Vista Laptop Battery -> "plugged in, not charging" discussion

General discussion

• I've been having some trouble with a laptop at work for the past few months. While I'm in Windows Vista, if I mouse over the battery icon I get a popup balloon saying that the battery status is "plugged in, not charging."

There was another thread about this issue back in October by "RockTech". The one suggested fix for this problem was to go under device manager and remove the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" device, and then do a 'scan for hardware changes' in order to re-add the device. After performing this 'fix', my battery began to charge normally (while in Windows Vista) but this only seemed to work for a day or so. The next time that I went to use the laptop, I found that it had reverted to the "plugged in, not charging" state.

Several of responses in this pervious topic had hinted that this is a hardware issue, and that people should replace their batteries or power cords in order to fix the issue. Several of the posters in the original thread indicated that they had replaced batteries, cords, motherboards, and in some cases had swapped for entirely new laptops, but they indicated that the problem remained.

In my own troubleshooting I've actually found that if I leave the laptop powered off, and then plug it into the wall socket, the battery will charge normally. However I've noticed that as soon as it gets into Vista, it ceases to charge and it will slowly deplete the battery.

From what I've seen, this doesn't look like a hardware issue at all.

• When the laptop is powered off but plugged in, it charges normally.
    • When the laptop is powered on and sitting in Windows Vista it doesn't charge at all.

This problem is really quite annoying, especially given that this is a company laptop and I can't really babysit it all the time. If my coworkers are using the laptop and have the thing plugged in for several hours, they reasonably assume that the battery will be charged, but if they have to unplug the computer for a second in order to move around, it instantly turns off because the battery has not been charging while plugged in, and has instead been slowly depleting itself.

Is there a true fix out there for this that I just haven't seen yet? If not, can someone from Microsoft at least tell me that this issue is being looked at and that a fix is in the works?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please let us know how you identify the battery is charged when the laptop is powered off, by checking the color of the charging light?

If so, will the light changes when the laptop is powered on?

We can also do this test:

Please just power on the computer and enter the BIOS to see if the battery will be charged.

To make our issue clear, please also let us know the brand and model of your laptop.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Adam Fish Thanks for mentioning this problem. I am using hp dv 6502 Au laptop from 2 years and suddenly one day it shows me the plugged in and not charging. I though there is problem in my battery or power-cord so I replace it but I still facing the same problem. I am really pissed of this problem and I want to solve this problem as early as possible.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:32 AM
  • Hi I have this same problem and yes you know its charging when the computer is off via the lights on the front of the computer, but just as Adam fish indicated as soon as vista starts it stops charging.  I entered bios just as you asked and it was charging as indicated.  Now I have thought I had fixed this with a BIOS update but the fix only lasted a day or so.  So today I hit f2 on boot up and chose "restore defaults" and so far that seems to have worked.  But by reading other posts on other forums this seems to be a VERY WIDE problem.  I suggest Microsoft look into this problem.

Thanks
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Update!  I figured out the problem; it seems to be caused by a partially burnt through positive wire in the laptop side of the ac adapter.  I fixed mine by cracking open the AC adapter (no small feat) and cutting the wire past the bad spot and then re soldering the length of good wire back into place.  I found this problem completely by accident I cracked open the ac adapter to look and see if I simply had a bad solder point, and i inadvertently pulled on the laptop side of the wire and it broke exposing burnt cover, I only assume it was partially burnt through as that is why the computer says "plugged in"  but the charging portion of the wire is the part that burnt.  my burn was rather close to the box of the adapter so you may have some other location.  Be careful make sure your laptop is unplugged and battery is disconnected.  proceed at your own risk
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Well, I was also having this problem which is completely annoying. I'm using Vista Business on a HP 520 Notebook and after reading the posts on the net, I was convinced it was Vista... UNTIL I got my notebook checked by a certified hardware personal.

I updated whatever software that HP has on its site, including the BIOS, software and hardware update but could not get it fixed. A friend of mine had a spare power adapter and I borrowed it. Been testing for few weeks now without problem.

It is hardware issue, and using the test meter, the power adaptor wasn't supplying the necessary voltage for it to charge the battery. Well HTH.

Roy Steven Ung
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:12 AM
  • for the record not always a tricky fault - hp dv9500 pavillion shut down, remove battery and found compartment dusty. Blow dust out and working.. for the moment
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Update!  I figured out the problem; it seems to be caused by a partially burnt through positive wire in the laptop side of the ac adapter.  I fixed mine by cracking open the AC adapter (no small feat) and cutting the wire past the bad spot and then re soldering the length of good wire back into place.  I found this problem completely by accident I cracked open the ac adapter to look and see if I simply had a bad solder point, and i inadvertently pulled on the laptop side of the wire and it broke exposing burnt cover, I only assume it was partially burnt through as that is why the computer says "plugged in"  but the charging portion of the wire is the part that burnt.  my burn was rather close to the box of the adapter so you may have some other location.  Be careful make sure your laptop is unplugged and battery is disconnected.  proceed at your own risk

I'm glad that worked for you, but I definetly wouldn't recommend that other people try that. Cracking open electrical equipment can be very hazardous to ones health!!!!

I know for certain that my battery charges when the computer is powered off & the cord is connected to the wall.

