none
Windows 8 download failed: the specified service does not exist as an installed service

Question

• Hi,

I've purchased Windows 8 Pro online this morning, and went through the setup procedure for an in-place upgrade (however, my problem is related to downloading the 2Gb of Windows 8 Pro - it doesn't make a difference whether I choose to do an upgrade or clean install, I still get the same issue).

I've purchased Windows 8 and received my registration key and receipt email.  However, within a few seconds of starting the download of Windows 8, I get the error message, "The download task did not complete. The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

I've tried to find an ISO or full download of Windows 8 as an alternative but can only find the release preview.  

Disappointed, as I wanted to leave Windows 8 downloading while I came to work, but now will have to wait until the evening before I start.  Has anyone seen this error or offer any advice?

Edit: I've done a Google, and find a lot of mentions relating to malware/spyware when this error comes into play. However, I've not had any other issues with Windows 7, and I am running AVG and keeping it up to date.  All other applications work without a problem and I've not experienced any strange behaviour from my PC.
    • Edited by sidasta Friday, October 26, 2012 7:48 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 7:45 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem and found the solution that worked for me.

Although “Windows update” services was running

“Background Intelligent Transfer Service” service was missing

Found a thread and run the fix, re-booted

“Background Intelligent Transfer Service” service  now listed and running

I found a solution but unable to put the hyperlink into the text, but if you putt http and www

Here is the rest of the link

winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

• Marked as answer by sidasta Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:11 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:39 AM
  • I got mine to work looks like my windows update was missing for some reason I followed this to fix it

I had to edit the registry to get them registered as services and restarted

i can't post links yet but you can Google windows update service missing and find out how to fix it 

you need both

Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service working

• Proposed as answer by MathewH Friday, October 26, 2012 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by sidasta Friday, October 26, 2012 6:19 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• Same issue here.

I bought win 8 upgrade, i have my serial key.

if i choose to install directly or download the iso it gives an error, if i choose to make an usb stick it's say that all went right but the stick is empty and cannot boot from it.

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:51 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem as you. I understand a few others are too - so hopefully someone Microsoft can help advise us here what to do.

Regards

P

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Got the same bloody issue, doesn't work and always fails.
    Friday, October 26, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem. 

MathewH's solution works for me! See below.
    Thx

• Edited by PO__ Friday, October 26, 2012 5:03 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 10:48 AM
  • I have had the same problem and have tried during the morning but cannot download the file.

It is now 4.00pm and still it doesn't work has anyone been able to download windows 8.

• Edited by Dave1000111 Friday, October 26, 2012 2:46 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 11:54 AM
  • I Have the Same Problem I got the serial number + the receipt keep getting the error
    "The Download Task Did Not Complete The Specified Services Does Not Exsist As An Installed Service"

My Laptop Is Compatible:
    4 Gb Ram, Intel i5 Processor, Nvidia Graphics Card, Running Official Windows 7 Home Premium With Mcafee Orignal Antivirus  

Please Help :{ This Is Really Bad, I Paid and Still am not being able to Download, Microsoft Please HELP

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Same issue, paid, download fails... 
    Friday, October 26, 2012 3:32 PM
  • I've also got the same issue :/
    • Proposed as answer by Arthur W Monday, December 03, 2012 5:40 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:14 PM
  • 8th person so far. I paid but same result , unable to download .
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Same thing here.

UK - Just purchased and got error.

Annoying!
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Guys, I've got round it!, It appears somehow the first time you download the setup it downloads a corrupted version, the solution to fixing is to simply navigate to this directory C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and delete the "WebSetup" folder then simply reopen the download link from your email with your product key and it should work!

Goodluck :)

• Proposed as answer by PO__ Friday, October 26, 2012 5:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sidasta Friday, October 26, 2012 5:07 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:44 PM
  • Deleted the folder,entered the key and when you try to download get the same error
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hi, Sorry yea, Ive just noticed that myself I thought I was on for a win turns out once you enter the product key the error reappears. Well atleast we have managed to get one more step further forward ^_^
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:04 PM
  • I got mine to work looks like my windows update was missing for some reason I followed this to fix it

i can't post links yet but you can Google windows update service missing and find out how to fix it 

you need both

• Proposed as answer by MathewH Friday, October 26, 2012 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by sidasta Friday, October 26, 2012 6:19 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:13 PM

you need both

This works!, Thanks if only the Microsoft Support team could be so helpful...
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Could you please tell us how to do it?

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Same error message for me.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:36 AM
  • I had the same problem and found the solution that worked for me.

Although “Windows update” services was running

“Background Intelligent Transfer Service” service was missing

Found a thread and run the fix, re-booted

“Background Intelligent Transfer Service” service  now listed and running

I found a solution but unable to put the hyperlink into the text, but if you putt http and www

Here is the rest of the link

winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

• Marked as answer by sidasta Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:11 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Original post removed by moderator, removing quote for consitency.

I don't think this is at all relevant to the problem we were having. And I don't think reinstalling Windows 7 is a valid solution when the above registry fixes will do the job much quicker and easier.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Thanks you guys help me out i got windows update running and BITS in services, but now its giving me a whole new error, now it tell me "Download did not complete successfully"   The download task did not complete. "Unspecified Error" any help would be great.

Thanks.                                                         T

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem but both services, Windows Update and BITS are running.

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Scarpolar,

If both of the services are working and you are not getting the error message that is in the title of the thread, then please start a new thread about your issue/error message.

Pedro_888,

Are you still receiving the error message that is in the title of the thread?

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Sorry guys,

i was able to fix and get both services running, now i'm having a different error.

Thanks for the help.

Monday, November 05, 2012 9:36 AM