none
Windows 7 missing Stereo Mix

Question

• I just bought an HP G60-519WM Notebook PC running windows 7 64-bit and I noticed that the stereo mix option it missing and I have searched for a couple hours now and cant find anything really. Is there any way that i can get stereo mix on my computer?
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

First, please update the sound card driver from here.

If the option is still not there, please refer to the following step:

1. Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. On Recording tab, right-click on the blank area

3. Check “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices” and the Stereo Mix should show up.

If it is disabled, right click on it and choose Enable.

For more troubleshooting information, you can refer to http://www.niharsworld.com/2008/05/28/no-stereo-mix-recording-option-here-are-few-solutions

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Thank you sir, ive been trying to find this for a couple of hours before i decided to turn to the net, 1st result i found brought me here and to your answer... wish i just swallowed my pride and did it 1hrs ago but hey lol... anyway thanks again.. very helpful
    Friday, April 09, 2010 3:05 AM
  •  

stereomix  not only to record..  when i play any songs in computer.. i can allow others on net to listen same..

when i am in a public voice chat room. if i want to sing with karaoke .. or play a song for users in chat room.. need stereo mix..

it was easy in windows XP..  wave out / stere mix  was able to check in recording control..

i am using windows  7..  afer enabling the show disconnected device..all. still i cant see .. stereomic .. High definition audio device is my sound card..  fujitsu v1020 lifebook. laptop

Monday, April 12, 2010 10:53 AM
  • On the recording tab it shows only the Microphone. When clicking on the blank area it displays "Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices" unfortunately nothing shows up.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Wow this helped me tons. I've been using WeGame to record World Of Warcraft and the sound never recorded cause of this not being avalible.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:32 PM
  • I did what you said but no stereo mix popped up i think i have a 32-bit one for my home laptop on windows 7 i checked shwo disabled and disconnected nothing showed up. and im not sure but i think i got the lattest sound card driver. not really sure.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:46 AM
  • The disabled mixer is a tribute to RIAA anti-piracy mania, and the spineless IT companies who bow to them.

To record from line in, I suggest http://www.abyssmedia.com/isound7/

Works beautifully.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I followed the instructions listed here, but I still have no option to enable the stereo mix
    Friday, December 03, 2010 6:53 PM
  • @jbhilt

I have the same problem after a fresh installation of Windows 7. NOTE: This is a driver and/or hardware limitation rather than a Windows 7 limitation.

After doing some research, I discovered that my particular device has this option disabled at the hardware level. This is why it was probably not available when you attempted the software solution mentioned above.

It is not recommended to install a 3rd party driver since it may not be Windows 7 ready or it may contain unwanted or unecessary gimmicks. There is a hardware solution instead.

You need to purchase a stereo splitter (male to two female) and then one male to male stereo cable. Plug the splitter into your stereo output then that male-to-male cable from the splitter to the microphone input thus causing a loop-back.

NOTE: You may need to plug in a headset to that splitter in order to hear your audio because the hardware usually disables the speakers when the jack is in use.

Monday, December 06, 2010 2:10 AM
  • It worked for me, thanks!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:00 PM
  • In System Tray, click the speaker
    - Click Mixer
    - Click icon for Speakers
    - In Speaker Properties>Levels Tab
    - Un-mute Input Monitor
    • Proposed as answer by Windsor ON Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:11 AM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Install the audio drivers from the motherboard CD that is supplied with the new computer. 1.) Install audio drivers from motherboard CD. run the autorun or: start menu >(right click)computer > properties > device manager > sound, video and game controllers > right click)audio device, update driver software. 2.) Audio >))) icon on the taskbar.(extreme right bottom, near the digital clock.) Here, right click and choose recording devices, right click the blank area in the middle, show disabled devices and show disconnected devices.> Stereo mix (right click), enable. That should solve the problem.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Dear  ALL,
    This Stero MIX problem has started with Vista and now windows 7.. And that this has nothing to do with SOUND DRIVERS whatsoever...

The reason Stero Mix disappears in Vista and Windows 7 has NOTHING to do with sound drivers  at all.

Because this problem only happens to   CERTAIN BRAND of LAPTOPS
    This   is because these BRANDS such as DELL, VAIO, ACER, etc.have signed an AGREEMENT with.The Music Recording Industry to TAKE STREO MIX off windows Vista and  7..  (HP should be OK)

That 's why you would find that other PC laptops BRANDS such as Fujitsu, Toshiba, ASUS etc.... Stereo MIX is still functioning well  in  Vista and Windows 7..

