none
Movie Maker in Windows 7

General discussion

• Although it doesn't come with any version of Movie Maker, I copied all the folders from other systems onto an external drive, didn't register any DLLs, and checked them in Windows 7 by opening the executable from Win7.

At my first found of checks, they all work... I now have 5 versions of Movie Maker running in Windows 7

• MM1 from the first version of XP
    • MM2.1 from XP MCE
    • MM2.6 from Vista Home Basic
    • MM6 from Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Live Movie Maker and Photo Gallery from Vista Home Basic
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:32 PM

All replies

• windows 7 doesn't come with movie maker but you can install it free from http://download.live.com/
    Friday, January 30, 2009 11:50 PM
  • The Live version is a pale imitation of Movie maker. If you want to dumb it down, have an easy UI (for morons) and something usable for the rest of us (not that WMM was ever really loaded with a learning curve --- it was "just right" and worked).
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:08 AM
  •  registering the DLLs shifted them into higher gears... my main XP workhorse died a couple days ago... today I find myself capturing video from my mini-DV camcorder with MM2.1 on my Windows 7 system. I'll take the footage for a full ride through the editing, saving and uploading to YouTube and elsewhere processes.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Here's a link to my first video made completely with MM2.1 running in Windows 7

http://vimeo.com/3536097

I was able to capture video from my mini-DV camcorder connected by firewire, edit in MM2.1, save to my hard drive and upload to vimeo, and save the movie to my DV camcorder.... all by simply registering the MM2.1 DLLs. 

I'm wrapping up my series of articles about using Movie Maker in Windows 7 (published at Bright Hub)... of the 5 versions of Movie Maker I tested in Windows 7, MM2.1 felt like the best of the bunch.... maybe that'll change when the next version of Windows Live Movie Maker is released.

I suggest Microsoft consider an optional downloadable/installable MM2.1 package for the community of Movie Maker users who find themselves in Windows 7 without something comparable.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:43 PM
  • I was trying to install Windows Live Movie Maker Beta on my Windows 7 RC Build 7100. No errors during installation wasn't spot. When I was drying to open it, I get error message, that informs me "Rakenduse Windows Live Movie Makeri beetaversioon see prooviversioon on aegunud. Kas soovite vaadata, kas uus versioon on saadaval?" (In English it would be like that: Windows Live Movie Maker Beta has been expired. Do You want to get updated version from website?). There's two possibilities, "Close" or "Check for new version". I did last option. Then, I was redirected to the http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e7446634-e033-4053-acd3-a7a18ea8a1a2&displaylang=en website, where I was downloading 2.8 Mb update for Movie Maker Beta. After opening that file I get error message: "Windowsi installeriteenus ei saa täiendust installida, sest täiendatav programm puudub või täiendus võib värskendada programmi teist versiooni. Veenduge, et täiustatav programm on arvutis olemas ning teil on õige täiendus."
    (In English it should be translated like that: "Windows installing service can not be a complement to install, since there is no supplementary program may supplement or update the second version of the program. Make sure your computer in order to improve the program is available and you have the right complement.") Any ideas, how to get Movie Maker to work in order?

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:39 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. Did you found a solution?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Are you able to output using the Vista HD ouptut profiles when running MM6 under W7?  When I try this I don't get the HD options displayed when selecting the "other" option for outputting a movie.  All I get are the profiles that were in the WLE beta version had (unfortunately) already tried. 

Do I need to register and/or copy a .dll file from Vista OS into my W7 partition maybe?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I'm not currently running MM6 under Windows 7 so I can't test it.... I'm working with MM2.1 on it, along with Windows Live Movie Maker beta.....  Here's a copy of tip #3 on my website's Vista > Publish Movie page...

3 - In addition to the standard choices, custom profiles can be used as in MM2. Most of them can be simply copied from an XP system to the same folder in Vista (... Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles) and used without revision. Create the folder if it isn't there. See the Save Movies > Custom WMV Profiles page for more info and some downloadable profiles.

Create or edit profiles with the same Profile Editor used in XP. Those from the Expression Media Encoder will also work.

I have HD quality custom profiles for download... see the Save Movies > Custom WMV Profiles page.

PapaJohn www.papajohn.org
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:42 AM
  • I'm not currently running MM6 under Windows 7 so I can't test it.... I'm working with MM2.1 on it, along with Windows Live Movie Maker beta.....  Here's a copy of tip #3 on my website's Vista > Publish Movie page...

3 - In addition to the standard choices, custom profiles can be used as in MM2. Most of them can be simply copied from an XP system to the same folder in Vista (... Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles) and used without revision. Create the folder if it isn't there. See the Save Movies > Custom WMV Profiles page for more info and some downloadable profiles.

Create or edit profiles with the same Profile Editor used in XP. Those from the Expression Media Encoder will also work.

I have HD quality custom profiles for download... see the Save Movies > Custom WMV Profiles page.

But MM6 that comes with Windows Vista already has the HD profiles PapaJohn, and I'd much prefer to use the ones that were in my prior package than have to create my own.  The method you gave works with MM2.1 in Vista, but does not work with the Vista MM, either running in Vista or in W7 OS. There has to be a way to incorporate the Vista MM6 profiles into the W7 environment if they can just be located.  They are not in the Movie Maker folder that comes with Vista, so there must be a .dll file in the System32 folder or somewhere that has the magic bullet.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:19 AM
  • There's a bug in MM6... Added custom profiles show up in the list when accessing it via the main menu > File > Publish Movie path, but may not show up if you go to the same place via Tasks > Publish to...

Monday, August 17, 2009 7:43 AM
  • There's a bug in MM6... Added custom profiles show up in the list when accessing it via the main menu > File > Publish Movie path, but may not show up if you go to the same place via Tasks > Publish to...

Well isn't that interesting!  OK, I can now see the custom profiles.  I still don't see the ones that came with MM6 under Vista, but I can at least kludge my own.  Wish I could see the guts of the 720HD profile that came with Vista so I could duplicate it... it produced much smoother HD (1280x720P) panning than the "Best for my computer" option.

Thanks for the help.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:22 PM
  • I can't help much at the moment...  the only Vista system I'm currently running is a Home Basic one, which doesn't have the HD profiles from Microsoft. I use custom profiles on it.

Monday, August 17, 2009 4:39 PM