none
"...Required CD/DVD driver missing..." : we need to INJECT drivers into boot.wim, or install.wim

Question

• Here's my hardware/OS:

-Microsoft Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS(purchased separately (brand new & legit), so as to Install "fresh" on my:

-Asus P5B-Premium Vista Edition motherbard;  (no its not a joke, the board is actually called Vista Edition)

(with the onboard Intel ICH8R SATA controllers,.. and a Jmicron JMB363 PATA/SATA controller)

-Intel Quad-core CPU

-(2) Rators striped across the ICH8R Sata controllers

-(1) Pioneer "SATA" DVR-212D DVD/CD on the Jmb363 sata controller.

-as a test, I tried an unattended install with my 'ole WinXP Pro, and by using nLite, and/or editing the winnt.sif,... configuration text files its fairly easy to have an "Unattended" mastered DVD install of (32-bit)WinXP Pro..., and it works "flawlessly", and freakin fast with the hardware above, and without floppy-drives, usb-flash drivers,...

Note: the Jmicron-jmb363 SATA controller is very buggy, and "slow" in Vista-64bit, when you install a CD/DVD in the drive evrything freezes up, USB mouse,...for a few seconds then its ok?

However, in WinXP Pro it all works great!

I'm a newbie at Vista Ultimate 64, but Microsofts' WAIK, winPE, xml complicated text files seems even more complex, considering,

I'm NOT deploying workstations, I just want to inject the needed SATA controller drivers into the appropriate

Vista Ultimate 64-bit image file(s) to boot and install from the one DVD.

But, it still doesn't want to work (see below site exmples for details)

I have tried the below methods and/or site recommendation  to no avail, it seems overly-complex when trying to find

consistent infromation hunting in Microsoft sites ?, 

-the "error" is during the very early install of Vista 64-bit,  this early Pass1 is likely using the "boot.wim" image files

with its obvious limited driver support.

So how can I simply "inject" the drivers into boot.wim, and/or install.wim for this to wotk.

http://firegeier.unattended-sponsor.de/en/inject_drivers_into_image.html

(firegeier site is probably the best explained "Unattended" Vista install, and much better then Microsoft hoopla sites...)

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

(great for XP,... not much for Vista yet)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en

(If you can decipher Nostramadus' stanza's your ok here)

http://www.vlite.net/ 

(according to vLite they don't support that "early" text-based driver installation on Vista64-bit yet. -which led me to method "boot.wim" which Vista pre-loads.)

http://apcmag.com/5436/customise_windows_pe_2_0

(I'm trying this now although this its more for WDS deployments...?)

Any other ideas/suggestions would be appreciated? 

I realize supoort is very thin still (especially 64-bit wise) but its getting there, maybe its too new, as well as "me" errors but

I've tried all the methods above, as close as I could, RTFM,...?

Has anyone got this working, appreciate any info.

cheers.

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:56 PM

Answers

• that last link was the "charm"

So here's the "Ultimate" fix -pardon the pun Smile for that
    "...CD/DVD required device drivers are missing..." on my Vista 64 new installs.

-the web-links mentioned here provide a very good understanding, for me anyway, for
    dealing with any automated Vista installs.-and many thanks to those Authors.
     I went into some over-detail here, but hey, step-by-step feedback is good,
    especially when it includes corrections.

I think, during the very early install phases of a PASS1, the "boot.wim" a mini-Vista boot image
    is loaded with a bare skeloton of drivers into a virtual-memory-CD-Drive,
    (very similar to "md" Memory Devices used in unix).
     This however, is just enough to begin installing the big PASS2 "install.wim" Vista image
    onto your HD via your DVD-drive.
    -But, if for instance, the virtual mini-Vista image(boot.wim) can't load the
    "...required CD/DVD device drivers..."
    for example, the newer SATA DVD-Drive/controller(s), then it needs to find them via
    a loadable floppy, USB-flash drive,...which is where You come in -compliments of Microsoft.

So, to permanently fix this you basically "mount" your copied ...\sources\boot.wim,
    inject the required drivers (.inf files), unmount it, and then "re-image" your
    new (OEM) DVD master on a blank DVD.