I worked as PC technician since 1994 .. and this is the first problem that NO ONE want to answer, even though THEY KNEW..
    many customers have sent their written complaints to Microsoft, DELL, VAIO, ACER (now Gateway)  (Me too) but they would try their best to be EVASIVE...but never explain even though THEY knew it.

If people want stereo Mix back...we must start CLASS ACTION.. by STOP BUYING these BRANDS (Vaio, Acer, Dell etc)  and tell THEM OUT LOUD why we boycott them....

That's all.
    In the mean time, if those people with DELL, ACER, VAIO want to use STERO MIX function , You can install  VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software.. http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
    Or come back to Windows XP.. with XP Stereo MIX would work well in every PC

bye all
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Dear  ALL,
    This Stero MIX problem has started with Vista and now windows 7.. And that this has nothing to do with SOUND DRIVERS whatsoever...

The reason Stero Mix disappears in Vista and Windows 7 has NOTHING to do with sound drivers  at all.

This   is because these BRANDS such as DELL, VAIO, ACER, etc.have signed an AGREEMENT with.The Music Recording Industry to TAKE STREO MIX off windows Vista and  7..  (HP should be OK)

That 's why you would find that other PC laptops BRANDS such as Fujitsu, Toshiba, ASUS etc.... Stereo MIX is still functioning well  in  Vista and Windows 7..

I worked as PC technician since 1994 .. and this is the first problem that NO ONE want to answer, even though THEY KNEW..
    many customers have sent their written complaints to Microsoft, DELL, VAIO, ACER (now Gateway)  (Me too) but they would try their best to be EVASIVE...but never explain even though THEY knew it.

If people want stereo Mix back...we must start CLASS ACTION.. by STOP BUYING these BRANDS (Vaio, Acer, Dell etc)  and tell THEM OUT LOUD why we boycott them....

That's all.
    In the mean time, if those people with DELL, ACER, VAIO want to use STERO MIX function , You can install  VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software.. http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

bye all

Ok Mr. "I've been a computer technician since 1994"... you are paranoid and talking of conspiracy. I built my own PC with parts from Newegg including Windows7 Professional OEM. Why don't I have a "Stereo Mixer" with my installation. Nothing I have in my system comes from Dell, Acer, VAIO or any other Branded company. Class Action Are you kidding me? It's the software people's right to write the software how they want. If you want to record, purchase some recording software and grow up.

Further, I would love some feedback on if ANYONE with Windows 7 (Not Vista) has been able to get the Stereo Mixer to show its face without 3rd party software/drivers. I am starting to find/believe that Microsoft is truly behind this.

Edit: (Adding info)
    ok, so, to update on this posting. It's not a Windows7 issue. At least, not directly. I just installed the drivers off my Motherboard CD and BAAMMM Stereo Mixer appeared. Let's get started on that Class Action (note sarcasm). After 11 years as an IT Professional I'm better with simple audio then Choung above with his 17 years! :-)... Moving on.

So, what do we have?
    My advise, Update your drivers. This may be harder for some than others. Device Manager will NOT always tell you what kind of sound chip you have. It will only tell you info based on the drivers you already have installed to help control the hardware. Use the websites for your PC manufacture to do some research on what mother board you have. You can usually lookup that motherboard and get the audio drivers supported by it from the PC manufacture or the Motherboard manufacture support site.

Note: while writing this, I just fixed the issue on my wife's Dell Laptop. So it's not a laptop issue either.  Her laptop is only 1 month old.

I hope this helps peop. I'm sorry to be so harsh on Choung but really, get your facts before posting blind info.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 3:06 PM
    • Edited by niharsworld Monday, May 23, 2011 6:21 PM Adding one more link
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:26 AM
  • I have the same problem now on my desktop computer i instalet native treaktor instruments 2 on my computer unfortendly the sond on a international mixer didn work at all so i had to use digital audio (s/pdif) then the sound worked but i dont now why there is no stereo mix any more i tryed too uninstal the traktor 2 i didnt had  that problems with previus version of traktor 1.2.7 ...

i found out that the realtek driver wass somehow uninstaled so but tryed to reinstal it didn not work so i will just reinstal win 7 =D

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:21 PM
  • i have asus w7j. my stereo mic doesn't show. i'm already check “Show Disabled Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices” and the Stereo Mix doesn't show up. please help me
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:40 AM
  • It works, thanks so much. My Stereo Mix is disable. ^^

Do not need to download anything else.

