none
Latest windows 8 update has crashed computer

Question

• Hi all, I have a Sony laptop with windows 8 which has just forced me to restart because of an update. When it started back up I noticed that my Dropbox and other notifications were not starting up. When I went to power setting it said "update and restart" so I assumed it needed to apply further updates. Clicking this or "update and shutdown" did nothing, I could not restart the laptop Having no choice I held down the power button and when it turned off I started it back up. When starting up it said there was an error and it is fixing it, stating it could take over an hour. About 10 minutes later the screen had lines all over it and it automatically restarted, then it said a problem was encountered and have me the option to restore which I chose. It is now, and has been for over an half an hour (at time of writing), stuck on the loading screen (black screen with blue windows logo), but no loading icon. But the hard drive light has been on all this time! Anyone else having this problem? Is it actually doing anything? Any tips on how to get my laptop working again? I have to say I'm not impressed with win8 so far :-(
    Friday, November 23, 2012 10:21 PM

Answers

• @Grovesy ~ You may be having an issue with the HDD actually being able to apply and/or fix the issue. Normally see this issue on all forms of Windows when the HDD is trying to give out. You might want to run a Hardware test if you have one and check it out just to make sure you aren't having an issue there. You may also have the issue below in my response to DPenners and Hekayat. On the Maps app issue you can try a refresh and it will reinstall your base line apps.

Clarification on 2 things as well; First, Hard Shut Down (Holding Power Button till shut off) is not ideal nor ever recommended unless you are able or ready to deal with the consequences of shutting down the HDD in the middle of something. This can not only damage the OS but can in turn also damage the HDD either on a physical or sector level. Second, Never interrupt an update or fix on the OS, it will at times get stuck and will be frustrating to wait for it but again, you need to make sure you wait or be ready to fix the OS if it messes up.

@DPenner and Hekayat ~ You may be having issue with update KB2756872. If so you can go here ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567#method1 ) and walk through this fix which has worked many times for me. If the update is still failing or taking a long time to apply then failing you can hide the update until they make a fix for it. Also you can try to uninstall you AV and run the update, I have seen this work as well in some rare cases.

If I have missed anything please feel free to correct or clarify. Following Thread.

Monday, December 03, 2012 5:22 AM

All replies

• If harddisk light is on, then it means it is working and doing something. It could be some repair and I suggest wait for a while and if that didn't solve the problem next time your start your PC there should be a menu to do troubleshooting, use that menu and chose restore your system to the time before problem happen.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:41 AM
  • Hi,

Meanwhile, if you meet this situation next time, you may refer to this article to troubleshoot:

Windows Update hangs when downloading or installing updates

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567#method1

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Thought I would add a follow up in case anyone else has the same problem.

So I left i running, and about 2 hours later it rebooted and did start back up. Note to Microsoft, please add some indication that it is actually doing something, and maybe an indication of how long it will take.

However everything was a lot slower and some of the default apps (contacts, messenger etc) had a cross in the top corner which indicated that there is something wrong with the app. 

Having said that after some time later it appears everything has sorted itself back out which is good, its just a shame there was absolutely no indication of what was happening.

Also, eventually i will be forced to install the update again.... will it fail!!

UPDATE: Ok I spoke to soon. Maps still has the little cross in the corner, clicking it says "App can't open" and tell you to go to the store. If you go to the store it say Maps should be re-installed. But there is no option to do this. So I uninstalled maps, but now I cannot install it again!!! When I go to Maps in the App Store there is no option to install it, however when you click the back button (to return to the other apps) you briefly see the install button appear as it slides back! An Ideas?
    • Edited by Grovesy Monday, November 26, 2012 9:36 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

As we said, we can perform a system restore to get rid of this issue and then check if we still have this problem.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:43 AM
  • I have the same problem with my brand new Lenovo Ideapad laptop (Windows 8).  I first started it up 2 days ago and ran through all of the initialisation procedures.  I also installed a couple of software packages, which installed and ran normally.

Today I started it up again, and I got the blue screen that says "Keep your PC plugged in until this is done.  Installing update 20 of 23".

It has been installing update 20 now for nearly 2 hours.  The rotating dots continue to rotate, but it seems completely stuck on number 20.

Is it possible for this update to take 2 hours to install?  I know I shouldn;t shut down the computer, but what should I do?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Hi DPenners,

To avoid a confusion, please open a new thread for your problem.

Thanks for understanding.

Alex Zhao

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:38 AM
  • I am experiencing an identical problem with following minor differences.  My laptop is an HP Pavilion G6 and the restart has been stuck on update 8 of 11 for the past 4 and a half hours.  I am anxious to know what I need to do next.
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 7:34 PM
  • @Grovesy ~ You may be having an issue with the HDD actually being able to apply and/or fix the issue. Normally see this issue on all forms of Windows when the HDD is trying to give out. You might want to run a Hardware test if you have one and check it out just to make sure you aren't having an issue there. You may also have the issue below in my response to DPenners and Hekayat. On the Maps app issue you can try a refresh and it will reinstall your base line apps.

Clarification on 2 things as well; First, Hard Shut Down (Holding Power Button till shut off) is not ideal nor ever recommended unless you are able or ready to deal with the consequences of shutting down the HDD in the middle of something. This can not only damage the OS but can in turn also damage the HDD either on a physical or sector level. Second, Never interrupt an update or fix on the OS, it will at times get stuck and will be frustrating to wait for it but again, you need to make sure you wait or be ready to fix the OS if it messes up.

@DPenner and Hekayat ~ You may be having issue with update KB2756872. If so you can go here ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567#method1 ) and walk through this fix which has worked many times for me. If the update is still failing or taking a long time to apply then failing you can hide the update until they make a fix for it. Also you can try to uninstall you AV and run the update, I have seen this work as well in some rare cases.

If I have missed anything please feel free to correct or clarify. Following Thread.

Monday, December 03, 2012 5:22 AM