When I'm in Windows Vista is says "Plugged in, not charging". If I disconnect the cord it will run until the battery is depleted, usually after a couple of hours.

If I turn it off and plug it in to the wall the light will come on to indicate that it is receiving power from the A/C adapter. The battery light will also show up as orange indicating that it is low on power but charging. After an hour or two the battery light will turn blue - indicating that it is charged.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I haven't read every comment, so if this has been clarified please excuse me: Not every one here the same problem. Its very possible if your computer will charge while its turned off, but not when its running it could be a BIOS/software issue. Mine does not charge AT ALL, which obviously makes it a hardware issue. If you search you will find this is one of the most common issues that HP and Toshiba laptops have. Second to OVERHEATING. Most of you need to find a professional repair shop (not best buy, a real repair shop) and hope that its just a problem with the power jack or a diode, not a chip or fried board.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I have been trying to resolve this issue myself and I think has to do with Windows Vista. I have a Toshiba laptop that the battery charged fine until I upgraded to Vista then It would no longer charge. I have already flashed my bios and downloaded all the software upgrades but still no luck. I have also deleted it from device manager and reinstalled. I have also ran across this with other laptops running Vista.

WTF??? HELP!!!
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:09 AM
  • May be a stupid question, but how old is your battery?  And do any of your laptops happen to be Dv6000?
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:40 PM
  • HELP!!!
    I have the same problem with my Gateway.
    I have a few wrinkles. 
    First of all, this is not a hardware problem b/c the battery actually is charging when it says it is not. Let me explain: when I run the laptop on AC I get the plugged in not charging notification and sure enough if I unplug the computer it either shuts down or warns it is about to do so. This would seem as though the battery was depleted. BUT when I simply unseat the battery and put it back in it is right up there at 98%. So...the issue is software not hardware because the function of charging is actually taking place.
    Any advice on this annoying situation....and please read and understand that this is not a faulty adapter or battery...something fishy is happening.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:26 AM
  • I have the same situation as you testercast. My Gateway laptop says it is at 0%, plugged in, and not charging. If I have it run solely on the AC and take the battery out and put it back in, it says it has about 89% and it is charging. However, this only happens for about 1 minute. Then for some reason, the it goes back to saying the battery has 0%. Even when I run it on the battery that is not plugged in, it still says it has 0% but it is still running! I have not tested to see how long the batter does last, but this problem is very irritating to me. If anybody has any solutions to my problem i would greatly appreciate a reply. Thanks.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:25 AM
  • !!! I have the same problem as adambomb3893 - pretty much spot on.  My laptop is unplugged right now, still says 0%, and when I plug it in it says 0%, not charging.  When I try to recalibrate the battery, it gets to around 84-85% and then says that the battery is overheated or overcharged or something, and i have to reset my computer.  I have tried to remove the battery while its plugged in, and it starts to charge again, but then it hits a wall.  As adambomb seems to understand, the battery IS CHARGING but only to a certain point, and despite this, the computer suggests that it is not charging at all.  Any help would be great.

billstein22
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Found this issue on both vista and now windows 7... Resolution in this case:  Ensure you have all the latest updates from MS and the OEM, open device manager.  Remove the battery related devices, usually Microsoft device drivers, you may or may not be able to remove "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" no worries it can remain.  Shut the system down.  Unplug the AC and boot only with battery, you may see, if in verbose mode, that Windows is updating registry settings and performing updates... once at the desktop allow completing any updates occurring at the desktop including any new hardware detections.  Once done plug the ac in.  You should see the System Tray battery icon animation showing charging now.  Worked for me in a half dozen cases on various OEM with Vista and Windows 7.  Hope this helps someone else... GOOD LUCK!

Friday, January 15, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Hi,
    I have all the same issues using Vista on my HP Laptop.  The battery is dead, so I cannot boot with it, meaning using ac only in your process above. In addition, not all the updates will install. Many of the IMPORTANT updates fail and once fail they will never install regardless what we try. Others will install without issue, just to darn random. Too many hours wasted with Vista.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:35 AM
  • I have a dv6000 and have had a lot of problems with the battery.  My original battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than 5 minutes after 1 year.  I just bought a new battery that came discharged.  It charged up to 100% and I thought my problems were over but now I'm having the same problem as most everyone else: plugged in, not charging.  Reinstalled the driver and that worked, for about an hour.  Then it went back and forth from charging to not charging so I reinstalled it again.  It's been charging for about 30 minutes but I don't have faith that it will continue.  I know I don't have a faulty adapter because I just got that check at batteries plus.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hi Adam

I have the same problem and my Notebooks are brand new. First I i supplied the clients with Dell D630 which came with Vista, it gave me the error "plugged in not charging". Then i supplied them with Dell E5400 also with Vista and the same issue occured. This week I replaced all with HP Probooks 4310s which came with Windows 7 business and then again the same issue. With all these notebooks I have updated Bios firmware, Replaced power adapters, moved to different offices and checked out the Power Supply from mains, nothing and no results. I am pretty frustrated by now. All other notebooks with Windows XP loaded is in a good working condition.

