none
What's so great about Windows8?

General discussion

• A wee anecdote (w/ a moral):

Now, to approach this in my own way & maybe, hopefully put a message across...

People often ask me, what's so special about Windows8.  OR, "I can't see any reason to want it over what I have" OR "that damned UI & those blasted APPs" OR why is it any better than 7 or my (please don't take it away from me) XP, etc, etc, etc.

I have oft said Win8 is cool because it does things (for you) all by itself & w/out adding software or bothering w/ install discs; there are many examples of this.  For the moment my story focuses on one in particular.  This is a commonplace thing that countless people want to do everyday.

I have a Nokia cel phone (brand not, really, critical, here).  It takes photos.  I want to take those from that device to my PC to save and or share.  As stated, something that applies to countless folks, these days.   In Windows7 I downloaded, installed (& Updated) Nokia Suite, the phone got connected, recognised & so on... a whole process to be able to grab photos from the device.

Now, we come to Windows8.  Did not have to lift a finger... 8 did everything, instantly, all by itself.  All I did was connected the phone via USB to the computer.  Windows8, Johnny-on-the-spot,  installed "the Device".    No (Nokia) phone program or software installed had been installed (nor ever needed to be).  Went to Windows Live Photos... phone showed but, it found no photos, hmmmm.  Windows Media Player sees the device but, that only send files TO the device.  However, what about one of those 'ridiculous' APPs?? There's a Windows8 Photos APP. Hmmmm... Connect the phone, Clk Photos APP & voila, immediately, there's all the photos in the phone on the screen.  Check ALL or the ones wanted, @ that moment, @ the bottom of the screen is a 'box' showing a dated folder to which, the selected shots will go and an Import button.  Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, it is DONE.

Point is to see & know that Win8 does have some cool things going for it. It does make doing things quick & EASY and all by itself, natively. This is not, was not the case w/ previous Windows Operating Systems. So, anyway, the above is just one of many things that come to mind when someone asks, "What's so great about Windows8?"

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Friday, September 07, 2012 5:14 AM

All replies

• DUH, except for waste-space, rhetorical, questions from you... in forums & face to face conversations, of course.  Stop wasting space w/ your ridiculous comments.

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:09 AM
  • This is a Managed Forum.  Microsoft will deal w/ you soon.  For the rest of us, ignoring you is best.

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:44 AM
  • I do not get that.  Did you, even, try cancelling the sign-in for an account?  & god knows where you get this "controlling" rubbish.  Geeesh.

Friday, September 07, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Ah...the photos app. What I found was...

1. It asked me to log in...just like the screenshot above.

2. It didn't ask me where I wanted to store the photos...or organize them in any folder structure I could control

3. It didn't separate the video from the photos...everything got dumped into a single folder

4. It didn't ask me to clean up the photos still on the device...I had to do that manually.

So...all in all...the Photos app that comes with Windows 8 is much too basic. Any other photo app released in the past 10+ years is better than this. I had to manully go about fixing things after the app was done because it couldn't even do the most basic things I've come to expect from even freeware....and that is not acceptable. This is NOT a great case for Windows 8.

• Edited by SAS71 Friday, September 07, 2012 6:44 PM
    Friday, September 07, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Ah...the photos app. What I found was...

1. It asked me to log in...just like the screenshot above.

2. It didn't ask me where I wanted to store the photos...or organize them in any folder structure I could control

3. It didn't separate the video from the photos...everything got dumped into a single folder

4. It didn't ask me to clean up the photos still on the device...I had to do that manually.

So...all in all...the Photos app that comes with Windows 8 is much too basic. Any other photo app released in the past 10+ years is better than this. Sorry, but I had to manully go about fixing things after the app was done because it couldn't even do the most basic things I've come to expect from even freeware.

It never asked me to log in but I would agree with the rest. The app needs a little refinement then I think it would be great.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Geeez, maybe I'm just lucky w/ the APP I have.  I could have changed the dated folder it gave to a personal choice.  It's likely we'll see more advancement & refinement in APPs @ final release of the OS & as time goes along.
    My point was/is that there is some 'smarts' & (built-in) abilities in Win8 & some APPs that are helpful, clever & do lessen the burden or fuss necessary, on the past.  W/out citing specific examples or dwelling on any of those, in principle, the point has validity.  Comes w/ things we'd used to have to add or do manually.

