none
will my ati radeon 9200 se work with windows 7

Question

• can you help me get driver for my ati radeon 9200se video card, and will windows 7 run it?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, September 06, 2009 3:00 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• According to the AMD/ATI website, that video card chipset only supports Windows 98/98SE, ME, Win 2000 and XP. There's no mention of Windows Vista. Given that this isn't a relatively recent AMD/ATI release, it may or may not be supported under Windows 7 properly. It's almost a sure bet it won't do AERO properly - especially if it only has 64 MB of onboard video memory.

If you've got it installed in a computer with XP loaded, you can download the Vista Upgrade Advisor from Microsoft. It will tell you if you're going to have any problems with Vista. Windows 7 has a very similar driver model - and Vista drivers can be made to work with Windows 7.

Good luck...
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Go to AMD/ATI’s website to download: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

You will have to load and install the Windows XP drivers as AMD/ATI does not have Vista/7 drivers for Radeon 9200 series.  Do be aware that you may need to run the drivers in compatibility mode to get them to load.  Also, since you will now be using XPDM drivers instead of WDDM drivers, you will lose a lot of the stability and performance benefits native to WDDM drivers.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd229906(VS.85).aspx for more information regarding the difference between XPDM and WDDM.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:18 PM
  • can you help me get driver for my ati radeon 9200se video card, and will windows 7 run it?

Hi

That is a very old card. It looks like the latest drivers for that card were for Windows XP.

You may be able to get this card to work for the basic functions in Windows 7, if you install the drivers using the XP Compatibility Mode option.

However, you will probably be able to use the advanced Aero display options.

You can check for the latest drivers and get more information on the following website.

ATI Radeon Driver Downloads

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:20 PM

All replies

• Go to AMD/ATI’s website to download: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

You will have to load and install the Windows XP drivers as AMD/ATI does not have Vista/7 drivers for Radeon 9200 series.  Do be aware that you may need to run the drivers in compatibility mode to get them to load.  Also, since you will now be using XPDM drivers instead of WDDM drivers, you will lose a lot of the stability and performance benefits native to WDDM drivers.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd229906(VS.85).aspx for more information regarding the difference between XPDM and WDDM.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:18 PM

Hi

That is a very old card. It looks like the latest drivers for that card were for Windows XP.

You may be able to get this card to work for the basic functions in Windows 7, if you install the drivers using the XP Compatibility Mode option.

However, you will probably be able to use the advanced Aero display options.

You can check for the latest drivers and get more information on the following website.

ATI Radeon Driver Downloads

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:20 PM
  • According to the AMD/ATI website, that video card chipset only supports Windows 98/98SE, ME, Win 2000 and XP. There's no mention of Windows Vista. Given that this isn't a relatively recent AMD/ATI release, it may or may not be supported under Windows 7 properly. It's almost a sure bet it won't do AERO properly - especially if it only has 64 MB of onboard video memory.

If you've got it installed in a computer with XP loaded, you can download the Vista Upgrade Advisor from Microsoft. It will tell you if you're going to have any problems with Vista. Windows 7 has a very similar driver model - and Vista drivers can be made to work with Windows 7.

Good luck...
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:26 PM
  • It's interesting to note that I installed Windows 7 and Ubuntu at about the same time on the same computer which has a ati 9200 card installed. Ubuntu had no problems recognizing the card and set it up automatically for display on my Dell 24" widescreen. Windows 7 - no luck, even after many attempts at installing a compatible driver. Bummer.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Jim -

Bummer indeed. But then again, that 9200 card hasn't been supported since XP. As I posted previously, that card wasn't supported under Vista either. So it's not too surprising that Windows 7 doesn't support it either.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:02 AM
  • Hi All,
    This might not be the correct thread and it's a bit late for this but I'll try anyway. I got a really Jurassic PC

Motherboard: ECS P4M800 RAM: 512mb Processor: Intel 2.13Ghz Processor Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200se OS: Black XP

I previously had a GeForce4 MX 4000 but my brother gave me his 9200se card.