I am from South Africa by the way

regards

virgel jane
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Friday, February 05, 2010 9:25 AM
  • ...if you googled a bit, you would see that it's not a matter of which laptop you use.
    I have a 3 week old Acer and it's the same, plugged in, not charging randomly.
    If you remove the battery, when the laptop is turned off, turn the laptop on again, the put the battery
    in while still powering on... the battery will start to charge regurarly for some days, then
    the issue will reoccur.
    Acer has no solution, new Bios, battery, supplier did not solve the issue, not even a new motherboard.
    This is for thousands of people running Vista or Win7 regardless which laptop they have, Acer, HP, Dell.. you name it.
    Microsoft ACPI driver is the probably guilty...
    Regards
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:24 PM
  • HI, I have the exact same laptop (HP dv6000) and was experienceing the same issue. The laptop would be plugged into the AC Adaptor it would indicate that it was "plugged in, not charging." Fortunately I had another AC Adaptor to experiment with. After plugging a different adaptor into the laptop, the battery charged to 100%. I believe that your issue is not wiht the BIOS or Windows Vista (I am running Vista also), but with the AC Adaptor itself. Even though you have had it tested ti still may be the problem. There is an earlier post about someone that diassembled their adaptor and repaired a wire on the inside. Once the wire was repaired their issue was resolved. Again point being that I believe the AC Adaptor is the culprit here and not the laptop battery.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:27 AM
  • I was having the same problems tried the soft fixes with no luck.  Finally I just removed the battery and cleaned off the contacts, reinserted and eureka!  I know most of you probably did this first thing so this won't help most of you but "Hey it's worth a try" if you haven't tried.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:18 PM
  •  

Ok here is one thing I figured out.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and have the same problem, says plugged in not charging. I bought a new battery and AC adapter still same problem.  I did the remove device from device manager and updated my BIOS problem still there.  What I did was to replace my hard drive with another from an additional Dell Laptop I had that has Windows XP installed.  This charged my battery with no problems at all; as well it charged my old battery too.  Even worked with my old AC adapter.  My laptop now says plugged in charging every time.  The only thing I changed was the hard drive no other components were replaced.  I did however update/install drivers for this laptop on my XP hard drive.  I wanted to make sure all components were working just in case.  As soon as I re-installed my original hard drive, (with Vista), the problem returns.  This tends to make me believe that there is an issue with Windows Vista and not the components of my computer.  I have 4 Dell laptops and 2 of which are showing this problem both run Windows Vista. The other 2 run XP and Windows 7. The Windows 7 laptop also has the exact same problem, different machine.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 4:26 PM
  • Hi there here is a easy way to solve the problem its not hard, all you need to do is put the charger in and take out the bat leave it out for a few seconds then put it back in, it should be working.
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Hi there here is a easy way to solve the problem its not hard, all you need to do is put the charger in and take out the bat leave it out for a few seconds then put it back in, it should be working.

Does anyone have a real/permanent fix? Is Windows taking any steps in releasing an update, especially since it seems to be associated with Windows 7? This is getting quite annoying and I'm sure people around the world feel the same way!

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:24 PM
  • I cant believe this worked. For me anyway...

All I did was take out the ac adapter whilst the laptop was on...I let it run on batteries for a few minutes...then plugged the adapter back in and the battery's now showing that it's charging. For how long that remains to be seen...

Thanks for the tip.

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:58 AM
  • We have tried all the suggestions to date, inlcuding doing a total system recovery, and still cannot get the battery charged. Over $130 for a new battery? Plus shipping and taxes. What a rip.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

I had the plugged in not charging problem with my sony vaio laptop. I found sony have a "battery care" bit of software that limits the charging to approx 80% as the battery gets older. I have turned this off completely and now its happily charging up to 100%. Not sure if this helps but other manufacturers may have a similar bit of software. worth a try!

Good luck

Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Late for the party...

I also tried everything in this thread, but no luck. Today I found a way to make it work on my Dell Latitude D830.

I downloaded Dell's diagnostics tool, burnt it to CD and ran it. I don't know if it started directly or if it was after I ran the battery tests, but the charger woke up and and started charging the battery. It continued charging after rebooting to normal Win7.

I suppose there are some old XP-style drivers in use, that don't care so much about temperature and other stuff - the laptop is really warm now.

/Sam

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:16 PM
  • for what it's worth I've had to deal with this a lot at work on Vista laptops on HP 530 business laptops.  Some steps to take (per many forums):

01. Turn off laptop.

02. Unplug AC power.

03. Remove battery.

04. Replace AC power.

05. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot.

06. Once logged in to the machine, perform a normal shut down.

07. Unplug AC power.

08. Replace battery.

09. Replace AC power.

10. Turn on laptop, allow OS to boot. The battery should once again be charging as normal

Also, check your manufacturer's website to see if there are any bios updates for your motherboard.  I had an HP dv4 series laptop that had a patch for charging issues- though not related to this Vista issue.

A final thing: if you're running Windows 7 go to the command prompt and type powercfg -energy  and it will run a power usage report which will be saved under your c:\users\(user profile) directory.  Scroll down & see your batteries capacity & last charged state to determine if your battery is bad.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Ok so My computer is saying plugged in not charging also but then it says plugged in charging and going back and forth I dont know why.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:20 PM
  • still battling this with a Fujitsu Lifebook right now.  This sucks
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Having the same problem with my ACER Notebook. It came with vista, so I don't know if it's a vista problem or not...all i know is it's really, really irritating because i have 5% left as I type, and really wanna know how to fix it!

