none
added foreign hard drive (d:) now Vista RC1 won't boot without it ?

Question

• I added my old XP Pro C drive as drive D in MY Vista RC1 PC, just to copy some data off it.

Now when I come to remove it, Vista won't boot, even though it is not the boot drive ??

Cheers

Mat

Friday, September 15, 2006 12:30 PM

All replies

• I have also done a similar action and later removed the second HDD without any Problem.

No Bootup errors afterwards. So it is not a "bug" or something related to the OS.

Tell us how the Disks are connected ( S-Ata / IDE )  to the Motherboard.

Have you rejumpered the Disks ( Master / Slave ) , e.g. is the now disconnected HDD still present in BIOS ?

How have you used the Disk in Vista ?

Did you made shortcuts in Vista that point to files residing on the Second ( now disconnected ) HDD so that vista cannot find the Originals anymore?

Have you tried to boot the PC from the Vista-DVD and used the "fix boot-problems" option ?

( Item under "install now" )

Please explain a bit more what exactly you have done before you removed the Disk or if problem is solved.

SBJ

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:30 PM
  • Hi, they are both sata

Devices are fine in the bios

Probably have got shot cuts in Vista to the other drive

I haven't tried to fix the boot problems, yet!

All I did was added the drive to get some file of it.

Then wanted to remove the drive to put it back in the repaired XP Pro w/s, but neither are happy about booting now.

As soon as I replace in the Vista RC1 PC it's fine :)

Thanks

Friday, September 15, 2006 8:51 PM
  • Hi, I have a couple questions about your setup.

Was the D drive installed in your computer when when you installed Vista?

When you say you added the drive, how did you do it?  Was the drive just automatically detected, or did you have to do anything (like "initialize it") in Disk Management?

If you can see the D drive in Vista's Disk Management, is it set as "active"?  Vista might have set the D partition "non-active" to ensure that Vista would continue to boot.

Dave

Saturday, September 16, 2006 10:47 PM