3rd - not understanding.

You encountered it here - none of the MS answers - even got close to understanding your issue and that's why you didn't get an answer. Oh I realise they didn't have a solution but instead of fobbing you off with the standard MS Manual answer found on page#, they could have suggested you try an alternative browser and then advised that your issue had been put to the Win8 Dev Team for consideration.

What they need is a retrain on - "how to avoid becoming an idiobot"!

Don't get me wrong I'm not a MS basher but sadly large organisms sometimes need a little push and because Monoliths are hard to move it takes a little longer. What we want is better future products. For the large part I'm happy with Win7 but I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Bert (Thomas Bertram) Lance

Well MS it wasn't broke and you went n' fixed it anyway! Now it's broke!

Now what should the MS team really do - but set up a Skunk Works

Unlike the original purpose that Lockheed had, this team should compose of none indoctrinated MS personnel to pull the projects apart. The freedom not to work under the MS umbrella would allow largely detached and objective thought. This team could work at speed and foster ideas and kill processes that are not justified - there's a thing about trying to be too clever you usually fall flat on your face. It isn't that their current solution is unwanted for some it may help but for most people they didn't see the need for the change - so the question is why did they? Find the answer to that and you will find the answer to "what is wrong with their dev process"!

End of Rant

IsaacClarke
    Win7 Pro 64bit - 3.0ghz Quad -  8Gb DDR3 - 1TB RAID10 

• Edited by IsaacClarke Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:44 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:38 PM
  • The marketing department has apparently called for this.  It will not stop.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:05 PM
  • I'm tired of copy/pasting every folder that Win7 doesn't remember... Please, send an update for this!!!
    Friday, February 10, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Please list what program you're trying to save data from, and the sequence you're going through to see the problem.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Saturday, February 11, 2012 10:16 PM
  • This is a beautiful summary and perfectly describes every experience I've had with Microsoft support in the last couple of years. I too am a power user and see a loss of efficiency in my daily work because of these changes. Windows 7 got a lot of things right and in general is an improvement over WinXP. However, the change described in this thread are a step backwards and just part of the general "dumbing down" of the interface for the masses. Fine--dumb it down for grandma, but for god's sake Microsoft--realize that there are plenty of computer professionals who handle high volumes of files on a daily basis and things like this reduce our efficiency. And you know what, computer professionals are the most likely ones to start looking at alternative operating systems and then propogate those to their friends, family & workplace. Every computer I own is running a version of Windows, and if that's going to continue to be the case, Microsoft had better start paying attention to power users.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Something's specifically wrong with your system, because it doesn't work that way on all systems.  Maybe an add-on is forcing your default folder or something.

For example, from within IE9 when I right-click a Photo and choose Save Picture As, it just brings up the location I last saved something into, as shown here:

Have you tried running IE without Add-ons to see if this behavior is changed?  Click Start, type Add-on into the search box, and choose Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) when it comes up.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:52 PM
  • If it's any consolation, I've created a virtual machine with a bone stock Windows 7 installation and a fresh update to IE9, and I can reproduce the behavior you describe.

Now I'm working on trying to figure out specifically what setting I've configured or option I've set that makes IE9 save wherever I last saved to, instead of defaulting to the Pictures library.  I don't recall one that does exactly that, but the change in behavior must be tied to one of the many I've tweaked.

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:49 AM
  • I have a bit more info, though I haven't found the root cause of the behavior yet...

When I was trying it by starting the 32 bit Internet Explorer from the pinned icon from the Taskbar in my test virtual machine, it would behave as you have described - always defaulting to the Pictures entry under Libraries.

My host and test VM are both 64 bit Windows 7 installations, and on a hunch I just tried it with the x64 build of Internet Explorer...  After right-clicking, choosing Save picture as..., and successfully saving an image in a folder of my choosing (C:\TEMP), then in the same browser session, I saw that it worked as I'm used to - defaulting that folder for the next Save picture as... operation.   But when I close and restart IE again it reverts back to the Pictures library entry for the next image save operation, which is still different from what I'm seeing on my host Windows 7 system, where it always defaults to the last folder on the next run.

