none
Is Disk Defragmenter disabled by default in Windows 7 Safe mode?

Question

• Hello,

Is Disk Defragmenter disabled by default in Windows 7 Safe mode?

Regards,

Robert339

• Edited by Robert339 Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:19 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• As far as I know, Disk Defragmenter is not disabled by default in safe mode

it is ;) Simply try it out. Starting the defrag service tells you that the service doesn't work in safe mode ;)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Marked as answer by Robert339 Monday, April 11, 2011 6:47 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:46 PM

All replies

• <Robert339> wrote in message news:71b1d715-4dff-4a73-a435-0969994d6bca@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello,

Is Disk Defragmenter disabled in Windows 7 Safe mode?

Regards,

Robert339

May be a silly question, but have you booted into safe mode and tried to run it? :-)

SC Tom

Friday, March 25, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hello SC Tom,

Thanks for your response.

Please note that I have now edited my original post to clarify it by inserting the words "by default" into both the title and message.

In Safe mode the following occurs:

when I right-click a drive and click on 'Properties', the drive Properties dialog box does not appear. Instead, it is the 'View basic information about your computer' screen that appears.

When I go Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and then click on Disk Defragmenter, nothing occurs and there is no error message.

When I open a Command Prompt and do for instance:

defrag C: /A

It reacts as if I had instead done:

defrag /?

I look forward to receiving an answer to my question.

Regards,

Robert 339

Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:17 AM
  • As far as I know, Disk Defragmenter is not disabled by default in safe mode -- in fact running it in safe mode is a way of bypassing Disk Defragmenter issues when it is not working under normal mode.

It seems like your built-in Disk Defragmenter is not present, since you can't even access it on the command line.....

Just curious -- can you access it in normal mode? Probably not, but it was not mentioned (it would be very strange if you could access it via normal mode but not in safe mode or on the command level).

Try going to the search box and input defrag.exe and then "Enter" to see if it comes up.

If not (or if something comes up but does not stay on), open a command prompt and type defrag.exe and "Enter" to see if Disk Defrag is actually present.

If Disk Defragmenter does come up and is present, try doing a System Restore to a point before you 1st noticed the issue and when complete, try to run it again in safe mode

If none of this works, you may need to re-install Disk Defrag (let me know if you need help on doing this) or an easier fix is to install a free trial of a good third party commercial defrag program. These will give you more functionality and are more efficient since many operate in the background using little system resources. One of these (Diskeeper 2011) even prevents fragmentation.

Best,

Bill R TechSpec

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:32 PM
  • As far as I know, Disk Defragmenter is not disabled by default in safe mode

it is ;) Simply try it out. Starting the defrag service tells you that the service doesn't work in safe mode ;)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Marked as answer by Robert339 Monday, April 11, 2011 6:47 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Hello Andre.Ziegler,

I've just tried that. You are quite right!

"Services

Windows could not start the Disk Defragmenter service on Local Computer.

Error 1084: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode."

Now I would be interested to know why Microsoft has prevented the use of Disk Defragmenter in Safe mode and I shall start a new thread to ask about this.

Regards,

Robert339

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Thanks andre,

Learn something new every day!

Monday, March 28, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Well, Robert339, Andre has answered your question. Why not mark it as the answer? That is how the forum works.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Please link to the thread if you do start it. This is a hard topic to search for. Everyone wants to tell you how to start Safe Mode, how to run the Defrag program, what wonderful 3rd party utilities there are to do defragging, how to defrag your Windows ME system, etc. Rare to find a thread that actually discusses the fact that defrag no longer works in safe mode on Windows 7.
    Software Developer
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Hello Morris Maynard,

Thanks for your reply.

URL for the new thread "Why is Disk Defragmenter disabled by default in Safe mode in Windows 7?:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/861c5c61-bca7-4266-9f82-28d88a846b62

Regards,

Robert339

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:54 PM