I have seen there are many users complaining about folder redirection and their scenarios are more complex than mine, hence me posting specifically. I have a server 2003 environment, 90% XP clients and starting to migrate to win 7 clients. I have read that my XP GPO's are not all effective on Win 7 clients and have found this out the painful way, I have created a Win 7 machine and installed RSAT so that I can see the Win7 objects and have created the most basis folder redirection policy and it just doesn't work. I need to have the "documents" redirecting to the users home share on the server, my users are unable to "save as" and select their mapped home directories and just hit save to "documents". This however is on the local machine and we've nearly come unstuck with this. Ok my GPO states
However the properties of documents just point to c:\users\username, the policy is applying as I can see through gpresult /r that it has successfully applied, the user has full access to their directory and this policy at present is scoped only for my test user and try as I might I cannot get this "documents" to redirect. At the moment I'm hoping there is a fix otherwise the documents from the start button is going to have to disappear, I cannot risk my users saving locally.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Many apologies just noticed that screen dump does not show in the posting, my GPO is set as follows; Basic (redirect everyones folder to the same location), path \\servername\user area\%username%\mydocs, grants enabled, move contents to new location enabled, disabled to apply policy to older o/s (I have an XP policy that's working perfectly), and Policy removal behaviour is leave contents.
Hopefully there is a straight forward answer to this.
Thanking you in advance
Please check if the following posts are helpful.
How to Configure Folder Redirection
TechNet Community Support
Ok I've worked through all these notes and none of them help with a user that already has a created home directory, the Documents will not redirect. i tried created a new user from scratch and the folder redirection works and created a home directory on the network share. So apart from the option of changing each and every user home directory so that a new one creates and redirects what can be done, any ideas? Thanking you in advance.
Also sorry should have tested, now my new user has a home directory and initially redirected, once I logged out and logged back in again the redirection has stopped working because my user now has a home directory so has reverted back to c:\users. Grrrrrrr.
This is driving me crazy, I have to sort this out, I have tried so many different fixes and my installation is hardly complex. I have roaming profiles, a windows 2003 domain, xp clients and win 7 clients, GPO has been created on the windows 7 machines with RSAT so all my objects are there, my GPO's are applying, I have tried unselecting the give users full access and not apply to non win 7 machines (as Microsoft advise), and reselecting, I have tried deleting the local profiles, the ONLY time I have successfully managed to get documents to see the network path was when I renamed the original roaming profile directory and the login on the win 7 client then created the profile directory on the network and redirected, after logging out and logging back in back to square one with the documents pointing locally. This is massively buggy, please anyone got a explanation? I have multiple users on win 7 machines all now saving to the local drives, my backup solution will not allow me to select the local drives on all my clients, XP redirection works perfectly and short of back loading XP I could do with someone coming up with a work round for this bug. Rant over, thanking ANYONE in advance of a sensible approach to this. Many thanks JO.
An update after further testing and Microsoft don't seem to be taking this seriously, the NVIDIA Geforce properties after being disabled now allow folder redirection to happen every other time, so my test user logs in and gets roaming profile error everytime however every other time the "documents" is now pathing to the user's home directory which is on a network share. Quite why this happens every other time is still a puzzle but hopefully by posting my findings this will help others.