none
0x80070005 error trying to register DLL

Question

• Hello, I have a client who is trying to run the regsvr32 command on his Vista Home Premium (32-bit) system, but keeps getting the error message <DLL file> was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005. We have tried several options, including:

• verifying that his login account has sufficient permissions on the file and the folder it is located in
    • verifying that his login account is Administrator type
    • temporarily enabling and then logging in with built-in Administrator account and trying to register the file
    • verifying that the file in question is not read-only
    • verifying that his login account has sufficient permissions on key registry entries, specifically ones that pertain to this particular DLL file

The interesting thing is that he can successfully register another DLL file located in the same folder. We have multiple other clients with either the same OS as this particular client, or other flavours of Vista and we are not running into this problem on any of those systems, so this appears to be isolated. Aside from any other possible security issues, could it be that there is a dependent file(s) missing?  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Randy

Monday, July 13, 2009 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Randy, thanks for the post. I suggest you try the following steps to register the file:

1. Click the Start Button, then in the "Start Search" box type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.

2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".

3. In the black command line window, use the command “REGSVR32” to register the file again.

Let’s see if the error still occurs.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Baratwaaj Friday, November 23, 2012 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Hi Randy, thanks for the update. I’d like to inform you that both 0x80070005 and 0x80004005 indicates permission issue. You can check the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/964677

SYMPTOMS

============

The module "C:\Program Files\FRx Software\FRx 6.7\XXX.DLL" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005.

CAUSE

============

This error message will be displayed if the regsvr32.exe command is not run as an Administrator to the Windows Vista machine.

I suggest you also try to turn off UAC temporarily and log on as Administrator and then retry the steps to register the file and see the result.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Narendra Pal Monday, February 17, 2014 8:29 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Hi Sean, thanks again for your reply. Oddly enough, the client turned off UAC yet the error continues to occur. I even had him try copying the DLL in question to a more "public" folder (even though we confirmed that his account has appropriate permissions on the file's current folder), namely his C:\Users\<username>\Documents folder, but still gets the <DLL file> was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005 error. So, despite running Command Prompt as administrator, turning off UAC, confirming sufficient permissions on file and the folder it resides in, logging in with built-in Administrator account, the DLLRegisterServer errors persist.

It's almost as if there is an issue with the security model in his Vista, but I am guessing. Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Randy
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Hi Sean, just wondering if you have any other ideas. I just had the client try a Microsoft tool that resets the security in Vista (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222) - this was because I had him send me his Application Log file from Event Viewer and I noticed other instances where the 0x80004005 error was occurring that were not related to his attempts at registering this DLL file. Unfortunately, even after running the tool the same error occurs when he tries to register the file. This is very perplexing. Again, anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Randy
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Randy:

Thanks a lot, it worked for me

On Window 7 i have had a problem registering DLL, after i follow your steps it helped

Thanks, Ragu

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Thanks a lot everybody, it worked to me as a magic.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:10 PM
  • In addition to the above, we have had reports that some Anti-virus programs interfere with the installation, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus programs, install Office 2010 and then re-enable the AV solution. Programs we've seen having problems with Office 2010 installation:

• Forefront Client Security
    • Panda Cloud Antivirus
    • Clam Antivirus

Also check the task manager to see if you have any background Office tasks running. If so, shut them down. Retry your installation again.

If you experience the same error once again, try restarting your computer and once rebooted, retry your installation.

After closing all applicaitons and running the installer, everything should run smoothly
    • Edited by sophiya depp martin Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by soranazad Friday, September 07, 2012 9:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by soranazad Friday, September 07, 2012 9:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I run into this periodically.  The error is indicative of a permissions issue.  Here are the top three things that usually fix it for me:

1. If this is a freshly downloaded file, make sure it isn't block (Right-click the file in Explorer, choose Properties, click the Unblock button).
    2. Check the security on the file (Right-click the file in Explorer, choose the Security tab and ensure the user has appropriate permissions).
    3. Run a command prompt as an administrator (Right-click the icon and choose Run As Administrator).

-KA

• Proposed as answer by soranazad Friday, September 07, 2012 9:53 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Hi Randy,

This had me stumped for a while.

Saw your update to run cmd line as administrator and it registered the dll's fine.

Regards

Mark

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Hi Randy, thanks for the post. I suggest you try the following steps to register the file:

1. Click the Start Button, then in the "Start Search" box type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.

2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".

3. In the black command line window, use the command “REGSVR32” to register the file again.

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Tanks, its very helpful.
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:05 PM

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Hi Sean,

This is not working for me. I am running Windows 8, is there any other solution

Thanks

Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Hi Sean, thanks for the post, worked like a charm
    Friday, November 16, 2012 5:59 AM
  • Hi Sean, this worked for me. Thanks for your info. 
    Friday, November 23, 2012 6:40 AM

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Worked like a charm, thanks!
    Friday, November 30, 2012 1:49 AM
  • hi I am also having this issue with the creative audio pack and the .dll file not reging am running win 8 64bit and nothing works did you find an answer that worked?thanks kev
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Also having same issues with Windows 8.  Have tried all the suggested solution above, none have worked.
    Friday, August 16, 2013 12:59 PM

•  

Simple solution for “.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005”    

I succeeded to register custom dll files by booting the system in safe mode and login as Administrator, when running Command Prompt with administrator rights and turning off UAC can’t solve the problem.

This worked successfully in Windows Vista Business SP1 and Windows 7 Professional SP1. 

**sa2kalpettaho

• Edited by Roy K J Friday, September 06, 2013 12:37 PM personal
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 7:54 AM
  • Hi I got Windows 8.1 and had same error when running Regsvr. after following these steps now all fixed.

thanks.[run from step 2 and then command prompt I ran reg command..after that I can run reg code

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 4:16 PM
  • I am running Windows 8 and I have been spending most of the day trying to get the ieproxy.dll to successfully register and I still can't get it to work. 

1. I have verified that I am running the command prompt window as an administrator

2. I shut down Windows Defender and Windows Firewall

3. I started up in Safe Mode then ran the command prompt as an administrator

In every case, I always get the same error - The module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

If I unregister the dll that works fine. (regsvr31 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer ieproxy.dll)

It appears that the problem is with permissions when trying to run the DllRegisterServer program.

I am running into this problem as a result of installing Source Gear Vault 3.1.9 yesterday.  Source Gear has told me that this version of their Vault software is not compatible with Windows 8, but I need to install this to work on a clients system.  Source Gear has told me that after installing their Vault software that I need to re-register the ieproxy.dll.  This is where I get stuck.

Gary Frickey

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

I do not have any knowledge on *.dll files and I am not a programmer either. I am supposed to create an online document. I need to attach a digital certificate to this document. In order to create the certificate I was required to copy a dll file to syswow64 folder, which I did. I ran that successfully. This should have lead to creation of a certificate, but its not happening. Any ideas?

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2014 9:17 AM
  • And I am using windows 8.

Hi,

I do not have any knowledge on *.dll files and I am not a programmer either. I am supposed to create an online document. I need to attach a digital certificate to this document. In order to create the certificate I was required to copy a dll file to syswow64 folder, which I did. I ran that successfully. This should have lead to creation of a certificate, but its not happening. Any ideas?

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2014 9:18 AM
  • This worked!  Thank you.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:13 PM