none
Windows 7 SP1 - black screen after install - graphics driver related

Question

• Hello,

On computers with SiS 671 aka SiS Mirage 3 graphics (newest version from WHQL - published 04/04/2009 according to windows update), installing SP1 fails with a black screen after reboot and can only be reverted by booting into safe mode as many times as required for the automatic 'rollback' of the SP1 to work and then booting to last known working configuration.

Replacing the driver with "Standard VGA" allows the SP1 to be installed successfully. I'm now testing whether the driver can be installed after SP1 installation.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:40 AM

Answers

• Thanks - it seems that the current version (R529) of the driver from SIS website works fine, but only if installed AFTER SP1, so problem solved. I thought I share this here in case anyone else experiences this.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:41 AM

All replies

• Try:  Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Support

Select:

I use it for my own personal use

Support Topic: Service Pack 1

Sub-Topic:  Installation Issue

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Thanks - it seems that the current version (R529) of the driver from SIS website works fine, but only if installed AFTER SP1, so problem solved. I thought I share this here in case anyone else experiences this.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Glad to hear the issue is solved and thanks for the sharing.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7:10 AM
  • I had what I think is the same problem with a different outcome.  After the first reboot after SP1 install on a Lenovo T410 the system booted up and went through the normal Configuring Updates message, then the screen goes black.  This happens on all SP1 installs, just normally it comes back after 10 or 20 seconds.  This laptop never came back.  I tried moving the mouse, pressing keys, CTRL+ALT+DELETE many times in a row, totally unresponsive.  I could run tasklist remotely and view what was running and all seemed okay, I tried remote shutdown commands with no success.  Had to hold the power button down to shut the system down.  Then I booted it up, it did the same thing.  Configuring updates, then black screen.  After 10 minutes or so, I figured I would have to try Safe Mode.  I pressed the power button and viola, the logon screen appeared.

Weird. 

FYI I didn't try pressing the power button at all when trying to get the screen to come up the first time.

Seems stupid, but you aught to give it a try if this happens to you

- Ryechz
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:33 PM
  • Hi,

Am VERY glad you shared because I have tried to install SP1 since it came out and have had no option but to restore each time.

I have to try it yet, but will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Hi Pawello,

I tried to take the SP1 upgrade a few months ago and got the black screen and had to roll back. Now I'm gunshy about taking the SP1 upgrade. I have the SiS Mirage 3 driver version 7.14.10.5290 dated from 12/2010. What exactly do I need to do to get 'Standard VGA' as a driver, take the SP1 upgrade, then get the SiS Mirage 3 driver back... I'm confused.

Regards,

Johnny

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:31 AM
  • I had the same issue on ASUS K50C notebook. jcstevens74 all you need to do is from add/remove programs to delete the SIS utilities and restart. After that you simply update to service pack 1 and after all the updates are okay you install SIS drivers again. :)
    • Proposed as answer by pc.rehab Friday, January 18, 2013 10:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by pc.rehab Friday, January 18, 2013 10:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by pc.rehab Friday, January 18, 2013 10:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Maybe install the driver via dism and winpe, or even install SP1 via dism and winpe?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:59 PM
  • I have had the experience of the black screen of death, BUT, i just discovered that the Vizio flat screen via hdmi was NOT triggering back up after a popup window, minimize screen, maximize screen, etc. I didn't realize until yesterday when I had some music playing and was able to FF, RW & Play via keyboard keys. Now I've tried all sorts of variations with OS and Software installs to make my system "stable" and I've read about Avast being a cause?. Here's what I'm thinking, there is a black screen sent to the monitor every time there is a window change. Somewhere in the SP1, Video Driver and other software the "CALL" to the monitor to refresh isn't being sent or is to weak. The fix? well, right now I'm changing hdmi inputs via tv remote and get the picture back up. There is something up with coding between one or all three, OS, video driver & software and that is not my department ;-)
    Friday, January 18, 2013 10:31 PM