none
Printui.dll with remote target

Question

• I am trying to add per-machine printers to remote Windows 7 x64 clients.

I am using rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ge /c\\COMPUTERNAME    I am running the command from an elevated command prompt. 

When COMPUTERNAME is a remote computer, I get the error "Unable to enumerate per machine printer connections.  The server print spooler service is not running.  Please restart the spooler on the server or restart the server machine"

Of course the print spooler service is is running on both the source and target computers. 

If I leave /c\\COMPUTERNAME off. and just do a /ge, it does show the permachine printers on the local computer.  If I specify COMPUTERNAME to be the local computer, it also works.  It only doesn;t work when specifying a target computer that is remote.

I understand this doesn;t work across OSes. (From XP -> Windows 7).  I am trying from one Windows 7 x64 machine to another.  I have tried multiple targets where I am certain the logged in user has admin rights on the target.  I have also verified this (and the network connection) by managing the target computer using the computer management console and connecting to the target.

Anyone have ideas?  is there some security setting in Windows 7 that needs to be lowered? 

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• I would catch the communication with network monitor. Perhaps the firewall settings play the role here.

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, February 27, 2012 3:10 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• I would catch the communication with network monitor. Perhaps the firewall settings play the role here.

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, February 27, 2012 3:10 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 9:45 PM
  •  

Hi,

How are you? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. 

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:22 AM