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Dear  ALL,

That's all.

bye all

I don't think it has anything to do with brands. When I had Windows XP in my VAIO, the stereo mix worked perfectly. It's when I changed it to Windows 7 that I couldn't use that function anymore.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I have 2 windows 7 computers and my stereo mix only works on one computer.I have Dell Inspiron 510 and my stereo mix works fine but my Dell Inspiron 410 does not work at all.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:02 PM
  • You are harsh and rude toward Choung indeed.  If someone has enough evidence to proceed a class action, let him proceed;  and we (the victim) can support it.  But calling someone who is making a suggestion of proceeding with an action, "grow up" is inconsiderate; and the term may even more suitable toward the one who used it.  Rather than insult someone's suggestion, you should provide your expertise to the question.  If you do that we have a variety of ways to work with.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Dear  ALL,

That's all.

bye all

I don't think it has anything to do with brands. When I had Windows XP in my VAIO, the stereo mix worked perfectly. It's when I changed it to Windows 7 that I couldn't use that function anymore.

If you actually read the entire post, you would see how stupid your post sounds...

The solution to the missing stereo mix in Win 7 is to install Realtek drivers. However I can't install them to my DELL laptop and DELL drivers don't do me much good either. What I found working for me is Virtual Audio Cable. Basically what the "paranoid user" posted earlier on but you considered him wrong.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:11 AM
  • In System Tray, click the speaker
    - Click Mixer
    - Click icon for Speakers
    - In Speaker Properties>Levels Tab
    - Un-mute Input Monitor

You, are amazing. Thank you so much, why would they mute Line In by default?

This worked on all my devices, from Realtek to Creative. You are a life saver, I can now mix audio and stream at my will. Thank you again!

Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:55 PM
  • add asus to the list of no mixers
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:56 AM
  • The cause of this for me involved an NVIDIA video card and the following is how I fixed it.

First thing to do is download the audio drivers for your audio chip/card from your MB or soundcard manufacturer (preferably a Realtek driver package) You will then need to uninstall the NVIDIA audio drivers from your Programs and Features. Next, you need to go into Computer Management and go to Device Manager and uninstall all audio devices found under  Sound, video and game controllers; immediately followed by installing the new driver package and a reboot.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:26 AM
  • My only solution was use the "Virtual audio cable" http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/191766433/virtual+audio+cable?tab=summary  My card dont suport Stereo mix, but this program resolv my all problems. Good Look
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:19 AM
  • try virtual audio streaming to fix. a similar soft with vac, but more easy.

http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/

Monday, March 26, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Just to add some more data, I have two HP machines - HPD230 and NX6325 Laptop which show the stereo bus option, and a Dell Dimension 3100 which refuses to show the stereo bus. All these machines worked properly with XP before Windows 7 was installed.
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:40 PM
  • As a post script I found these drivers for the Dell machineand they have fixed the probem

http://aic.lgservice.com/SWLDATA/KRSWL000/KRSWL000013/KRSWL000013825-b1-a1.zip

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:24 PM
  • FWIW...

Tested 4 machines, all using Realtek HD chip/drivers, checked to make sure all disabled and disconnected devices shown:

Machine 1 (General Dynamics laptop ALC262 codec, 6.0.1.5874 driver) Win7-32: Stereo Mixer present

Machine 2 (General Dynamics laptop ALC272 codec, 6.0.1.6215 driver) Win7-32: Stereo Mixer present

Machine 3 (HP desktop ALC888S codec, 6.0.1.6196 driver) Win7-64: Stereo Mixer present

Machine 4 (Lenovo laptop ALC269 codec, 6.0.1.6662 driver) Win7-64: Stereo Mixer not present

Monday, July 09, 2012 8:07 PM
  • http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Codec-Windows-Vista-Windows-7-32-bit/3000-2120_4-10788600.html

I'm windows 7 and on a toshiba satellite downloading this codec suddenly brought stereo mix back into my recording toolbar :)
    Hope you guys have as good luck with it as I did :)
    Also thanks for all your help!

Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:49 PM
  • It worked for me 2 , thanks! + vote

i would love the change the world but they wont give me the source code

• Edited by Slye_ Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:27 PM
  • I actually do not have a question, but rather a solution that worked for me.