-and here's the "General" HowTo driver-injection article I found (for Vista 32), and early Workstation deployments, works for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my hardware/OS:
    -Microsoft Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS(purchased separately (brand new & legit), so as to Install "fresh" on my:
    -Asus P5B-Premium Vista Edition motherbard;  (no its not a joke, the board is actually called Vista Edition)
    (with the onboard Intel ICH8R SATA controllers,.. and a Jmicron JMB363 PATA/SATA controller)
    -Intel Quad-core CPU
    -(2) Raptors striped across the ICH8R Sata controllers
    -(1) Pioneer "SATA" DVR-212D DVD/CD on the Jmb363 sata controller(AHCI mode in BIOS).
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Note:
    (my steps below are all for an "Ultimate Vista 64-bit" unattended driver injection,
    Vista 32 will be slightly different $PATHS, however the info-link mentioned in
    http://apcmag.com/5436/customise_windows_pe_2_0 is for Vista 32, and is a good quick-reference guide
    for modifying Vista "boot.wim" image files

Important! -> You will need your (OEM) DVD, and the Windows "WAIK" installed from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c7d4bc6d-15f3-4284-9123-679830d629f2&DisplayLang=en
    -its a 998 Meg (mini)Vista DVD image file download, which you'll burn on a blank DVD and install it.
    -Included with it though, is both the:
    "Windows System Image Manager"-WSIM app- (which is primarily used for modifying ...\sources\install.wim image files).
    and,
    "Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" -PETools app- (which is primarily used for modifying ...\sources\boot.wim image files).

In my case, I only needed the PETools part of WAIK.

Here's the steps I used:

1./ copy entire (OEM) DVD to D:\DVD, and make a couple sub-folders under D:\DVD
    named "Drivers" and "Mount".

2./ In my case, I copied all the required (Intel and Jmicron)SATA contoller driver files to D:\DVD\Drivers
     (*.inf/cat/sys files - but no exe's)

3./ Share D:\DVD with "full-control" permissions for yourself/Admin.

4./ if you have Vista 32 -skip to step 5./, otherwise, open an Administrator command shell
    from "Start" -> "run" type cmd but instead of hitting "Enter"-key, hit the "Ctrl-Shift-Enter"
    SETX Imgx "%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64" -m

5./ from your "Start" -> Programs" -> "Microsoft Windows AIK" -Run as Admin the
    "Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" shell.

6./
    (cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64)
    imagex /mountrw D:\DVD\sources\boot.wim 2 D:\DVD\Mount
    (cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools)
    peimg /inf=D:\DVD\Drivers\*.inf /image=D:\DVD\Mount
    imagex /unmount /commit D:\DVD\Mount
    oscdimg -n -m -b"%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\amd64\boot\etfsboot.com" D:\DVD D:\Vista64.iso

7./ thats it, burn that .iso onto a DVD blank with your favourite 3rd-party app.

note1: (the cd ... in brackets are there for brevity, although the PETools command shell actually
           adds those $PATHS to your environment automatically, depending if you've got x86(32-bit), or amd64(64-bit)
           -also since I just don't fully trust Microsoft automatically anymore, I prefer to "cd" around.
    note2: in Step 6./ the "-m" switch in the oscdimg command seems to be an undocumented switch, however
           it is required to create the DVD image size properly.

also see
    http://firegeier.unattended-sponsor.de/en/create_iso.html
    -very well explained site on unattended Vista installs in general.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 5:01 AM

All replies

• that last link was the "charm"

So here's the "Ultimate" fix -pardon the pun Smile for that
    "...CD/DVD required device drivers are missing..." on my Vista 64 new installs.

-the web-links mentioned here provide a very good understanding, for me anyway, for
    dealing with any automated Vista installs.-and many thanks to those Authors.
     I went into some over-detail here, but hey, step-by-step feedback is good,
    especially when it includes corrections.

I think, during the very early install phases of a PASS1, the "boot.wim" a mini-Vista boot image
    is loaded with a bare skeloton of drivers into a virtual-memory-CD-Drive,
    (very similar to "md" Memory Devices used in unix).
     This however, is just enough to begin installing the big PASS2 "install.wim" Vista image
    onto your HD via your DVD-drive.
    -But, if for instance, the virtual mini-Vista image(boot.wim) can't load the
    "...required CD/DVD device drivers..."
    for example, the newer SATA DVD-Drive/controller(s), then it needs to find them via
    a loadable floppy, USB-flash drive,...which is where You come in -compliments of Microsoft.

