Is Java broken in Windows 8.1's Desktop Internet Explorer ?

All replies

• If Java test is working, then it means that the game has issue with Windows 8.1, I suggest report this to the game vendor.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 6:06 AM
  • I would not necessarily agree with your logic.

The java test is a very simplistic test, where as the game uses a more tougher test to ensure that Java is able to support the features that the game requires.  The simplistic test succeeds, but the more complex test fails.  In both Firefox and in Chrome the game's test succeeds, and also the game plays.

It is unlikely to be an issue with the game if it plays in the other two browsers, and in Internet Explorer 10 in both Windows 7 and 8.

It is easy to guess where the majority of the games players are going to believe is the issue is with when it is only Internet Explorer 11 that exhibits the issue.   We are trying to keep people happy with using Windows 8.1 not turn them off (any more than they are now).

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Please note that Windows 8.1 is preview and under testing and development, the reason for report it to the manufacturer is that they be able to reproduce this issue in their test environment and check what is the problem and fix it before final release of Windows 8.1 and this forum is also being monitor by Windows team and they will follow up with issues related to Windows 8.1 too.

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Similar problem with an application named "SimpleHelp," in both IE11 and Firefox (22) running in Windows 8.1 Preview.  Java 7_25 (x86) installed, java test site confirms it, but SimpleHelp in both browsers returns "Your system does not appear to have Java installed."  PITA.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:19 PM
  • It seems to be issue with Java and Windows 8.1 , I would recommend to report these issues to Oracle and the website owners to let them aware and try to reproduce it.
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Cyber_Defend_Team why would you suggest that I report the issue with Windows 8.1 to Oracle ?

The Java detection issue does not occur with Red Hat Linux, Debian Linux, Ubuntu, Apple OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, but is only and issue in Windows 8.1.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:32 PM
  • This forum is being monitored and your issue will investigate by Windows Team and they will consider it for future improvement of Windows. Meanwhile, I recommend you to report it to Oracle too, because Java is their product and they could reproduce it and try to fix it. For such issue Microsoft and software vendor (in this case Oracle) should work together and report it to them will make process of resolving it faster.
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:02 AM
  • http://www.visualthesaurus.com does not install, under any compatibility mode, in 8.1 although it used to in 8 and it needs java installed.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:36 AM
  • I'm sure Aussie IT Professional knows that Windows 8.1 is in preview.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Aussie IT Professional does know that Windows 8.1 is in preview, and hope that the bug will be fixed during the time that Windows 8.1 is in preview and certainly before it goes into production. 

By the way, I checked out Ubuntu 13 on the weekend, and Ubuntu 13 did not exhibit any issues with Java when accessing this site (e.g. http://runescape.com/game.ws?j=1). 

While Ubuntu 13 was interesting, and amazingly similar to Windows 8 with the whole "one user interface for all devices".  I prefer Windows 8.x, and look forward to seeing Windows 8.1 released (with no Java issues, please). In fact the GUI features that I dislike about Windows 8, seem be used in Ubuntu, which is namely the loss of the Desktop (its menu, its resizable overlapping Windows, its visible components, its great user functionality.  (yeah, I know the desktop is there in Windows 8, but only as a poor second cousin kept for backward compatibility, or so the user experience indicates).

Monday, July 22, 2013 12:38 AM
  • please please please if this is forum is being monitored fix this problems shit is not ok lol thank you so much btw................. I cannot use explorer to do my bank stuff as java and explorer are not getting along!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:24 AM
  • I concur, if the forum is being monitored, Microsoft should respond. For those who are doing the simple test, know that if you go into "Manage Addons" you will see IE11 believes Java is incompatible with Java. Something in IE is not accepting Java and it has been deliberately programmed that way. Java will not work until Microsoft allows Java to be compatible.

---Mike

Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:11 AM
  • since downloading windows 8.1 my desktop has been useless I don't even go there, I stay in the metro area or whatever its called. I'm hoping the real update will fix the problem.
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:55 PM