I installed it and after intallation and using the supposed updated my monitor was ok but after seeing the loading bar the screen went blank and not even disabling the onboard vga card on the motherboard helped in bringing the picture back. I already tried doing a clean reinstall of the OS but still nothing. Can you guys help me out. Oh, I remember before that thing happened a not showed up on the screen where it showed unable to load graphic acceleration drivers or something. Can you guys give me some insight or a way around this or should i throw the card away and go with either a GeForce FX 5200 or FX 5500?

Monday, July 06, 2009 5:34 PM
  • InihawNaSabaw -

If you're going to get yourself a video card, your best bet would be one that's at least supported under Vista.

For the Nvidia GeForce family, that would mean a bare minimum of a GeForce 6100. For an AMD/ATI card, the bare minimum is a Radeon 9800. Make sure it's got at least 128 MB of video memory.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Wolfie2k6,

Thanks for the insight, I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it is also time for me to get a new PC. Well regarding Vista I'm still a bit comfortable with XP. I don't want to jump into the Vista bandwagon just yet because i heard that there are a lot of things that are not compatible with Vista. Any how, I really do need a new gfx card. I really just wanna play the Prince of Persia Sands of time, I Finished the other POP warrior within and two thrones, they were the only ones that worked w/ my old gfx card. BTW, will it matter if I get a 128mb or higher is that over rated? I can see a lot of gfx cards having up to 1gb on it or more.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 11:48 PM
  • InihawNaSabaw -

You're welcome...

As far as getting a new PC - that might well be a good plan. You would probably be happier with more RAM. 512 MB system memory is fairly low these days.

128 MB is the LOW end of the spectrum. That would be the bare minimum to go forward with Vista or Windows 7. But given how you like games - many of them require a good amount of video memory as well.  Check the system requirements for the games you want to play and use that as a starting point for looking for a new video card. Never hurts to go ABOVE the specifications.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Sure thing Wolfie2k6. Thanks! =)
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Windows 7 & Ati Radeon 9200se

OK so here’s the deal.

I tried all the XP Drivers for the Ati Radeon 9200SE video card in Windows 7 and I kept getting a blue screen of death when I would reboot my computer.

It would reference the offending file as “ati2dvrag.dll” or something close to that! Some sort of memory access error or something…

I even tried to install the files with the compatibility mode set to XP-SP3 and still nothing!

So I tried some unorthodox things and I can now restart or shutdown and restart without getting a blue screen. Please see below.

1.       Install the Win2K Drivers instead! (but not the software)(throw on compatibility mode Xp-SP2 just for ____ of it… forgot how but computer recommended this setting)

2.       Do not restart Computer when asked, instead remove ati2dvrag.dll from system32 folder… put it on your desktop or something.

3.       Logoff computer… Graphics will look like ____… log back in and return ati2dvrag.dll to system32 folder.

4.       Logoff computer again… Graphics will reset and look great again!

5.       Restart Computer (At this point my system shutdown perfectly without blue screen!)

6.       When computer restarts, check all setting to make sure your monitor displays properly and the way you like. ( I tested resolution setting and what not and all was well)

7.       Shutdown computer again to test and make sure still no blue screen!

I really don’t know if it was just the Win2k driver or not, because the above is just how I went about it. By this point I had already restarted my computer a million times and I was getting irritated! But just to let you know, the XP and Win2k drivers both have the ati2dvrag.dll file… The 2k Version is older though so I thought why not take the chance.

Ryan B.