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

I have a very similar problem to many above. I recently had the 'Plugged in, Not charging' problem, and I followed some advice involving removing the battery whilst the adapter is plugged in etc and it did, at first, say 'Plugged in, Charging' but it wasn't actually charging. As soon as I removed the adapter, the laptop shuts down. I have recently bought a new adapter, a universal power adapter, not sure if its good or bad in terms of my problem though. I was told it had something to do with Vista, so am thinking of buying Windows 7. I have a Fujitsu Siemens Li 1818 laptop. Just wondering if anyone could help? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot, Mark.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 11:07 PM
  • A final thing: if you're running Windows 7 go to the command prompt and type powercfg -energy  and it will run a power usage report which will be saved under your c:\users\(user profile) directory.  Scroll down & see your batteries capacity & last charged state to determine if your battery is bad.

I have a Aspire 2920 upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 at 6 months old...as soon as i rebooted after upgrade my battery showed as not charging/unrecognised...tried all suggestions i could find even back to Vista OS...seemed battery had died although it was charging and running perfectly on battery before upgrade.

Bought a new battery and has been charging normally for four months until this morning.

Tried all suggestion here but the laptop is still saying plugged in not charging and then it says plugged in charging and flipping back and forth while the battery light on keyboard flashes from orange to green.

I tried the above and have a battery report but don't understand the numbers pertaining to last charge etc...how do i tell if i have a bad battery please.

Battery:Battery Information
    Battery ID     19209SANYOGARDA31
    Manufacturer     SANYO
    Serial Number     19209
    Chemistry     LION
    Long Term     1
    Design Capacity     73260
    Last Full Charge     49628
    Monday, July 26, 2010 10:43 AM
  • I had the same problem as everyone here.  It started after my laptop was off for a year when I started using it again it was 56% plugged in not charging and I could un plug it and it would last for like 30 minutes before switching off. I could un plug it  then plug in again which would start the charging but it would stop after a minute or so.   Then it went down to 43% plugged in, not charging and a little less battery life.  It went down by about 10% a week before it got to 12% plugged in, not charging. At this point I tried all stuff like removing the battery drivers and re-installing them nothing worked.  Battery driver was giving me fatal messages for the battery.  I bought a new battery £30 which I was impressed with and no problems as yet seems to be working fine.  That was it for me.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Yes, I was having the same problem with my gateway.  I took my battery out, and put it back in, everything is back to normal and it is fully charged.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:26 AM
  • i have an acer travelmate 5520 series and my battery doesnt charge but when i take it out and put it back in it charges for a little bit then doesnt charge and says plugged in not charging any help???
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Hi guys, i need a serious help here, i have same problem but in different way, i have toshiba M 300 satellite laptop, working on Window vista, 2 week back in morning i woke up and turn on the lappy , after 10 mins its turn off itself without any warning , i called to toshiba customer care , he told me the steps of power drainage . i did this but no positive result, then i took my lappy to toshiba service center , they told me they will take 2 days to diagnose ,then i took it to local service center (not toshiba). they took 4 hours to diagnose and told that there is sumthing burnt in motherboard, they fixed it, laptop was working fine , but i plugged in AC adapter it was not charging by original adapter , on compatible adapter it shows plugged in ,not charging, i brought my laptop to back home, i tried with original charger, and i found that its charging the battery only if i withdraw the battery and put it again, and once the battery is 100% , it will charge(shows light thats its plugged in), but once it less than 90% ,plugged in light wont come on computer. i want to ask u guys , is this is a hardware problem or software, as even tech at repair center told me that i have seen this problem first time, please tell me some possible solutions..........

one thing i want to add is once its charged 100%, Ac adapter will charge the battery even without withdrawing and replacing the battery , but if the battery is less than 90% , i have to withdraw and replace the battery to make it keep charging.
    • Edited by kammoga Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:55 AM
  • hi guys, no reply , anybody can help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:16 AM
  • hi

I am using sony vaio E-Series laptop bought it 1 month before. I faced the same problem that the battery charging upto 80% on my windows 7, but when i shut it down and try charging the battery it was charging properly.

I got a  solution from a site (http://digitalpbk.com/hardware/sony-vaio-enable-battery-care-function-improve-battery-life) to charge my battery to 100%. This is not at all a hardware issue. There is a setting in sony care to make my battery to charge fully.

So Please search in your manufacturer site/forums or try to find any applications like what i have sony care and look for any battery settings, surely you will get it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Vijai

Sunday, September 19, 2010 7:09 PM
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xf-ipP0wSY&feature=fvw

This worked for me!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Here's my solution, to add to the frustration commentary.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 which started showing this problem a few weeks ago - with OEM battery & charger.  I tried everything on dozens of posts, to no avail.  My son happened to have a 5-yr old Inspiron 1505 with compatible adapter socket, so I tried his (4th!) cheapo 3rd party charger - bingo!  we are now charging.

I suspect this is a combination hardware/software issue, perhaps due to some software-measured charger output voltage being the culprit.  I'd appreciate seeing some confirmation from a WinHEC expert...