Until very recently I was still using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. The stereo mix and everything else was working great. I upgraded to windows 7 Pro 64bit and found that windows has most of the drivers for my Asus motherboard. Of course the stereo mix was missing. I had gone to Asus' website an found the drivers they said I would need for windows 7. One of them was and audio driver. I tried to use the setup installer that was in the file but it failed numerous times. Finally I looked in the device manager and saw two sound devices one was an AMD hd audio device and the other said Microsoft hd audio. So I went into the properties for the Microsoft one and clicked on upgrade driver. I then pointed it to find the audio driver file I had downloaded from Asus and Wala! The driver installed and the stereo mix was back. 

I hope this can help someone.

wcavedog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hello i have the solution fort every one with the stereo mix problem

http://stereomixplus.com/

it have helpt me to :)

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 

Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:17 AM

• This is the kind of computer that I have. I've been on the HP website and have been trying to download  the CORRECT Realtek audio driver (which seems to be sp44555.exe) but it says that the product cannot be unpacked because the file is corrupt. I'm trying to get stereo mix so that I can screen cap a Pokemon gameplay. (I am using Visualstudio PRO 5 and I get an error saying there is no system audio, so it comes back to this.) Also, I've clicked on the "show disabled devices" but I don't see anything, meaning it ( stereo mix) must not be installed? I would like to get this problem fixed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance. :)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:35 PM
  • I am using an HP 8440p laptop and I have the same issues. I have played with all this for at least 15 years and I couldn't fix this. This works great on my old PCs but I just can't find a way to make it work on my laptop. I have tried one virtual sound card tool as well (virtual cable) and that didn't help either. Stereo mix feature was there since there since the days of full duplex sound cards and it seems like it has disappeared from modern laptops. In these times, just anything is possible for people with large chunks of money. I think that you should pay a little more respect to someones opinion.
    Friday, January 25, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Why not have a try the Virtual Audio Streaming? Here is a better method, you only need to download a software called Virtual Audio Streaming - an audio recorder and install it, you will enable stereo mix for windows 7. For more details, you can visit following website:

http://www.stereomixplus.com
    • Edited by jude2231 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:50 AM have extra font
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Dear  ALL,

That's all.

bye all

Ok Mr. "I've been a computer technician since 1994"... you are paranoid and talking of conspiracy. I built my own PC with parts from Newegg including Windows7 Professional OEM. Why don't I have a "Stereo Mixer" with my installation. Nothing I have in my system comes from Dell, Acer, VAIO or any other Branded company. Class Action Are you kidding me? It's the software people's right to write the software how they want. If you want to record, purchase some recording software and grow up.

Further, I would love some feedback on if ANYONE with Windows 7 (Not Vista) has been able to get the Stereo Mixer to show its face without 3rd party software/drivers. I am starting to find/believe that Microsoft is truly behind this.

Edit: (Adding info)
    ok, so, to update on this posting. It's not a Windows7 issue. At least, not directly. I just installed the drivers off my Motherboard CD and BAAMMM Stereo Mixer appeared. Let's get started on that Class Action (note sarcasm). After 11 years as an IT Professional I'm better with simple audio then Choung above with his 17 years! :-)... Moving on.

So, what do we have?
    My advise, Update your drivers. This may be harder for some than others. Device Manager will NOT always tell you what kind of sound chip you have. It will only tell you info based on the drivers you already have installed to help control the hardware. Use the websites for your PC manufacture to do some research on what mother board you have. You can usually lookup that motherboard and get the audio drivers supported by it from the PC manufacture or the Motherboard manufacture support site.

Note: while writing this, I just fixed the issue on my wife's Dell Laptop. So it's not a laptop issue either.  Her laptop is only 1 month old.

I hope this helps peop. I'm sorry to be so harsh on Choung but really, get your facts before posting blind info.

amazing answer, that dude is seriously incorrect, i'll try updating my driver when i get home, thanks man. I have also been an IT professional for around 11 years, and i guess it's our generation that knows best! lol.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:42 PM
  • Dear  ALL,

That's all.

bye all

Right on the money.  Obviously it works as countless other programs that "fix" the problem (out of necessity prove, such as Skype recorder, etc... but I notice MS is trying to make that difficult as well... saying my Skype recorder "shouldn't work" with the new "update"  it's seems every new "update" MS does takes more control to set options it doesn't want the user to have by "removing" the functionality, I agree this is purely removing software...  if they wanted they could create a download upgrade in a heartbeat...
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:04 AM