none
Windows 8 Pro Startup and Shutdown Sounds

Question

• Hi All,

Does anybody know where are the Windows 8 Pro Start-up and Shutdown Sounds?

Is there is anyway to enable them?

I am using MS Windows 8 Pro x64

Thanks.

Best regards,

A

AECode

Sunday, November 04, 2012 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Ronnie,

Your input is very interesting, as it's the first time for me to know that the fast start-up is customisable.

Could you please tell me how can I enable/disable the Fast Start-Up option?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

A

AECode

Hi

Perform the following.

• Open Control Panel / Power Options.
    • On the Left side menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to the Shutdown settings section.
    • Remove the check mark from the Turn on Fast Startup option.
    • Select the Save Changes Button.

More information.

Another name for the Fast Startup is Hybrid Boot.

With a normal shutdown everything is closed and nothing is saved.

When the Fast Startup is enabled and the computer is shut down, the User Session is closed, but the Kernel Session is Hibernated.

<quote>

Now here’s the key difference for Windows 8: as in Windows 7, we close the user sessions, but instead of closing the kernel session, we hibernate it. Compared to a full hibernate, which includes a lot of memory pages in use by apps, session 0 hibernation data is much smaller, which takes substantially less time to write to disk.

If you’re not familiar with hibernation, we’re effectively saving the system state and memory contents to a file on disk (hiberfil.sys) and then reading that back in on resume and restoring contents back to memory. Using this technique with boot gives us a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems we’ve tested).

</quote>

Sources:
    Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx
    There are a lot more specific details here, if anyone wants to go deeper: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463386

Regards

• Marked as answer by AECode Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:05 AM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• As far as I know there are no start up or shut down sounds for windows 8.

To get to control panel to change other sounds just start typing control panel from the Windows 8 start screen and you'll see it come up. Open it and just go to sounds after that.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:09 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks.

Best regards,

A

AECode

Hi

When you select the Sounds component/Sounds Tab in Control Panel, there is a Check Box at the bottom of the dialog box for Play Startup Sound.

There is no Shutdown sound that I can find.

Regards

Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:46 AM
  • I was looking into this as well. The options to change them are no longer in the Sounds menu to change. But they do still show in the registry. I only realized today that I wasn't hearing any new sounds, and a lot were missing.

The Win8 install removed all the .wav files from the (optional sounds) directories, but didn't remove the directories - then it didn't change the registry to point to the new "Windows Default" sounds, which are now in the root of C:\Windows\Media. (I'm probably one of the few people who actually change the Windows sounds.)

Selecting "Windows Default" in the Sounds panel updated all the sounds.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\WindowsLogoff

%SystemRoot%\media\Windows Logoff Sound.wav

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\WindowsLogon

%SystemRoot%\media\Windows Logon.wav

If you want, you can change the registry entries to point to new sounds. Or you can just replace the actual sound files with something you like and not touch the registry.

I'm pretty sure the Sounds panel used to let us select an MP3 file for sounds as I have had some fairly strange start up sounds and music in the past, it won't let me now. I don't recall having converted them from MP3 to WAV. Windows has had pretty much the same sound schemes since Longhorn or even Win2k, if I recall correctly.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:14 AM
  • Hi R Sully,

Yes you're right, I did your changes, but it doesn't take any effect. Do you or anybody have any idea why?

The check box in the Sounds component/Sounds, is already ticked by default.

Thanks in advance for all of you.

Regards,

A

AECode

Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks.

Best regards,

A

AECode

Hi

When you select the Sounds component/Sounds Tab in Control Panel, there is a Check Box at the bottom of the dialog box for Play Startup Sound.

There is no Shutdown sound that I can find.

Regards

It's checked by default. Thanks for your help.

AECode

Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:22 PM
  • It's checked by default. Thanks for your help.

AECode

Hi

More information.

If you have the Fast Startup option enabled, you will not hear the Startup Sound, even if it is enabled.

If you Restart the system, instead of shutting down and starting, then you should hear the sound.