Good luck, folks.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:42 PM
  • Greetings fellow frustratees - I also am suffering from the vista battery charging conundrum - this is everything I tried on my Dell Latitude D630 running Vista 32 bit which is out of warranty:

1 Bought new battery - system drained it when i left laptop unplugged
    2 Two different adapters PA-10 and PA-12 -one brand new
    3 Updated BIOS to newest update (17)
    4 Reinstalled drivers
    5 went into device manager and uninstalled both battery managers and then reinstalled battery and updated hardware
    changes -
    6 Pulled battery out and unplugged and every possible order and combination of this possible

7 Ran Microsft fix-it and dell diagnostics

nothing is working and I am at my wits end but I think I've finally narrowed it down to being the power adapter jack which involves dissassembling the computer and soldering - which is a bit(!!!!) over my head and as I am unemployed and very broke I can't afford an expensive fix.  What I am now going to try and if it is the jack should work - is buy a docking station - for those of you who might benefit from same fix I found a refurbished Dell docking station for $40.00 incuded tax shipping and 2 year warranty from Overstock,com which is an amazing price as they are frequently found for $100 and up refurbished - alot more new.  Mostly Dell sells refurbished parts too - only they don't mention it unless you ask.

So - that's my 2 cents good luck and god bless all.

PS  also found this fabulous site with excellent troubleshooting help:

http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/battery.htm

he publishes a book which looks great check it out and no I have no stake nor do I know the guy

Eltee
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Similar problem.  Here's a twist:  My problem began shortly after I snagged my power cord while moving around the room.  I remember checking for damage but everything seemed OK, then I started having the plugged in not charging problem.  The thing is, I can jiggle the connection at my computer and change the message to Charging.  The rest of the twist is that this happened to me on my previous laptop almost 3 years ago.  This was before Vista, so this happened on XP Dell.  Again, the problem began shortly after a snagged power cord.  You can replace the battery and the charger, but if you damage the connection at the computer, the problem stays.  Anyone have any similarities?
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 11:27 AM
  • I spent alot of time troubleshooting this with experts exchange and it seems that the jack is soldered to the motherboard - so yiou may have damanged the motherboard when you dsnagged your powercord - you can try soldering the jack to the motherboard - or you may have to replce the motherboard which is a rather expensive proposition if not in warranty.  To get around the jack problem I tried the docking station - but that didn't work so my motherboard must have problems.  My final solution that works is I bought an external battery charger for $40 including shipping and one year warranty - it charged both my batteries up to 100% and I'll just have to live with switching th batteries when I deplete the one that's in - right now that's the best solution for me as I cannot afford a new computer and the motherboard fix is not good considering the age of my computer - good luck to all - at least I'll get some sleep tonight!

Also would strongly recoomend "The Laptop Repair Book" by Morris Rosenthal - you can buy it at Amazon.com or download it off th internet (and the internet has support pages with illustrations - you can download it or check it out at www.fonerbooks.com - I was very impressed with him.

Eltee
    Sunday, November 07, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I can explane what the problem is and why it appears to be a fault in vista. If the power supply is slightly damaged, like the burnt out bit in moondags case or a slight nick in the power cable then the full voltage required wont be supplied to the laptop. The laptop will still work but wont be able to do everything at once due to lack of power. It needs 100% to both charge the battery and run windows and more so the screen display, if its only recieving say 80% power vista knows it cant do everything and so tells the laptop to use all available power to run the laptop and forget about charging the battery as its less inportant. Thats why if you turn off the laptop or run in bios the battery starts to charge again as less power is needed overall and theres enought spare to start charging again.

Hope this helps every one

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:59 PM
  • these link have all been removed
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:34 PM
  • okay i know its a MS issue, i have a brand new asus and brandnew hp laptop,  both windows 7 one is 7 ultimate, i have tried the remove battery only to come back immediately or the next day.. 

i have replaced all the win7 drivers on both machines, re-installed fresh win 7 from recovery and symtoms still appear,

tried multiple solution, only to fix for a day..

but heres the deal,  i installed ubuntu (free) on both booted to those, battery charges fine all the time for the last two months .. but if i boot (dual mode) back to windows 7  no go, 

so i got in on the beta windows 7 sp1 for the hp and hoped that would solve it, no deal 

it has to be a MS issue.. hope they fix it,

btw  (by the way)  loving ubuntu (have google os beta too on usb) but ubuntu, no problems, boots pretty easy surfs internet faster, broswers are faster everything on a x64 bit machine and x86 32 bit  .. wish MS would come out with WindowsX - linux version and skip this retarded bloatware

cant wait for google os that will solve most of my problems except for graphic design/ music/video (adobe products) and music production software...

im about ready to re-install mac os on my hp laptop - it was kinda buggy thought,  or go get a mac  .. i remember those days of no problems..

MS better get on the ball and catch back up with their other players    

hope this helps someone realize it is a MS related issue.. i am sure they have recreated it too.. they have multiple notebook testing machines..  maybe they will just get gut level honest and admit it and get a fix for it..

i guess i could go back to xp  that would solve it too..  

rob
    Saturday, December 04, 2010 5:29 AM
  • On my HP I have found that if you just remove the battery for a moment and reinstall it whithout the AC cord plugged in, it will revert to normal operation for a while. Even when the icon shows that the battery has no charge, do the above procedure and I have found that the battery actually had a full charge.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 5:01 AM
  • run disk check dell inspiron 1545,works dont know why
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:57 AM
  • I have an Acer Aspire, running Vista and my power cable is starting to give up the ghost, plus I have a flaky connection on the laptop, so if the lead isn't in just-so, it won't think it's plugged in sometimes.