Admittedly, there are some APPs that are not as good as alternatives; for example IE, Maps & Mail.

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Geeez, maybe I'm just lucky w/ the APP I have.  I could have changed the dated folder it gave to a personal choice.  It's likely we'll see more advancement & refinement in APPs @ final release of the OS & as time goes along.
    My point was/is that there is some 'smarts' & (built-in) abilities in Win8 & some APPs that are helpful, clever & do lessen the burden or fuss necessary, on the past.  W/out citing specific examples or dwelling on any of those, in principle, the point has validity.  Comes w/ things we'd used to have to add or do manually.

Admittedly, there are some APPs that are not as good as alternatives; for example IE, Maps & Mail.

Hopefully by next year when they release SP1 things will start to be useful. As it is, all the apps are equivalent to freeware toys...at best. And that's being generous.

You mention Maps. You can only map from a single point to a single point (ex. A-B). You can't add any other destinations even though 90% of the right hand of the screen is blank. Name me one other mapping tool released in the past 5 years with this limitation. MapQuest, Bing Maps, Google Maps, they all can do this. That's not "great" about Windows 8 at all.

Mail...well geez...you can't even have conversation views...so that tool is right out. Another not "great" for Windows 8.

IE on the desktop is okay...just like it was in Windows 7...but the Windows 8 Metro one is terrible on anything but a touch interface. Tabs are difficult to get to and the favorites don't sync with the desktop version. Nobody wants to right-click to access a bunch of open tabs constantly. That is not "great" in Windows 8.

In fact, I'm having difficultly thinking of ANYTHING good to say about the Windows 8 Metro apps. Skydrive is limited and basic compared to the desktop version. The video and music apps won't stop shoving ads in my face. The Store keeps trying to sell me XBox games instead of Windows 8 applications. The desktop taskbar and Metro taskbar seem to be completely separate. Installing Office apps like Outlook don't work with the Windows 8 indexing. You can't properly window  a metro app. Etc...

I'm failing to see what is so "great" about Windows 8. Maybe the improved file copy...yeah, that's a bit better. The included antivirus is nice, but downloading securirtyessentials is already free for Windows 7 and works just the same. Is there some great new feature I'm missing?

Nope, not getting the "great" = Windows 8 statement.

• Edited by SAS71 Friday, September 07, 2012 7:50 PM
    Friday, September 07, 2012 7:44 PM

• Oh well, @ least, this stimulated some conversation & that in itself is cool.

The OP was meant as a comment on something deeper & broader than anything to do w/ ANY individual APP.

Also, sounds like maybe I was misunderstood a wee bit.  Some things in some APPs are kinda neat.  Some, really, stink... this group, certainly, include Mail, IE & Maps.  There is no need to rely on APPs, anyway when there has always been, still, are, non- APP ways to do the same things & do them better. 

There's only 1 or 2 I, personally, bother to use w/ any regularity... The Weather APP is ok.  Most do seem a bit like unneeded or redundant or playthings and incomplete.

• Edited by Drew1903 Friday, September 07, 2012 10:12 PM
    Friday, September 07, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Drew, are you trying to say that with Windows 8 Microsoft has added more automation to the process of loading photos from a device?

What used to happen when you plugged your device into Windows 7?

For me, when I first plugged my digital camera into a USB port, Windows 7 installed whatever driver (via Plug 'n Play) it needed and then asked me how I wanted to handle the acquisition of the images from the camera.  It's been a while, but I think it did that in Vista too.  I chose to have Windows just upload the photos into a folder of my choosing, subfoldered by date the photos were taken.  Ever since then, I just plug my camera in and Windows sucks all the photos off it, clearing the flash card at the end.  Then I unplug it and put it in its case.  Couldn't be easier or more automated.

