none
Can I in-place upgrade Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Pro using Full Version product?

Question

• I have a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, preserving my already installed applications, user accounts and data (i.e. I want upgrade, not do a clean install). I already have a (never-installed) full-version W7 Pro product so I don't want to use the "Anytime Upgrade" web upgrade. I'm a little confused by some online souces which indicate that the upgrade path from W7 Home Premium to W7 Pro isn't supported. Does anyone have experience with the upgrade I describe and is it supported?

Thanks,

EdR

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:42 PM

Answers

• I have a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, preserving my already installed applications, user accounts and data (i.e. I want upgrade, not do a clean install). I already have a (never-installed) full-version W7 Pro product

Anytime Upgrade Using An Already Purchased Retail Pro/Ultimate Key

In Windows 7 Home Premium, type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon.  From there, you can enter your retail (Full or Upgrade) Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate product key and perform a simple upgrade. All programs and files will stay on the computer, no disk is needed and it takes about 10 minutes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    • Marked as answer by edr Friday, April 15, 2011 4:09 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:08 AM

All replies

• After some more research, it looks like I can use Windows Anytime Upgrade for an in-place upgrade rather than clean install, but use my Full Version Pro product key, instead of purchasing a WAU key.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:03 PM
  • I have a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, preserving my already installed applications, user accounts and data (i.e. I want upgrade, not do a clean install). I already have a (never-installed) full-version W7 Pro product

Anytime Upgrade Using An Already Purchased Retail Pro/Ultimate Key

In Windows 7 Home Premium, type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon.  From there, you can enter your retail (Full or Upgrade) Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate product key and perform a simple upgrade. All programs and files will stay on the computer, no disk is needed and it takes about 10 minutes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    • Marked as answer by edr Friday, April 15, 2011 4:09 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:08 AM
  • Thank you TrekDozer.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:10 PM
  • This is very cool!. Kudoos to MS
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:37 PM