none
How to create Windows 7 Recovery Disc

Question

• I have a Windows 7 Machine that needs to be recovered.  It was (clean) installed from Windows 7 Professional.  Later on I applied all system updates and it went to SP1.  And then I did an inplace upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Question I have is, how do I create a recovery disc, or what disc can I use in order to perform a system repair?

Can I use the original Win 7 Professional disc or do I need to do something else?

Sunday, May 08, 2011 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Scorpio_Milo -

I appreciate the help, but my problem is that the system I want to repair is Windows 7 Ultimate, but I only have access to a Win 7 Professional machine.  Is that going to be sufficient (to create a system repair disc for a 7 Ultimate machine from a 7 Professional machine).

I doubt you could use win 7 pro to repair a win 7 ultimate, been there done that. You would need to use the same OS repair disc to do the job.

You could infact use win 7 ultimate CD to repair if you're able to grab hold of any, or if you're able to boot into windows, go to ctrl panel>system & security>backup & restore, next choose create a system repair disc.

Monday, May 09, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Actually you can use any Windows RE disk, these are not bound by SKU's. The only thing that matters though is that you use a restore disk of the same architecture.

If both your Windows disks, the Professional and Ultimate are of the same architecture type (32-bit or 64-bit) you should have no problem using them. However if they are not the same, it will not work to restore the system.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:06 PM
  • If you need to do In-place Upgrade, you do not need any disk. Just keep a Windows 7 Ultimate installation disk on your local drive.

If you need to boot into WinRE to run System Restore or restore from Windows Image Backup, you can use the Windows 7 Professional disk to enter WinRE, as Stephan Schwarz said.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hello John_es,

You will need a blank disc for building a system repair disk. Please refer to the following link.

Create a system repair disc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician
    MCITP: Server & Enterprise Administrator
    Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant
    Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    My Blog
    Contact me

Sunday, May 08, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi Scorpio_Milo -

I appreciate the help, but my problem is that the system I want to repair is Windows 7 Ultimate, but I only have access to a Win 7 Professional machine.  Is that going to be sufficient (to create a system repair disc for a 7 Ultimate machine from a 7 Professional machine).

Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Hi Scorpio_Milo -

I doubt you could use win 7 pro to repair a win 7 ultimate, been there done that. You would need to use the same OS repair disc to do the job.

You could infact use win 7 ultimate CD to repair if you're able to grab hold of any, or if you're able to boot into windows, go to ctrl panel>system & security>backup & restore, next choose create a system repair disc.

Monday, May 09, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Actually you can use any Windows RE disk, these are not bound by SKU's. The only thing that matters though is that you use a restore disk of the same architecture.

If both your Windows disks, the Professional and Ultimate are of the same architecture type (32-bit or 64-bit) you should have no problem using them. However if they are not the same, it will not work to restore the system.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If you one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :)
    Monday, May 09, 2011 7:06 PM
  • If you need to do In-place Upgrade, you do not need any disk. Just keep a Windows 7 Ultimate installation disk on your local drive.

If you need to boot into WinRE to run System Restore or restore from Windows Image Backup, you can use the Windows 7 Professional disk to enter WinRE, as Stephan Schwarz said.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:13 AM