none
Win7 installation freezes on "Expanding Windows files"

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 7, but system installation hangs on stage "Expanding files". Ok, i downloaded ISO four times, 64 and 32 bit. I have burned ISOs several times on DVDs with different programs, on different speed (last one on 2.5x). I have cleaned up whole my HDD and created a big partition for Windows. No result. It's hanging all the time on "Expanding files", sometimes on 0% or up to 20%. I have reset my BIOS to default. Still no. Then i took out one of two my RAM modules. No result. 

My specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86 GHz
    Foxconn P9657AA motherboard
    4 GB RAM (2x2)
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    Samsung HDD 320 GB

Please, give me an advice, why Windows 7 can't be installed on my PC?

UPDATE:
    Updating a BIOS solves the problem.
    • Edited by Krole Friday, July 31, 2009 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:31 PM

Answers

• Yay, it installed and working now like a charm!

I have updated a BIOS and It solves the problem.

• Marked as answer by Krole Friday, July 31, 2009 12:08 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 7, but system installation hangs on stage "Expanding files". Ok, i downloaded ISO four times, 64 and 32 bit. I have burned ISOs several times on DVDs with different programs, on different speed (last one on 2.5x). I have cleaned up whole my HDD and created a big partition for Windows. No result. It's hanging all the time on "Expanding files", sometimes on 0% or up to 20%. I have reset my BIOS to default. Still no. Then i took out one of two my RAM modules. No result. 

My specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86 GHz
    Foxconn P9657AA motherboard
    4 GB RAM (2x2)
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    Samsung HDD 320 GB

Please, give me an advice, why Windows 7 can't be installed on my PC?

I have this problem too and i instlled Windows 7 64bit before but now 32bit dos not install
    my pc is core 2 quad
    i hope i found the reply

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Drew1903,  what means again? I have downloaded this .iso a lot of times. And burned on 2.5x speed. Problem not in disk or ISO. They are fine.
    Computer freezes on expanding files and i can't do anything.. except Shut Down PC.
    • Edited by Krole Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:45 AM
  • THAT is the same same same thing that is happening me. I'm sick of trying that, but it always stop on Expanding Files (0%)...
    Other thing that is very very estrange is that in Copying Files it only took less than one second...
    So I don't know what to do... :S
    My PC:
    Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.8 GHz
    Memory 4 Gb (2x2Gb)
    HD 1 Tb sata with 5 partitions:
    1-> NTFS 200 Gb Windows XP
    2-> NTFS 300 Gb Files
    3-> Ext3 100 Gb Linux
    4-> swap 14 Gb
    5-> NTFS 20 Gb (here is where I want to install my W7)

Same question :)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:31 AM
  • omg, nice support.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Hi Krole,

What burn program have you been using? We usually recommend ImgBurn, which is a free download and very easy to use. As has been said before, be sure to use a slow burn speed and verify both the download and the burn.

Please remember, this is not "official" Microsoft support. We are mostly just users (some much better than others) trying to help each other.
    Regards from the Valley of the Sun.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I had the same problem. Another board OP was sayin that he found it was a memory problem. Sure enough I changed memory to another brand and reduced the memory to one stick of 1 GB and the OS sucessfully loaded. I than put the old memory back and had no problems running the OS. Another OP just swapped stick locations on the board and resolved the problem. ( Memory timing issues? The OS loader appears to like only one stick of memory on hyper threaded processors???) I tried it on several P4 processors with no problems.

Paul
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Thanks at least for some replays!

piepaw , i used UltraISO and Alcohol 120%
    Disk was burned on 4x and 2x speed.

sjprg , please read my first post, i have done some manipulation with my RAM...
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Maybe you were a little too drunk? Just kidding.
    Please, try ImgBurn and see if that works better for you.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:05 PM
    Ok, i will try ;)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:20 PM

thank you for help that is first
    by the way i tried this program but no way the same wrong my pc shut down in Expanding files or freezes

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I have heard reports of hanging during file expantion and that after being extreamly patient it will eventualy expand as long as you don't stare at the progress bar. Additionally check the surface of the installation disk to make certain it is free from dirt particles. 
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:25 AM
  • So, today i had try to install Windows 7 with new RAM and with new CD.

somehow, after a lot of attemts it have installed. BUT. After only two minutes it freezed on the desktop. I restarted a computer and  problem has not disappeared, it is allways hangs.
    WTF... is my computer not compatible with Seven?I think not... (Specs in first post)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:05 PM

• Marked as answer by Krole Friday, July 31, 2009 12:08 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:04 PM

i did it too
    i did as you said and now it is working so i hope any one has the same wrong to update the bios too
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Ok, I'll try but I'm not sure about how to do it :S
    Friday, July 31, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hi there,

My friend has the exact same motherboard as yours.. and has almost the same problem with Windows 7 installation...
    Could you please explain how you fixed this? as in how did you update the bios drivers?

Thanks,
    Prav.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hello Prav,
    I fixed the problem by burning the DVD iso again.
    This was bad download thought.

Good Luck.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:19 PM
  • well, my friend has the Original Win 7 disc which was store-bought...
    besides he has the exact same configuration as the original posted of this thread and he has pretty much the same configuration.
    microsoft's website lists Foxconn P9657aa-8EKRS2H as compatible to Win 7, but my friend has Foxconn P9657aa-8SK2H, which is not listed... so im guessing that the BIOS update will fix it up for him...
    so, can anyone suggest a way to do the BIOS update for him? he does not have a floppy drive.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Most pl don't have floppies anymore.  Should be able to update/flash the BIOS w/out 1.
    Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:33 PM
  • how did you update the BIOS? can it be done without a floppy drive?
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Hey guys! 

Excellent back and forth here. It has all really helped me a lot. I was using an Academic Version of Windows 7 Pro to install and kept getting the same weird hang. Happened 4 or 5 times (even after letting the install go for 10 hours because it is SLOW). Frustrated, I went into my BIOS setting and disabled EVERYTHING.

This wasn't the fix however! I only use USB keyboards anymore and I inadvertently disabled OnBoard USB support. Great, now I have no keyboard/mouse. So I did a CMOS reset from the jumpers on the motherboard...TA DA. Windows 7 is now installing like a champ. No hang, no error, just awesome! 

Specs to follow

MB: ECS P4M800Pro-V2.0

Processor: Intel P4 Duo 2.16 GHz? <- Can't remember

RAM: 2GB Patriot DIMM

I hope this helps somebody!

Monday, October 04, 2010 5:55 PM