none
How Do I Completely Disable Default Proxy for Desktop Apps and Metro Style Apps on Windows 8 Client?

Question

• Hello,

I want to completely make sure using proxy is disabled for one of the Windows 8 client PCs for both Desktop and Metro style apps. I opened gpedit.msc on this client, and discovered that the good old

Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Connection\Proxy Settings setting we've used to configure Internet Explorer proxy settings is now gone (or maybe that was years before and it is only me who didn't notice that).

The only proxy settings that I've found using Filter functionality in Group Policy Editor were:

I've enabled the Proxy definitions are authoritative policy to make sure my Metro UI apps always work through configured corporate proxies. That is, as far as I understood the setting, I disabled automatic proxy discovery Windows Network Isolation, right? I don't want any attempts to discover corporate proxy to be made.

Now I want to make sure, any connections go directly and proxy is NOT used for both Desktop and Metro style UI. Before Windows 8 there was a policy, called Proxy Settings, that allowed you to specify proxy server for different protocols in Internet Explorer. This policy is not available.

What setting should be used in Windows 8?

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Hi, Leo,

Thank you for your response!

I am looking forward to hearing from you. This situation is really confusing and may slowdown migration. Migration is a slow process, you can't migrate all PCs in a company at once, and that stops from updating servers with support patches for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. If such setting changes could have been made by users themselves, I would be easier to start migration process at least on the pilot stage.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

I think you can disable the GPO "Prevent changing proxy settings" under the following path:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\

After that, the client application cannot modify the proxy setting.

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Friday, September 21, 2012 9:11 AM