• Proposed as answer by ram4life Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:00 PM
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:47 AM
  • i finally got it working. the guy who wrote we need to install the win2000 driver was right.
    these were my exact steps:
    keep the original driver you have (the one with the blue screen error)
    1) download the windows 2000 driver (not windows ME, like i did at first)(and not the program, just the driver "option 2, display driver")
    2) create a shortcut of your system32 folder on your desktop (just to make it easier for you)
    3) close all applications you don't need
    4) right-click on the driver and go to properties> compatibility > check the first box (run this program in compatibility mode for) and select windows xp service pack 2> apply> close.
    5) run the program as administrator
    6) after install, don't restart. to go system32 (that shortcut)
    7) cut the " ati2dvag.dll " and paste to desktop (you NEED it afterwards)
    8) log off, and log back on (the screen will go black) you won't see anything cause the monitor can't display anything.
    9) press start> right> right> up> up> enter. this will restart your computer. when it loads up, the graphics will look like garbage. DON'T WORRY!
    10) cut and paste the ati2dvag.dll file back to system32, and log off and on again.
    11) this time it'll look proper.
    12) restart or shutdown, it'll get rid of the blue screen problem and it'll run smoothly.

"you don't have to thank me"
    • Proposed as answer by tsericky Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:55 AM
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:01 PM
  • You can't get a solution from ATI/AMD they are not providing a driver for the 9200 legacy card.  I found a perfect solution at CNET, the link is:

Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:21 AM
  • I got it work with RBuschyx & Ram4life's method.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:59 AM
  • yes, it did work, Thanks, RBuschyx & Ram4life
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:36 PM
  • RBuschyx & Ram4life's method do work on my system.
    I wonder if it has a side-effect on future..
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:45 AM
  • RBuschyx & Ram4life's method do work on my system.
    I wonder if it has a side-effect on future..

no it has no side-effects for the future.
    The only thing i dont like about it is you cant use the Windows Aero Feature and i dont think u will be able to use the video output feature.

the funny thing is i bought a new graphic card (the ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro) and my PSU didnt have enough power to supply it. So when i figured this out, it did something to my mobo and the computer doesnt last more than 15min. it shuts down. still working on fixing this problem. if someone can help me PLEASE HELP!!!
    i also got a 400watt powersupply that still didnt solve this problem. The graphic card needs recommended 300watts.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 6:48 PM
  • YEAH GREAT SOLUTION ITS WORKS!!!!!! JUST WORKS!!!!! NICE WORK!!
    Monday, December 27, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Awesome, Thanks - the ram4life's trick worked very well.

Although I wonder whether the 'remove DLL' and 'put back DLL' trick really a part of the solution or just a voodoo (it doesn't make much sense). Maybe it's just the win2k drivers? Anyway - it saved me from buying a new machine. thanks.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:46 PM
  • try upgrading to a 450W if that don't work i suggest a 500w, but on average a 450 - 500 w psu works just fine
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:25 PM
  • I've got it working , without compapility mode and NO BSOD.

Download this driver and extract the files.

http://rapidshare.com/files/3171134015/atiXDDM.rar

Open device manager and install the driver manually.

Select the folder where you extracted the files.

It will ask you if you are sure because the drivers are not signed.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:52 PM
  • I've got it working , without compapility mode and NO BSOD.

Download this driver and extract the files.

http://rapidshare.com/files/3171134015/atiXDDM.rar

Open device manager and install the driver manually.

Select the folder where you extracted the files.

It will ask you if you are sure because the drivers are not signed.

yes man you are right! I was not using winZ since a lot of time 'cause I passed to Slackware Linux since 2007 but I was curious to see 7 and it I was able to make it working on my P4 2,4 GHz.. I was able.. :D the oly trouble was that I always saw a Standard VGA instead of my ATI 9200 compatible (that linux recognize even in Live mode.. just to say): so my Aereo and 3d games results was only !! So I start to fin for solutions and I download various drivers from ATI site and Gigabyte one, too (the video card is a Gigabyte ati compatible, as I said): but the Setup.exe files never were able to install the driver! So I try bo unzip the folder and makes winZ search for the right driver into the DRIVER subfolder were I unzip all.. so I was to install the driver, but - oh my God! - Aereo still doesn't work! Now my Aereo points are 1,9.. I have 128 MB RAM.. WTH I have to do?? When I read the solutions about cutting and copying again the ati driver from system32 folder I smile.. my method is much easier and I'm happy someone else still found it! So.. now.. no Aereo?? I thjink I'll cut off ASAIC7 away.. Slackware is missing me!! :D
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:56 PM