I thought I was onto something with the 32 vs. 64 bit difference, but then when I tried the exact same sequence with IE 32 bit, it did the same thing - in the SAME browser session, subsequent image saves go to the last used folder, but in new sessions it defaults back to Pictures.  Is this the same for you, or have I managed to trigger half of the desired behavior already?

I have not yet determined what it is that on my host Windows 7 system causes IE9 to remember Save As locations across browser sessions, but it definitely does so.  I'm now going through the settings I've documented in my book to see which of them evokes the desired behavior.

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Hm, on further examination of my host system in the process of trying to get to the bottom of this, it appears that if I close each and every IE9 window, then wait a little while (until all iexplore.exe processes disappear from within the Task Manager), then I see the same behavior - the first Save Picture As... opens up the dialog in the Pictures library.

Apparently I typically just keep enough IE9 sessions running all the time that I have not noticed the behavior you describe.

The question of whether you could possibly use this as even a workaround seems to come down to:  Do you see it revert back to the Pictures entry under Libraries even in the same session after you have successfully saved an image in a non-default folder?

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Nope, not using any part of Windows Live Essentials here.

In my case, I have disabled Tabbed browsing (because that is my preference) and that may have changed the way I see it work as compared to you - I always start a new browser window where you might just open a new tab.

But after doing a bunch of testing I'll say this:  I originally misspoke a bit - under some conditions (and I'm not completely sure I understand what they all are), I sometimes DO see the same thing you do.  But under other conditions I see the Save Picture As... dialog open in a folder I have used before, rather than the Pictures entry under Libraries, even when I open a new browser window.

It's certainly inconsistent at best!

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:35 PM
  • By the way, I also tested in Windows 8 with the IE10 CP...

It seems if anything MORE likely to open the Save dialog in the Pictures subfolder.  This may be because they're doing something funky where they're doing rendering in a 32 bit process even though I start IE10 with the 64 bit iexplore.exe.

-Noel

In development:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:39 PM
  • I suggest that if you got some benefit out of this forum that you give back to the forum by posting your workaround here.  I'm sure the other folks above would be interested in learning it.

:)  But hey, feel free to eMail me to discuss this further if you'd like.  Maybe I'll answer.  :)

-Noel

In development:

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Please share the knowledge. I've been researching this problem for days and no one has a fix or workaround.

I would greatly appreciate the answer and I know there are millions of user would like to have an answer.

Thank you

Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:51 PM
  • I'm copying files from one {internal) location to another ... in this instance images from a series of CDs/DVDs ... and I hate the way I have to re-navigate to the same destination folder each time I use 'Copy to folder'.

Every time it's 7 mouse clicks and lots of frantic mouse-wheel scrolling ... so unproductive, as well as tedious and unnecessary.

Why can't it remember my last selection?

Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Interesting that meee222's posts detailing his fix were removed - presumably by Microsoft?

I just wanted to let you know that it worked for me on all three Windows 7 clients I tested it on. The changes you suggested making to certain binary values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\FirstFolder (and denying the SET permission on that key afterwards) definitely worked for us.

Thanks!
    Matt

• Edited by mattbackwards Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:00 AM Grammar correction
    • Proposed as answer by elmagoal Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by elmagoal Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:26 PM
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:52 AM
  • The changes you suggested making to certain binary values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\FirstFolder (and denying the SET permission on that key afterwards) definitely worked for us.

sooo, what exactly were those suggested changes??
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 9:23 PM
  • What is the answer?
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:27 PM
  • What is the answer?
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:28 PM
  • What is the answer? I hav ea similar issue.
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 5:29 PM
  • I also have similar problem (Windows 7 pro, 32 bit), constantly going through:

save,last place, order according to the dates, select the last place, save there.