Recently, I got the "plugged in, not charging" message and noticed that while plugged in, everything was fine, but if unplugged (obviously) the battery level fell, and then when plugged in (again, obviously given the message) it did not recover.

After reading this page, I tried the route of removing the battery while the laptop was running (with the power cord plugged in).

I checked that the laptop had registered this change, it had (said "no battery detected"). Then, I replaced the battery.

After a second, it detected the battery, now reads "plugged in, charging", and has increased about 10% in the last 10 minutes.

So, in short: Booted up with cord in, flipped out battery briefly (while turned on, plugged in), replaced battery. Fixed!

Worth trying if you haven't already, given the ease with which you can test the solution :)

All good again, thanks for those posters who suggested this method!

Friday, December 31, 2010 1:00 PM
  • I also have an Acer Aspire(5551G). The only difference is I am running 64-bit windows 7. I had the 'plugged in, not charging' problem so I found this forum and followed your steps. Now my battery is charging once again. Thank you for your tips DeathBoy!
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

I have an Inspiron model 1525, and I have the same problem as everyone else.

But at first, the battery wouldn’t charge at all! So I got a new cord, and that worked for about a week, and then it read ‘plugged in not charging’.

And what worked for me was getting a can of ‘Dust off’ and cleaning the battery, and the ac adapter plug in.  Well that worked for about 2 hours, and then went back to plugged in not charging.   Holy buckets, this is a very frustrating problem!

Then I saw that the end of the Ac adapter (The part that plugs into your laptop. Sorry people don’t know what it’s called) was just a little small. So I got a new one, plugged it in, and it’s been charging for about 2 weeks now. Hope it last’s.

Rainclaw.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Found this issue on both vista and now windows 7... Resolution in this case:  Ensure you have all the latest updates from MS and the OEM, open device manager.  Remove the battery related devices, usually Microsoft device drivers, you may or may not be able to remove "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" no worries it can remain.  Shut the system down.  Unplug the AC and boot only with battery, you may see, if in verbose mode, that Windows is updating registry settings and performing updates... once at the desktop allow completing any updates occurring at the desktop including any new hardware detections.  Once done plug the ac in.  You should see the System Tray battery icon animation showing charging now.  Worked for me in a half dozen cases on various OEM with Vista and Windows 7.  Hope this helps someone else... GOOD LUCK!

guys just created an account to say this is the method that worked for me...before tthat i tried every variation and combination of the unistalling battery software,removing/putting in battery, plugging/unplugging charger...everything... nothing worked...so if youve tried everything else without success give this one a try...

btw thanx FranTic1 :p

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I've had my pavilion for about a year and a half when I noticed that it said "plugged in, not charging". I'm not actually loosing any battery power when I have it plugged in, but it doesn't charge the battery at all, just keeps it at the same percentage. I did some intense Googling on it after I checked my power cord and all of that jazz. At one point, shutting down my computer and taking out the battery for a few minutes and then starting it up on just the battery worked... for about 10 minutes. As I went to post a "this is what seemed to fixed the problem for me", it stopped working. Very frustrating. I also tried uninstalling the Control Method Battery from under the Device Manager. That didn't work either.

Has Microsoft done anything to fix this? Cause from what I can tell, it's a software problem, not a hardware issue.

Thanks.

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:58 AM
  • I was having the same problems tried the soft fixes with no luck.  Finally I just removed the battery and cleaned off the contacts, reinserted and eureka!  I know most of you probably did this first thing so this won't help most of you but "Hey it's worth a try" if you haven't tried.

this worked! i didnt even think of cleaning it..
    Friday, February 18, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Click on the below link to update the BIOS:
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=24424&dscr=Gateway%20MC73,%20MC78,%20MD73%20and%20MD78%20BIOS%20Version%209911a%20for%20Windows%20Vista&uid=297486028

Please follow the below steps to install BIOS:

- Download the file and unzip its contents to the computer.
    - Run the BIOS update application from the Windows folder
    - Follow the prompts to install the update to the BIOS.

After installing the BIOS file:

- Shutdown the computer.
    - Remove the battery for 30 seconds, then reinstall the battery
    - Reboot the computer and press F2 to go into the BIOS Setup Utility.
    - Press F9 to load default configuration.
    - Press F10 to save configuration and exit.

Worked for my Gateway MD7333u.  Got this answer from gateway.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:57 PM
  • THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS!  I tried all variations of BIOS remedies, uninstall device manager, unplug, restart... everything, and this worked.  I think they key is leaving out the battery for a minute while the uninstall is in effect.

Now that I have covered the helpful response, and my computer is charging... it's time to say that MICROSOFT IS A BUNCH OF LIERS! For crying out loud, I know it's not cost effective to admit that a software problem caused this error, but if your "was my idea" campaign was worth 50 superbowl commercials, then who's friggin idea was ignoring a prevalent problem that your customers brought to your attention? I have never bought a MAC, and thought it was a B-list non-main stream hippy computer... well guess what... you just lost your billionth + 1 customer to MAC.  I'll never buy a microsoft computer again... liers... a teenage asian kid with a video camera is has to help your customers fix software problems!?!? really?!?!

