none
can't watch netflix instant movies anymore after sp1

Question

• get the following error code:

Video Driver Error
    Your computer's video card driver may not support the Netflix Movie Viewer. Sometimes simply rebooting your computer will fix the problem. If not, please obtain the latest driver from your computer's video card manufacturer or its web site, install it, reboot your computer, and try to play a movie again.

For further information, see our Video Driver Error FAQ. If the problem persists, or you would like assistance, please contact Netflix technical support and report the following error code(s): WMPError(C00D1197)

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

did all above. contacted netflix and tried several things but no go. i currently have the latest video driver for the video card from dell support installed. media player plays everything else just fine. watched instant movies just fine before sp1 install.

anyone have this issue? any suggestions? thanks !!

Monday, April 07, 2008 4:58 PM

All replies

• Okay,

You have a Dell. That's about as much information about your hardware platform as I can pull from your post.

Dell may have made the computer, but they did nto make the parts that go in it. Therefore, you should probably find who makes the video card and get the "reference" drivers from their site.

Dells drivers "can" be 3-4 months older than reference drivers, which are updated more frequently, especially now that SP1 has been released.

I'm guessing you have one of the following as the maker of your videocard

Intel (a little more likely if you are using one of their lower end laptops)

ATI (possible if you're using a mid-range or higher laptop or desktop)

nVidia (possible if you are using a mid-range or higher laptop or desktop)

First step is to find which video card you have

Second step is to go to the site and download the latest drivers

Third step is uninstall the current drivers

Fourth step is to install the new drivers

Fifth step is Reboot (always)

See if problem persists

From your post, it sounds like Netflix comes with an application to let you watch the movies on your computer.

You may need to reinstall that application after upgrading your video card driver so be sure to download the latest version of the netflix app (if netflix has an application that you install)

Monday, April 07, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I do have an ATI Radion card and I have installed the latest driver from ATI. Much newer than on the Dell site.

I do have the required netflix movie viewer and have removed and reinstalled. But I seem to remember doing that before I updated the video driver. I will do that again now that the new video driver has been installed and see what happens.

Googling the error code reveals this to be a WMP registry issue. I am not comfortable messing with that. Wouldn't even know where to look for it. Following the links brings you to a RegCure app that claims to be free. It is not. 

Does anyone know where there may be a "Truly" free registry repair tool that is straitforward and easy to use to solve this problem? 

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:00 PM
  • The problem is not the registry, it is ATI's lack of support for COPP (Certified Output Protection Protocol).  I hear that ATI's Catalyst version 7.1 supported COPP, but nothing in the 8.2 - 8.5 range works for me.  The other movie viewers seem to use other protections, Netflix chose this one.  Probably a mistake for them.

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:25 PM
  • @ CG-ENG - I just installed the latest ATI driver - 8.6 - and still will not work. same error code. I and netflix tech service have tried everything else. Would it be OK to go back to 7.1 and if so, where do I get it? Or should we press netflix to go with a different protection protocol? Your thoughts please!!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:59 PM
  •  

I got this error about a week ago, and finally had to call netflix to find out what was up.

anyway, what the tech support guy had me do was reset IE7(Tools-->Internet Options---->Advanced(Tab)----> Click reset)

this fixed my problem.

What the guy told me was this error has to do with how many viewing licenses you are using, and that if you use the browser back button instead of the "back to browsing" button on the actual page you are more inclined to get this error.  Also depending on which DVD out at a time plan you have, you can only have that many simult views.. ie, 1 DVD out at a time is 1 simult viewing license.  And if you have the Roku box that counts as a simult viewing license.

I hope this helped you out!

Stephen

Sunday, September 14, 2008 2:02 AM
  •  

Hey,

I had the same video driver error message when viewing the instant watch feature.  I clicked on contact netflix techinal support and called the 1 866 number and put in the code.  The tech rep came on, I gave them a summary and she knew what it was.  I never updated by driver for the video card.  She said, Intel cards has this issue.  I had to update something on the more options under Windows media player and after that I was set.  Give them a call.  Hopefully this helps. 

Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Download the free registry tool and run it. It will find several errors but it says it can only fix to have it fix those two errors and they just happen to be the errors that allow netflix to run.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:31 PM