none
cannot run explorer.exe minimized

Question

• Hi all,

I created 2 tasks in task scheduler to run at user logon:

one that starts explorer.exe (to go to the desktop and skip the start page), and one that starts the RDP client in public mode. Even if I put a delay on the RDP, it always starts behind the explorer window. So I then tried some switches for explorer (/m, /MIN, mode SHOWMINIMIZED), also went in the user context's properties of file explore and selected "start minimized" and nothing works... I also tried all these switches in the run box and they don't work there either.

Am I missing something? 

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:17 PM

Answers

• Thats a good one and took me some playing around to figure out.  Here's what i did (under the assumption you don't want explorer.exe window at all, just using it to get to desktop mode).  

1.  Modify your current scheduled task of explorer.exe to have the argument "/separate".  What this does is create a separate process of explorer.exe so the second part won't kill the explorer shell but just the explorer window.

2.  Create a new Scheduled task to run at log on and I set it up to Delay for 1 second.  For the action enter "C:\Windows\System32\Taskkill.exe" and the argument to be "/im explorer.exe"

This worked for me on 2 different test machines i tried.  Post back results.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by wilmackie Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:12 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:09 AM

All replies

• Thats a good one and took me some playing around to figure out.  Here's what i did (under the assumption you don't want explorer.exe window at all, just using it to get to desktop mode).  

1.  Modify your current scheduled task of explorer.exe to have the argument "/separate".  What this does is create a separate process of explorer.exe so the second part won't kill the explorer shell but just the explorer window.

2.  Create a new Scheduled task to run at log on and I set it up to Delay for 1 second.  For the action enter "C:\Windows\System32\Taskkill.exe" and the argument to be "/im explorer.exe"

This worked for me on 2 different test machines i tried.  Post back results.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by wilmackie Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:12 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:09 AM
  • That does the trick, thanks!
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Carlo, thanks for sharing this!

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:26 PM
  • hi! i just tried your suggestion but unfortunately it doesn't work. with that second task, explorer is not run (as a separate window) and i did not skip the windows start screen. any updated workaround?
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:26 PM