MICROSOFT-  SHOULDN'T YOU WELCOME CUSTOMER PROBLEMS AND OFFER REAL SOLUTIONS TO CHANGE THEM IN AN EFFORT TO CONTINUOUSLY IMPROVE THE SOFTWARE?!?!? You bet your busted buns Bill Gates isn't sending his laptop in for "hardware" repairs on this one.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:53 PM
  • I had the same problem on my Sony Vaio EB series laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. It also charged when it is switched off and it stops when windows boot up. It was due to a function called "Battery Care Function" it says "Battery life will be about 80% of the one of the fully charged battery, however, this mode prevents battery degradation and is more effective if you usually use the computer with battery power. [Note] When you use the AC adapter to power the computer and the battery power is higher than the desired value, it takes time to reach the specified amount of battery charge. It is recommended to discharge the battery to less than 80% by using the computer with battery power." Things get back to normal when you disable it. But I kept it enabled because it is said to extend my battery's life. Hope this helps
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:24 PM
  • How do you get the battery care function? I just deleted my battery devices and that didn't work... I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E with Windows 7. My computer is "plugged in, not charging." It also does not turn on when my computer has the battery in when it is both plugged in and unplugged; the computer only turns on when it is plugged in and the battery is out.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:31 AM
  • It's very simple. I had the same problem a while back, and found the solution on some forum or other. It happened again to me today, and I was looking for the article, but decided to do my own thing and it worked. Basically, all you have to do is:

1. Shut off computer.

2.Remove battery.

3.While power cord is plugged in, turn on computer.

4.Log in and check battery status. It should say Plugged in, no battery detected. If not, you need professional help.

5.Remove power cord. This will cause your computer to immediately turn off.

6.Replace battery and power cord and start computer normally. Check status. It should be charging now. If not, you need professional help.

It might help to write this down before shutting down, because, you know. Good luck.

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hey,

Wow thanks, I went to turn my Windows 7 computer on today and found (plugged in not charging) now that I followed your steps it says plugged in charging. let's hope it works :)

Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Thanks!!! I have been trying to fix this for so long.  I bought a new battery, charger, and nothing worked so thanks.
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I've been experiencing the problem where it says that it is plugged in but not charging.  My icon on Windows Vista says the battery is at 3% not charging and I've had it plugged in for 3 days now, with the computer on, and it hasn't died yet.  But, it also hasn't charged.  I turned off my computer for a little bit, and it didn't charge.  If I turn it off for say a day and keep it plugged in, will it charge?

Also, I'm pretty computer illiterate, so, the ac adapter is the block thing in the power cord correct?  The light bulb on my laptop for the battery isn't on, I see a slight blue from the socket, but it doesn't seem to be on.  The bulb for being plugged in and whether it's on, off, or sleeping is bright.  So, my computer is definately not charging.  This laptop is about 3 years old, but it's worked great for me.  Also, I don't know if this is related, but my wireless stopped working just before my battery did this.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:43 PM
  • 1. Shut off computer. 2.Remove battery. 3.While power cord is plugged in, turn on computer. medion akku
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:50 AM
  • I have had this issue as well with a Dell laptop next to some other severe issues. To solve the battery issue I had to replace the charger to a different model. Next to that I had my network dropping all the time (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaie/thread/2c31cb4e-119b-443b-8058-099106d84435/) so I decided to go back to XP what has been working fine until I decided by a week ago to upgrade again to Vista OS. I need to develop for websites and MS has restricted IE9 for vista and above which forced me to have Vista again. Now I have a previous very stable laptop that has become a pain in the...

My network drops randomly, I just found out that my battery isn't charging even though I'm plugged in. Vista blocks my own Admin account from basic write permissions and so on. I really don't understand that after downloading all the updates and servicepacks these issues persist and almost make a computer worthless.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Omg thanx so much! I did that its working 100% great!! Thank you so much!!
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Can you explain how to enter the BIOS?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:00 AM
  • After trying all the software and device related problems, I went on moondog's assumption that it was a wire-related problem. I exchanged my universal AC chord with my wife's toshiba chord (I'm Toshiba, too)...her computer still worked fine, mine still had the same problem.

I noticed that my laptop's AC connection had a lot of play to it..it was loose. So against better judgement, I opened up my laptop. Scary, do not recommend. Found that the plastic that holds my AC connection to the laptop was cracked--wires looked fine. I bundled up electrical taped and placed it behind the connection (a la matchbook for a table leg). reassembled the laptop. and all is fine.

guess my connection could not fully connect because the male end in my PC would retract into the laptop.

anyway, opening up your computer and exposing all the components that hold your job's most important documents is terrifying, and really not rational if you don't know what to do when you get there...I just got desperate, didn't think my jerry rig would be successful, and hoped that I would be able to boot my comp again. It worked.

so, check the connection point at the comp. if it is loose, take it to a hardware person that knows how to open up your comp w/o destroying it.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:09 AM
  • HI,, all.. I too have same problem in my HP DV4 pavilllion notebook.  there is no problem with my charger, because it is charging till 85%. only after that its sayin "plugged in & Not charging".  Im using Windows 7 home premium. my lap is 1.5 years old.

any solution guys?

Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:16 AM

This is the very SOLUTION that worked for me. THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! for this, battery charging away no problem now. Sorry about name something went mad when registering lol. I only registered because I was so pleased with the result of this. 10 out of 10.
    • Edited by HElla12 Monday, September 19, 2011 2:03 PM typo
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Greetings!  Backed into this Forum just a couple hours ago after taking receipt of a new battery for this Dell Inspiron 1420, Vista 64bit!  Of course, I installed it and no joy, leading to this painful discovery of this Forum.  I've now tried various incantations, including rubbing my belly as I reboot and have done my best to follow the various suggested protocols, including the most recent one from HElla12, but still no joy!  I suppose I'll try some variations of this theme as well.  Amazing, the various methods/protocols people have attempted.  To add insult to injury, my son's AlienWare laptop is having the very same problem though I've not tried any repairs on it as of this writing.  Very discouraging. . .

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Still no luck with either the Inspiron 1420 OR the Alienware laptop!  Think I'll try to shop for an external charger though, of course, there's no universal external laptop battery charger since laptop batteries vary from model to model, brand to brand!!!!  What a world!!!!  So much for portability.  Any other "Inspiring" ideas out there????
    • Edited by Marblehead Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Don't anybody out there in cyberworld move!  Wrote the last post a week ago, have used the laptop heavily since then because I was on the road travelling, ran the unit solely off of the AC adapter and have slowly watched the brand new batter discharge to the point of the red "x" on the battery tray icon.  So got home today, just now fired up the laptop and thought I'd visit these postings to see if any new news came through.  And then, on a whim, I simply pulled the AC adapter plug in and out of the laptop itself and . . .you guess it, got the sucker to start charging!  So I'm sitting here with the laptop actually on my lap, terrified that if I move I'm going to lose the magical moment.  It has now charge +2% in the past 5"!  I can't believe it!  I'm not sure what else has happened nor why but if it's simply a low-voltage deteriorated contact at the plug into the laptop, I'm gonna spray the sucker with electrical contact cleaner and see what happens.  Perhaps that's all it is for me on this unit.  I've had the same problem with my cordless hand vacuum!!!!  Could it be?  Well, stand by 'cause I'm not going to move from my position until I have at least 50% recharge on this thing. . .Amazing!
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Well, for no obvious reason, the unit's back to not charging and through an unavoidable series of start-ups, is now down to about 11%. . .Honest, I didn't do anything to cause it to stop recharging and can't do anything to restore charging.  Argghhhhh!  Very frustrating.

Friday, October 07, 2011 3:12 AM
  • compatable batterie replacment for vaio laptops will not work if the OS is in 64 bit. Only way to over come is take the 4 screws out of the rear of both battery packs (origanal and replacment) and swap over the internal power cells(6 in total). Re screw and the origanal sony batterie pack will work with the new internal power cells from the replacment battery pack.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:51 PM
  • I found that my battery would not charge if it hadn't gone to the orange light, but if I waited until then it charged just fine.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Step 1: Power Drain.

1. Shut down the notebook.
    2. Disconnect the AC adapter and take out the battery from the notebook.
    3. Disconnect any external devices if connected to the notebook.
    4. Press and hold down the power button on the notebook for 2 minutes.
    5. Reconnect the AC adapter and battery and power on the notebook.

Step 2: Clean the battery connectors.

1. Shut down the notebook.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and take out the battery from the notebook.
    3. Using a clean piece of cloth clean the battery connectors (do not use any liquid or water).
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC adapter

This what I got for my HP DV5 Notebook from HP online support. Anyway I did Jawz and mine combined and worked perfect. ENJOY!!!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Thanks but none of these work for me I have new battery and adaptor
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:30 PM
  • I have read a lot of posts that have said that this is solely a vista problem.  Not true!  I have windows 7 on a toshiba satellite L636, and this same problem has been driving me bonkers...  I tried the battery trick ( You know, the same way you get a Nintendo 64 cartridge to work), and it is only a temporary fix.  I tried the Device Manager solution, and this works a little longer than the battery trick, but it still goes bad after a couple hours or days.  Lately I did something, and it has worked fine. just by using the battery method.  I do realize that it is most definitely not a hardware issue, but a software accessibility issue.  Going into the battery and power options gives no options to fix this.

After uninstalling the ACPI Compliant control method under the battery section, I right-clicked and chose Scan for Hardware Changes.  Upon doing this, the computer pops up a dialog box saying (scanning plug and play compliant hardware) and then basically refreshes the manager list.  I am not sure what this does, since it does it so fast, but I assume it is installing the very basic missing drivers.    Someone suggested to me to flash my BIOS, but I am slightly wary of doing this, as I have not done if before, and I spent 800 dollars on this laptop, and cant exactly do that again if something goes wrong.

Can someone elaborate for me how to Flash a BIOS?

Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Sony vaio has a lock installed on their laptops that prevent users from running anything other than expensive Sony replacement. to remove the lock follow these instructions. Then you will be able to charge OEM batteries on a Sony computer.  http://www.level8technology.com/downloads/SonySetup_Instructions.pdf
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 2:36 PM
  • After a lot of search I found this one worked for me. I had this problem with me new laptop.

http://mashtips.com/why-is-my-laptop-battery-plugged-in-but-not-charging/

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:59 PM