none
Windows Explorer has Stopped Working

Question

• I'm running on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit edition.

Currently i am facing this problem with my computer. Whenever i double-click 'Computer' on the desktop to open it, the window will pop up like it usually should. However, it will just remain blank except for the address bar. When i try to click the window again, then a window will pop up saying "Windows Explorer has stopped working". So the only way i can access to my drives are to type in the location of the drives (e.g. c:\ or d:\) physically. On top of that, if i try to right-click on any of the icons on my desktop, the loading animation next to the cursor will appear, but the toolbox that should appear after the right-click, never did, and when i do another left-click again, the window saying "windows Explorer has stopped working" will pop up again. Its very frustrating!

In addition, Internet Explorer has stopped working for me as well. When i double-click the IE icon, the same thing will happen: the whole window will remain blank except for the address bar. But for this case, in can't even type anything into the address bar, 'cause the IE just hang. I tried to install Mozilla Firefox as another alternative to IE. and that has a problem too. when i try to run the Firefox, the loading animation will appear next to the cursor, and then disappear without any windows popping up. Then i do the CTRL+SHIFT+DEL to run the task manager. Under the applications tab, no Firefox is running, but under the processes tab, there is a firefox.exe running. this is so exasperating. So now i have to resort to using Google Chrome as my web browser, and that's the only one that works now.

All these issues only occur after i installed microsoft office 2007, together with microsoft outlook 2007, run the windows update and installed the k-lite codec pack. Is it due to any of the compatibility issues?

Can someone help me please? Thanks alot!

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the Windows Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here. I take a look at the dump with the Debugger, maybe I can see which Shell extension is the cause.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:34 AM
  • hi andre,

thanks for the promt reply.. i do not have a sky drive.. how do i get 1? =X

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:10 PM
  • oh, i realized how to get a skydrive.. the next issue is, i can't seem to locate the C:\Localdumps

sorry about that, because im not really that tech-savvy...

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi Coshios,

Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

Use ShellExView to disable third party extension of Windows Explorer

========

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3. Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4. Click Next and click Finnish.

5. Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue still exists, create a new user account to check the result. If the issue does not occur in the new user account, you can move on to try the suggestions in this article: Fix a corrupted user profile

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:28 AM
  • oh, i realized how to get a skydrive.. the next issue is, i can't seem to locate the C:\Localdumps

Is the explorer crashed again? Is the Windows Error Reporting service running?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:36 AM
  • If having trouble finding the minidumps, could you run Autoruns for us so that we can see a snapshot of what's in your startup?  You can find it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Once you've opened it up, click File, then Save.  Then post your save file onto SkyDrive like you were going to do your minidump.  We should be able to see what's in Explorer, and what services you have running.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:57 AM
  • i would make sure your antivirus is up to date and that you have run spyware/malware routines.
    www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:00 AM
  • Thank you so very much Linda Yan! I have tried numerous scans and updates trying to solve my problem and then I was lucky enough to find your solution. Everytime I would try to access my external hard drive I would get the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" message and now after following your instructions the problem is gone. Thanks again.
    • Edited by Pondler Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Suggestion 1:

=====================================

1.       Open Windows Explorer, click Organize.

2.       Click Layer Out and uncheck the Preview pane.

3.       If the issue disappear please try to rebuilt icon cache and check media codec, you can run following command in Command Prompt with administrator permission to rebuilt icon cache.

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

del IconCache.db /a

Suggestion 2:

=====================================

If the issues still persists after following suggestions above, I suggest that you may create a dump file for Explorer.exe then we can analyze the file and find the root cause:

To use Windows Task Manager to create a user-mode process dump file in Windows 7, follow these steps:

1.       Start Task Manager. To do this, use one of the following methods:

·         Right-click an empty area of the task bar, and then click Start Task Manager.

·         Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

2.       Click the Processes tab.

3.       Right-click the name of the process that you want, and then click Create Dump File.

Collapse this imageExpand this image

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

A dump file for the process is created in the following folder:

Drive:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp

4.       When you receive a message that states that the dump file was successfully created, click OK.

Then try to repro the problem, compress the dump file, upload it via SkyDrive and post a link here.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:06 PM