Regards

Monday, November 05, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Your input is very interesting, as it's the first time for me to know that the fast start-up is customisable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

A

AECode

Monday, November 05, 2012 11:12 AM
  • There is a startup sound but it plays only when a full shutdown/restart is done, not when resuming from hibernation which hybrid/fast shutdown uses. And they removed the logoff and logon sounds for fun and games (to give more value).
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Monday, November 05, 2012 11:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AECode Monday, November 05, 2012 11:36 AM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hi xpclient,

Before you entered your post, I was doing a full shut down to my pc. No sound is heard.

Thanks for your help.

A

AECode

Monday, November 05, 2012 11:35 AM
  • You have to do two things to do a full shutdown on Windows 8.

1. You have to hold down Shift while clicking "Shutdown". Only then a full Shutdown is performed. If you are using a Start Menu replacement, make it supports that feature as well. Classic Shell supports Shift+shutdown=full shutdown. I dunno about Start8 or other menus.

2. You have to make sure obviously that from Sounds Control Panel, "Play Windows Startup sound" checkbox is checked.

Monday, November 05, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

A

AECode

Hi

Perform the following.

• Open Control Panel / Power Options.
    • On the Left side menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to the Shutdown settings section.
    • Remove the check mark from the Turn on Fast Startup option.
    • Select the Save Changes Button.

More information.

Another name for the Fast Startup is Hybrid Boot.

With a normal shutdown everything is closed and nothing is saved.

When the Fast Startup is enabled and the computer is shut down, the User Session is closed, but the Kernel Session is Hibernated.

<quote>

Now here’s the key difference for Windows 8: as in Windows 7, we close the user sessions, but instead of closing the kernel session, we hibernate it. Compared to a full hibernate, which includes a lot of memory pages in use by apps, session 0 hibernation data is much smaller, which takes substantially less time to write to disk.

If you’re not familiar with hibernation, we’re effectively saving the system state and memory contents to a file on disk (hiberfil.sys) and then reading that back in on resume and restoring contents back to memory. Using this technique with boot gives us a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems we’ve tested).

</quote>

Sources:
    Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx
    There are a lot more specific details here, if anyone wants to go deeper: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463386

Regards

• Marked as answer by AECode Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:05 AM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi Ronnie,

Such a genius solution! It works like a magic!

But I prefer keeping it into it's fast start-up, after I understand what is the deference between them.

Many thanks for you and for all who give me them hands to help.

Thanks.

Best regards,

A

AECode

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:08 AM
  • Nope, disabling hybrid boot, still the 'log on' , 'log off' and 'exit windows' sounds effects never sound. Win8 64-bit Pro, final.

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:38 PM
  • After doing some research, seems like logon, logoff, and unlock sounds in Windows 8 are disabled. Even if you enable them in the registry, they won't play. Also you can't customize the startup sound unless you modify system dlls (not recommended).

Realize this thread is slightly old, but I couldn't find any answer for how to get around this online. But after some research I found a workaround using scripts. It works mostly the same. Posting this for future seekers.

This should work with any scripting system (powershell, python, etc.), but I prefer auto hotkey
    First install your scripting system, then make a script that plays a sound. In autohotkey you can do this with a single line:

SoundPlay, %1%, wait

Save this script somewhere e.g. my documents. I named mine "play_sound.ahk"

Login, Unlock, Lock Sounds

Open up the Task Scheduler, in the Windows 8 start menu it shows up as "schedule tasks".

Create a new task.

- Trigger: Use "At log on", "On workstation unlock", "On workstation lock" for the corresponding cases.
     - Action:
         - Program/script: browse to your "play_sound.ahk" script file
         - Add arguments (optional): use the full path to your .wav file in quotes e.g. "D:\Dropbox\Documents\Notification.wav"

Create a task for each sound you want. I had one for logon and unlock, and another one for lock.

Starutp, Shutdown

Open up the Local Group Policy Editor. Do this by run -> gpedit.msc.

Browse to "Computer Configuration" -> "Windows Settings" -> "Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)"

On the right, it lists "Startup" and "Shutdown". Double click on the one you want to play a sound for.