All of that is doable and easilly configurable in Windows 7 (as well as Windows 8, without apparent change):  If you want to change the configuration, just click Start, type autop into the search box, and choose Autoplay when it comes up (or just hit Enter).  There will of course be a few more steps to starting that with Windows 8.

From what I can see, Microsoft hasn't invented much of anything new in Windows 8.  They've (some would say over) simplified a lot of what was already in their code base, apparently in many cases by just deleting code, reducing user choices and configurability.  It seems likely that telemetry told them that only a few tens of millions of people ever used those configuration options anyway.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, October 05, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Sometimes citing examples to try & get across ... anyway, yes, that's it... it just seems to be somewhat 'streamlined', if you will; and I was thinking of things like reader & stuff being embedded (whether one uses other methods from outside the OS, not w/standing) & that it seems 'smart' or intuitive...  Will recognise things & 'have & offer' what goes along w/ whatever w/out have to load CDs or go running after as much... has more in it, by default/embedded... @ least, I think, it takes less 'doing'

Saturday, October 06, 2012 7:13 AM
  • It makes sense that things should become simpler to use, but not overly so (to where it just can't be configured to do what a user wants any longer).  That's probably what some of the responses above were about.

In this particular case it sounds as though the cell phone maker has written their software to integrate into the existing WIA infrastructure provided by Windows, along with whatever tweaks Windows 8 may provide.  I'm kind of surprised they wouldn't have done that for Windows 7 as well, since at the moment more users still have that OS.

I'm glad you're finding Windows 8 to your liking, Drew.  Personally I feel there are about 5% too many places in Windows 8 where, given what *I* do, Microsoft has actually made it feel less "streamlined" - even in light of the excellent 3rd party tools such as ClassicShell, ShellFolderFix, WizMouse, and others - which is why (like my one other time in history with Microsoft OSs: Vista) I'm not adopting Windows 8 on the day of release.  I finally did move up to Vista around the time of SP1, and ultimately got a great deal of value from it.  I'm not sure whether that will happen with Windows 8 but I remain hopeful.  With the entire world of 3rd party developers trying to make this turkey into something nice, there will certainly be advances.

Of course I'll continue to run Windows 8 in VMs for testing apps, and to maintain familiarity with it, but I just can't see a compelling reason to make it the basis of my business workstation operations just yet.  Windows 7 will remain my main desktop of choice there for now.  Of course, there will come a time when Windows 7 becomes less a proper choice and I'll seek out a better system.

-Noel

Saturday, October 06, 2012 3:57 PM
  • It makes sense that things should become simpler to use, but not overly so (to where it just can't be configured to do what a user wants any longer).  That's probably what some of the responses above were about.

In this particular case it sounds as though the cell phone maker has written their software to integrate into the existing WIA infrastructure provided by Windows, along with whatever tweaks Windows 8 may provide.  I'm kind of surprised they wouldn't have done that for Windows 7 as well, since at the moment more users still have that OS.

I'm glad you're finding Windows 8 to your liking, Drew.  Personally I feel there are about 5% too many places in Windows 8 where, given what *I* do, Microsoft has actually made it feel less "streamlined" - even in light of the excellent 3rd party tools such as ClassicShell, ShellFolderFix, WizMouse, and others - which is why (like my one other time in history with Microsoft OSs: Vista) I'm not adopting Windows 8 on the day of release.  I finally did move up to Vista around the time of SP1, and ultimately got a great deal of value from it.  I'm not sure whether that will happen with Windows 8 but I remain hopeful.  With the entire world of 3rd party developers trying to make this turkey into something nice, there will certainly be advances.

Of course I'll continue to run Windows 8 in VMs for testing apps, and to maintain familiarity with it, but I just can't see a compelling reason to make it the basis of my business workstation operations just yet.  Windows 7 will remain my main desktop of choice there for now.  Of course, there will come a time when Windows 7 becomes less a proper choice and I'll seek out a better system.