So, to permanently fix this you basically "mount" your copied ...\sources\boot.wim,
    inject the required drivers (.inf files), unmount it, and then "re-image" your
    new (OEM) DVD master on a blank DVD.

-and here's the "General" HowTo driver-injection article I found (for Vista 32), and early Workstation deployments, works for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my hardware/OS:
    -Asus P5B-Premium Vista Edition motherbard;  (no its not a joke, the board is actually called Vista Edition)
    -Intel Quad-core CPU
    -(2) Raptors striped across the ICH8R Sata controllers
    -(1) Pioneer "SATA" DVR-212D DVD/CD on the Jmb363 sata controller(AHCI mode in BIOS).
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Note:
    (my steps below are all for an "Ultimate Vista 64-bit" unattended driver injection,
    Vista 32 will be slightly different $PATHS, however the info-link mentioned in
    http://apcmag.com/5436/customise_windows_pe_2_0 is for Vista 32, and is a good quick-reference guide
    for modifying Vista "boot.wim" image files

Important! -> You will need your (OEM) DVD, and the Windows "WAIK" installed from:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c7d4bc6d-15f3-4284-9123-679830d629f2&DisplayLang=en
    -its a 998 Meg (mini)Vista DVD image file download, which you'll burn on a blank DVD and install it.
    -Included with it though, is both the:
    "Windows System Image Manager"-WSIM app- (which is primarily used for modifying ...\sources\install.wim image files).
    and,
    "Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" -PETools app- (which is primarily used for modifying ...\sources\boot.wim image files).

In my case, I only needed the PETools part of WAIK.

Here's the steps I used:

1./ copy entire (OEM) DVD to D:\DVD, and make a couple sub-folders under D:\DVD
    named "Drivers" and "Mount".

2./ In my case, I copied all the required (Intel and Jmicron)SATA contoller driver files to D:\DVD\Drivers
     (*.inf/cat/sys files - but no exe's)

3./ Share D:\DVD with "full-control" permissions for yourself/Admin.

4./ if you have Vista 32 -skip to step 5./, otherwise, open an Administrator command shell
    from "Start" -> "run" type cmd but instead of hitting "Enter"-key, hit the "Ctrl-Shift-Enter"
    SETX Imgx "%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64" -m

5./ from your "Start" -> Programs" -> "Microsoft Windows AIK" -Run as Admin the
    "Windows PE Tools Command Prompt" shell.

6./
    imagex /mountrw D:\DVD\sources\boot.wim 2 D:\DVD\Mount
    peimg /inf=D:\DVD\Drivers\*.inf /image=D:\DVD\Mount
    imagex /unmount /commit D:\DVD\Mount
    oscdimg -n -m -b"%Programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\amd64\boot\etfsboot.com" D:\DVD D:\Vista64.iso

7./ thats it, burn that .iso onto a DVD blank with your favourite 3rd-party app.

note1: (the cd ... in brackets are there for brevity, although the PETools command shell actually
           adds those $PATHS to your environment automatically, depending if you've got x86(32-bit), or amd64(64-bit)
           -also since I just don't fully trust Microsoft automatically anymore, I prefer to "cd" around.
    note2: in Step 6./ the "-m" switch in the oscdimg command seems to be an undocumented switch, however
           it is required to create the DVD image size properly.

also see
    http://firegeier.unattended-sponsor.de/en/create_iso.html
    -very well explained site on unattended Vista installs in general.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 5:01 AM
  • Hey guys!

I run Windows XP OS and I just recently purchased an external DVD/CD- RW device identified by Device Manager as 'TUAS 0 0 DV-W28ES 0 0 0 0 USB Device' and with a yellow exclamation at the side of this id.

I have tried to look for DVD driver update on Windows update site (which led me to this forum) but I cant find any.

I have also checked for the UPPER & LOWER FILTERS (or LIMITS) on regedit's ''HKEY_LOCAL....\CLASS\4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318'' but I cant find neither of them; let alone attempt deleting them!!!!

I cannot load any DVD or CD with this device, I feel like I have been ripped off my hard earned money, either by the microsoft or by the manufacturer whose web page ''www.cubig.com/tw'' would note even open!!!!!!

Help me out guys.

Rgds,

cryss.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:05 PM