Then Click on "Add..."
     - Script Name: browse to your "play_sound.ahk" script file
     - Script Parameters: use the full path to your .wav file in quotes e.g. "D:\Dropbox\Documents\Notification.wav"

Notes:
    - Sounds probably need to be .wav files. Haven't tried with other file types, but probably won't work.
    - Startup sound doesn't play immediately. After reaching the logon screen, it takes several seconds for it play. So if you logon quickly your logon sound may conflict with your startup sound. So I don't use a startup sound.
    - No way to play a sound at logoff currently.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:26 AM
  • As R Sully said, you can make the sounds in question re-appear, but they do not re-sound. For those like me who were stumped by this issue (I'm running Windows 8 Build 9200), I propose a simple solution that works fine for me: Create a script and put it in your (not All users/public) Startup folder. It's in a hidden folder under your User root called AppData. This script is located at the following website: please paste this link into your address bar-my ability to link is compromised right now.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2004/11/03/how-can-i-play-a-sound-from-within-a-script.aspx

There's something you should know-sndrec32.exe is no longer in windows 8 and the new SoundRecorder.exe, located in the system32 folder, is unable to run from there because it's 64-bit and cannot launch from a 32-bit container. I suggest smallplayer portable, available from Softpedia via this link: you need to paste it-I cannot link for some reason...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Multimedia/Audio/Small-Player.shtml

When you compose the script (using notepad), make sure you replace the sndrec32.exe path with the file location of smallpayer0.74. To copy a path, simply use the command on File explorer when the file is highlighted. Then highlight the path for sndrec32, and paste the link over it. Delete any quotation marks that are not outside the total path, arguments included (e.g. /play /close) otherwise the script will fail, showing you a dialog that says where the error is in the script, e.g. Line 3, Char 31. For the sound you want to play, simply highlight the preset path from quote-to-quote, switch windows to look for a file, then when you find it, copy the file path using the same method you used to copy smallplayer0.74's path. Then switch back to notepad, and use Ctrl+V to paste, and the path that was there previously will be replaced by what you pasted. If the file looks similar to what The Scripting Guy displays (besides the edits I've mentioned), save as All files, and name the document with a .vbs extension (the name is up to you).

From there, copy and paste the .vbs file into your startup folder, located in %OS%\Users\%YOURUSER%\AppData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\. You may need to "show Hidden Files and Folders."

I hope this works for anyone who's suffered the same frustration I had.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Hi

I've tried to do this but I can't get it to work.

Here's my script, can anyone tell me by looking at it what's wrong?

strSoundFile = C:\My Windows Sounds\Hello Michael Brit.wav
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    strCommand = C:\Small Player\splayer.exe" /play /close "C:\Windows\My Windows Sounds\Hello Michael Brit.wav"
    objShell.Run strCommand, 0, True

I have the 64 bit version of Small Player installed at the location shown, C:\Small Player\splayer.exe.

My sound is in C:\Window\My Windows Sounds.

The file is named Hello Michael Brit.wav.

This is all new to me so I'm kind of playing it by ear.

I've verified that the sound does play in Small Player.

Mike

• Edited by MikeMoss Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:57 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:53 PM
  • My computer also no start up sound.

there is no Windows 8 Pro Start-up and Shutdown Sounds.

I am using also MS Windows 8 Pro x64

Bill gates... alo ....

no sound.

aloooooo.

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:00 PM
  • hey but get the option to customize sound by browse option......however, I dont get them ready like win7 ultimate such as afternoon,etc.....i copied all sound files from my older laptop and pasted and a bit browsing......it works well !!
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Hey there,

I was recently playing around with my Windows 8.1 computer and stumbled across a option to do what you want. Go in to your 'Charms bar', Click Settings then Personalisation. Click sounds on 'Sounds' located next to 'Desktop background' and 'Colour'. Once there, tick the option: 'Play Windows Start-up sound'.

Whilst this method did not work for me (On my Windows 8.1 computer) it did work for my sister and her Windows 8 computer. If anybody could help me to get my PC to play the sounds, it would be highly appreciated. 

If this method does not work, it's probably because I live in England, so some settings are different over here then in the United States or other countries.

Have a good day!

Friday, December 27, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Which solution is the genius solution, since none of them work for me.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:02 PM