-Noel

Noel,  I fully agree.  The only reason for desktop/laptop users to consider "upgrading" to Win8 would be the presence of "compelling" WinRT/Metro apps.  In the absence of these, I just do not see any reason to transition.  In any case, it appears that a new Windows version (or just a service pack) would be released in a year or so (Project Blue).  Nobody knows the exact details of it.
    Saturday, October 06, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Certainly, there is nothing that suggests any obligation to go to Windows8 straight-away on Oct. 26th or thereabouts. W/out considering any particular APPs or UI as 'make or break' or earth-shattering 'new' & alluring 'stuff'... personally I & likely many others, can find it easier to use than, even, Windows7; and, I refer to the OS w/out adding 3rd party things, like CS.

I, still, feel that there is a lot of focus & rhetoric over (such) features to the point that some of the technologies & underlying technology in it that make it 'better' may sometime be getting missed or not being appreciated or realised as much as may be.

The discussions people put forth are interesting & thought provoking.

Saturday, October 06, 2012 6:16 PM
  • DUH, except for waste-space, rhetorical, questions from you... in forums & face to face conversations, of course.  Stop wasting space w/ your ridiculous comments.

Drew1903, except for waste-space, rhetorical, questions from you... in forums & face to face conversations, of course.  Stop wasting space w/ your ridiculous comments.

vjj

Sunday, October 07, 2012 8:12 AM
  • A wee anecdote (w/ a moral):

Now, to approach this in my own way & maybe, hopefully put a message across...

People often ask me, what's so special about Windows8.  OR, "I can't see any reason to want it over what I have" OR "that damned UI & those blasted APPs" OR why is it any better than 7 or my (please don't take it away from me) XP, etc, etc, etc.

I have oft said Win8 is cool because it does things (for you) all by itself & w/out adding software or bothering w/ install discs; there are many examples of this.  For the moment my story focuses on one in particular.  This is a commonplace thing that countless people want to do everyday.

I have a Nokia cel phone (brand not, really, critical, here).  It takes photos.  I want to take those from that device to my PC to save and or share.  As stated, something that applies to countless folks, these days.   In Windows7 I downloaded, installed (& Updated) Nokia Suite, the phone got connected, recognised & so on... a whole process to be able to grab photos from the device.

Now, we come to Windows8.  Did not have to lift a finger... 8 did everything, instantly, all by itself.  All I did was connected the phone via USB to the computer.  Windows8, Johnny-on-the-spot,  installed "the Device".    No (Nokia) phone program or software installed had been installed (nor ever needed to be).  Went to Windows Live Photos... phone showed but, it found no photos, hmmmm.  Windows Media Player sees the device but, that only send files TO the device.  However, what about one of those 'ridiculous' APPs?? There's a Windows8 Photos APP. Hmmmm... Connect the phone, Clk Photos APP & voila, immediately, there's all the photos in the phone on the screen.  Check ALL or the ones wanted, @ that moment, @ the bottom of the screen is a 'box' showing a dated folder to which, the selected shots will go and an Import button.  Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, it is DONE.

Point is to see & know that Win8 does have some cool things going for it. It does make doing things quick & EASY and all by itself, natively. This is not, was not the case w/ previous Windows Operating Systems. So, anyway, the above is just one of many things that come to mind when someone asks, "What's so great about Windows8?"

Drew1903, except for waste-space, rhetorical, questions from you... in forums & face to face conversations, of course.  Stop wasting space w/ your ridiculous comments.

vjj

Sunday, October 07, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Certainly, there is nothing that suggests any obligation to go to Windows8 straight-away on Oct. 26th or thereabouts. W/out considering any particular APPs or UI as 'make or break' or earth-shattering 'new' & alluring 'stuff'... personally I & likely many others, can find it easier to use than, even, Windows7; and, I refer to the OS w/out adding 3rd party things, like CS.

I, still, feel that there is a lot of focus & rhetoric over (such) features to the point that some of the technologies & underlying technology in it that make it 'better' may sometime be getting missed or not being appreciated or realised as much as may be.

The discussions people put forth are interesting & thought provoking.

There is little doubt that MS will attempt to create some "enthusiasm" for Win8.  With a rather rich marketing budget, one would expect to see "favorable" reviews.  Few publications or web sites would even dare be openly contrarian as they would undermine their advertising budget.  So, coverage will not be "even handed" as it never is for products of large corporations.  