It appears in many programs, and selecting the last place shows many recent places in alphabetic order, so I have to reorder that before getting back to the catalog. I assume that anyone using their own catalog structure must hit this problem all the time, so it is really hard to notice. Perhaps if you go on with suggested recommendation and do not change proposed catalogs you do not see it. But, being a single user of my notebook I do not see the reason to go through user/name/catalog all the time, especially if you keep things on the D: partition, or external/networks disks.

Repeating the same sequence 10 times should let the system know what I am trying to do, save in the same catalog!

Wlodzislaw

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Basic human translation...

MSFT quit putting their laundry in droars.. now they just leave it all in the basket straight out of the dryer.

another?...

This is about as brainless as buying a gps to goto the store... then using that gps every single day to goto that same store!!!!!!

GMac441 said it best.. microtards.

Microsoft ive been with you since the late 80's.. Ive considered other OS's since win 7 came out.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:45 PM
  • IS THERE AN ANSWER? - ONE THAT MICROSOFT WILL NOT DELETE FROM THE FORUM FOR SOME BIZARRE REASON?

REALLY WISH IT WAS SMART ENOUGH TO DEFAULT TO LAST SAVE LOCATION - OR AT LEAST GIVE US THE OPTION.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Thank you for locating this very useful workaround!

I've lost countless cumulative hours of productivity repeatedly navigating through folder trees every single time I need to open or save any file within Microsoft Office applications. Other publishers (Adobe, Corel, Mozilla, etc.) all default to the last used file open/save location, so why the Microtards have chosen to apply such extraordinarily unintelligent design to their products is simply beyond comprehension.

With FileBox eXtender at last I can avoid tediously clicking through every branch of the folder tree every time I insert a picture etc.

Microsoft - learn from other software developers!

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Can you please let me know what you did to make it work?

thanks.

Juan

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I have the same problem, but Filebox eXtender doesn't solve it. It opens folders in an easy way, but doesn't do anything for the save-as irritation. I have never needed as many clicks as now in W-7. If someone knows what to do about it, I'd be VERY happy! I put a shortcut to this conversation on my desktop, hoping the miracle will happen.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Ive found that the problem (for me, anyway) came not from Windows 7, but from Firefox. In the Firefox tab go to Options> General> check "always ask me where to save files"
    Friday, January 11, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Ive found that the problem (for me, anyway) came not from Windows 7, but from Firefox. In the Firefox tab go to Options> General> check "always ask me where to save files"
    Friday, January 11, 2013 12:35 AM
  • I have this same problem in ALL programs. Word, indesign, whatever. In XP I could hit ctrl + s, and it got nicely saved in its own folder (from where I opened it). Now it sends me to some far-away folder where I saved something else (it remembered!!...), but the folder where it should save itself - no way. And I did hit save, not "save as". Word is supposed to autosave every 10 minutes, makes me wonder if that still works - and how. So far I didn't find lost in-between-autosaved documents scattered everywhere, you'd expect that. Probably the autosave doesn't work either. I save often in-between edits, so I have a huge lot of ridiculous extra work.

I'd love a real solution. Filebox extender did not solve this problem.

• Edited by Heylise Friday, February 15, 2013 6:43 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 6:41 PM
  • I've noticed that the last place you saved something from Internet Explorer, specifically, seems to be the place most other programs default to next time you attempt a File - Save As.

It's not right, however it works, because like you I find it to be wrong more often than right.  Not that I imagine anyone's going to be willing or able to fix it.

In my own case, I most often save things from IE to a folder on a spinning hard drive, where most everything else I do is on SSD.  It gets especially irritating when I go to save something to the SSD, and the hard drive has to spin up before I can even access the dialog to change the folder.

With a given UI most of us try to anticipate how it's going to work, then adjust our own workflows to best fit within that scheme.  The way THIS setup works, it's not really obvious what's happening, so it's difficult to anticipate, and thus difficult to use adeptly.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Friday, February 15, 2013 7:10 PM
  • I agree with everyone else, this new Windows 7 "save as" is a total nightmare, complete waste of time, you have to spend soooooo long, each save, looking for, and then drilling down to the folder you want to save in. 

