none
Desktop Window Manager Continuosly Crashes

Question

• Every time I log in, the desktop is in Aero for a few seconds before the screen flashes and Aero turns off. In event viewer, I find the same error each time: "The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b)"

What does this error mean? I've searched all over for several days and no one seems to have an answer or any idea why this error occurs.

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ with an NVIDIA 8600 GTS graphics card. I've installed all the latest drivers and the problem has persisted. My computer ran Aero fine in Vista until a few weeks ago. I thought the DWM crashes might stop after I upgraded to Windows 7 but I was wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:58 AM

Answers

• Solved. Sort of.

It seems I've had a stroke of luck. I read that others having the same issue connected it to not being able to get a system rating from the windows experience index.

I had the same problem and could not get a system rating. However, I just tried it again and it worked. The difference was that I started the windows experience rater during the short window of time after I log on that Aero and DWM are working and it completed successfully. Once it was done, Aero returned and DWM has yet to crash.

I think the experience index closed DWM because it thought my system could not handle it (it had no valid rating to go on).

Thank you guys for the help.

• Marked as answer by pophipi Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:43 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:43 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure if your problem is resolved but I found this page for Nvidia Vista Hotfixes.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:07 AM
  • This issue can be caused by software confliction. Please troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 20, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I tried doing a clean boot. The problem still persists, even though its a complete clean boot without any other background programs running. Using the Aero troubleshooter, DWM turns on momentarily, then crashes again. The event viewer message is still the same.

Any other possibilities?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:10 PM
  • According to NVIDIA, the Vista Hotfixes were part of SP1. My vista install had SP1 and the problem still occured. I'm not sure this applies for Windows 7, which is what I am currently running.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/LocalDumps.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the an application/service crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take at the dump, maybe I can see the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Solved. Sort of.

It seems I've had a stroke of luck. I read that others having the same issue connected it to not being able to get a system rating from the windows experience index.

I had the same problem and could not get a system rating. However, I just tried it again and it worked. The difference was that I started the windows experience rater during the short window of time after I log on that Aero and DWM are working and it completed successfully. Once it was done, Aero returned and DWM has yet to crash.

I think the experience index closed DWM because it thought my system could not handle it (it had no valid rating to go on).

Thank you guys for the help.

• Marked as answer by pophipi Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:43 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:43 AM