However, the confusion with Windows 8, Windows RT (ARM-driven tablets), Windows 8 Pro (Intel-driven tablets), Windows Phone 8, Metro/WinRT - Non-Metro/Win32, will soon descend and it would not be pretty.  But bolting its portable OS to the desktop and having created "hybrid" tablets (that run both the portable OS and the desktop OS), Microsoft is going to confuse everybody and alienate the very group it is going after: the consumer.

What is the reason for attaching a desktop capability to the tablets?  By all admissions and reviews, the fonts, icons and menus in the 10.1-inch screens are just too small for any real use.  Does anybody expect to do real work on a 10.1'' inch screen with a flimsy keyboard?  I think not.  I know that some would say that tablets will soon arrive that can be docked and provide access to larger monitors.  I find the proposition laughable.  We need portability when we travel, and when we do this, there are no large monitors, keyboards or docks on the road.  On the road, one needs a very portable usable computer; this usually means a screen of at least 13.3''-inch or higher.   Even these screens are challenging.  Actually, I think that laptops like the Samsung Series 9 15''-inch, slightly over 3 lbs, would be the future, not these diminutive, under-powered tablets. 

Microsoft's play reeks of desperation; it is simply too complex, too unfocused, and too challenging for the average consumer, the intended target of its new strategy.  For the enterprise, there is only pain and no gain in this new plan.  Some of the refinements in the desktop are accompanied by decrease in usability, new interface elements more suited to tablets (edge of screen Charms) and missing features. I see no reason why at this time one would even attempt to introduce Win8 in corporate desktops and laptops.  And this is why Microsoft is heavily promoting BYOD to force the issue.  

Sunday, October 07, 2012 4:10 PM
  • It also, unfortunately, to me reeks of incompetence being covered up by marketing.

An executive will try to make what he can with his organization.  This is clearly not the same Microsoft that innovated major leaps in computing technology in the past.  For several versions now much of what's been touted as "innovative" has just been refinement of what's already been invented.  More recently it's all about just deleting what's already been invented.  It's right disappointing when you realize what you're looking at.

I've often wondered whether the brilliant people from Microsoft have all retired wealthy.  Why work on such difficult stuff when you have already made more money than you can ever spend?

-Noel

Sunday, October 07, 2012 5:59 PM
  • It also, unfortunately, to me reeks of incompetence being covered up by marketing.

An executive will try to make what he can with his organization.  This is clearly not the same Microsoft that innovated major leaps in computing technology in the past.  For several versions now much of what's been touted as "innovative" has just been refinement of what's already been invented.  More recently it's all about just deleting what's already been invented.  It's right disappointing when you realize what you're looking at.

I've often wondered whether the brilliant people from Microsoft have all retired wealthy.  Why work on such difficult stuff when you have already made more money than you can ever spend?

-Noel

I do not think that wealth has much to do with ambition.  And many in Microsoft were very ambitious in the things they wanted to achieve.  But a few months ago we talked about the spate of high position resignations (include that of the chief software architect) that affected Microsoft.  There is little doubt that these people were forced out (and some of their last communications indicate as much).  So, it is not as if the company went bananas all of the sudden.  There were two camps and one, obviously, lost.  Those who remained had to follow the new plan and even appear "enthusiastic" about it.

Corporations do go through this "silly" phases.  With HP in fast decline, the press is now analyzing all the stupid moves.  Of course, when these moves were made, the press may even have been laudatory.  The problem with HP is that they do not have on the helm a person who is a known innovator; they have Meg Whitman who's is really a sales person. 

When the market analysts turn against you, they turn against you en mass.  If Microsoft stumbles a bit with Win8, I would not be surprised to see the Wall Street vultures shorting the stock and forcing it down fast.  In that case, Ballmer will be looking for a parachute, any parachute.  it all depends how fast and how vicious the Street turn is going to be.  The funny part is I see the Street now turning negative on Apple.  Clouds are being formed in the sky. 

Monday, October 08, 2012 1:26 AM
  • IT metaphor or it's about to rain...

Monday, October 08, 2012 1:56 AM