You get the feeling that the programmers don't actually USE "save as" and indeed why would they?  Programming isn't an activity that calls for a lot of document saving, so having messed it up, they just have no idea what we're all talking about. 

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:01 PM
  • What is the answer? I hav ea similar issue.

I still can't find an answer.  One location using Win7Pro 32 bit has problem while my Win7Home 32 bit does not. Has anyone found a switch yet?
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Tried this: NO JOY!!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

I can find the key location you specified, but I'm not sure what changes you are suggesting I make when there - which permissions should I be denying, and who should have the permission denied?

Thanks

David

David Elms

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Right after applying some Windows Updates, my Windows 7 stopped remembering the last directory I used to saved .pfd files from Internet Explorer 9. I tried many different things to try and correct this situation, however, none of then worked. In order to determine if this was a Windows 7 or an Internet Explorer 9 problem, I switched browsers to Mozilla Firefox and bingo, the functionality to remember the last folder used to save files is back.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:30 PM
  • I have the same problem since upgrading to Win 7.  It's such an odd thing not to carry forward from XP.  I've researched this and it's a known issue that Microsoft for one reason or another hasn't yet determined it's worth looking at.  PLEASE CONSIDER ALLOWING THE WIN 7 OS TO REMEMBER WHERE FILES WERE SAVED THE LAST TIME YOU SAVED SOMETHING.

Not a huge issue but multiply this by millions of people, over many years and it's entire lifetimes spent designating a files location every time you save something.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Same problem here.  When working in Word (or other MS software), every time I go to 'Save As' a file, it defaults back to the root folder, instead of the last folder I saved to.  So I have to click through the entire tree again, to get to the most recent folder to which I saved a file.  This started with Win 7.  Why would I want everything to save to the same folder?!  Libraries and Favorites do NOT work for serious business file management.  PLEASE, MICROSOFT: FIX THIS...ALLOW WIN 7 TO REMEMBER WHERE FILES WERE SAVED THE LAST TIME (like it was in XP).  Help us.  Thank you.
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:07 PM
  • Good morning,

Did you solve your issue ???

I'm having the same trouble with PDF files.

Quote:

Yes... So, I download pdfs, open them in Adobe Reader, from various sources for a health research library, and the folder is located on a NETWORK drive that is ALWAYS active. In Adobe reader Regardless if I saved one and then immediately follow with another, and regardless if it was network or local folder anyways, it makes me navigate through the ENTIRE tree (click, click, click, click... ARGH!) to save it to the same location as the previous one. MS Word does appear to remember last saved location... Unless you close it and then it defaults back to "Documents". This is idiotic, and yet one more reason to wonder WTF MS engineers do and think about all day. (and it's valid issue, not just some rant, because it's a simple logical control function that could be built in)

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:46 PM
  • The term "Engineer" clearly doesn't have the clout it used to have, back when quality on multiple levels was important.

Now I guess it's regarded as "too hard" to do adept work and we see all too clearly the result in the current Microsoft products - which don't actually do anything more than their predecessors, and don't even work as well. It's like the new slogan has become "Excellence is SO last century!"

-Noel
    • Edited by Noel Carboni Friday, March 28, 2014 8:50 PM Spacing
    Friday, March 28, 2014 8:48 PM
  • Actually you can click the Recent Places and it will show the last folder accessed.

That would reduce a number of clicks, I suppose.

Monday, March 31, 2014 2:16 AM
  • Had the same problem, last location isn't saved and the next time not used. Following trick fixed it for me - remove all entries under the following key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\FirstFolder

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:10 PM
  • That did not do it for me under W/8.1 64 bit. To test, open up a zipped folder and then right click>extract all, and then  browse to extract. Rather than going to the last opened folder (i tried it twice), it defaults to the whole system window, thus requiring 5 steps for me in organized file storage. Not a big deal, but i was looking to save time.   
    Monday, August 04, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Worked on Windows 8.1/64bit. Thanks.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 6:56 PM