none
How to Register Windows 7

Question

• I purchased the new Home Priemum version of Windows 7 to upgrade from Vista back in July 2009.  Downloaded my new Windows 7 software this week and installed it with no problems except I chose the register later when asked and wrote down my product code wrong, what do I do to register now?  Do not want to have to buy another copy.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers

• Do you mean "register" or "activate"? I presume that you mean "activate", which is mandatory.

If you don't have such an email, I imagine that your key is still available from wherever you got your download. You shouldn't have to buy another copy.

Endorsed!  The process of 'registering' any software whatsoever is really just an exercise in inviting spammy emaiul afterwards.  It's optional, and best avoided.

You should have received email messages confirming your order, as mentioned, and they should have included the install key code allocated to you.  If for some reason or other you no longer have any record of the relevent email messages then you should contact the customer support departement at whatever vendor or service you purchased your copy of Windows 7 from.

You'll probably be asked to supply the relevent order number, or other identifying information.  If you've kept no records whatsoever of the transaction then you might find yourself in a spot of bother.

What install procedure did you perform?  Upgrade install or custom clean install?  If a 'custom' install then your old records might well still be in the 'WINDOWS.OLD' folder and thus recoverable.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 13, 2009 3:10 AM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:32 PM

All replies

• Try here to register Windows 7.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 7:19 PM
  • I purchased the new Home Priemum version of Windows 7 to upgrade from Vista back in July 2009.  Downloaded my new Windows 7 software this week and installed it with no problems except I chose the register later when asked and wrote down my product code wrong, what do I do to register now?  Do not want to have to buy another copy.

Do you mean "register" or "activate"? I presume that you mean "activate", which is mandatory.

How did you get your Win7 upgrade version? For example: I purchased mine (pre-order) from the Microsoft Store. The email that informed me it was available for download included a license key. The same key appeared when I went to the store using the download link.

If you don't have such an email, I imagine that your key is still available from wherever you got your download. You shouldn't have to buy another copy.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Do you mean "register" or "activate"? I presume that you mean "activate", which is mandatory.

Endorsed!  The process of 'registering' any software whatsoever is really just an exercise in inviting spammy emaiul afterwards.  It's optional, and best avoided.

You should have received email messages confirming your order, as mentioned, and they should have included the install key code allocated to you.  If for some reason or other you no longer have any record of the relevent email messages then you should contact the customer support departement at whatever vendor or service you purchased your copy of Windows 7 from.

You'll probably be asked to supply the relevent order number, or other identifying information.  If you've kept no records whatsoever of the transaction then you might find yourself in a spot of bother.

What install procedure did you perform?  Upgrade install or custom clean install?  If a 'custom' install then your old records might well still be in the 'WINDOWS.OLD' folder and thus recoverable.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 13, 2009 3:10 AM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:32 PM
  • If the product key is available, to activate Windows 7, click the Start button, right click on Computer and choose Properties. Go to the Windows activation section and choose activate. Then, type the product key you have.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:10 AM