none
How do I keep Windows Vista from rearranging my desktop Icons??

Question

• Rarely, but unacceptably often, Windows vista completely reorganizes my desktop.  I have LOTS of icons, which I group visually for my personal usage style, and every so often Vista appears to decide piss me off and rearrange everything.  Most recently, I was displaying ESPN3 to my TV via an RGB connection.  This somehow appeared to magically (and inappropriately) reset the display resolution.  When I disconnected the TV, the icons on the desktop had all been shuffled.

How do I prevent this forever???

Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:49 PM

Answers

• You can use this 3rd party tool to store the Icons on the desktop:

Desktop Restore

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:57 PM
  • This happens when you'r running an app or doing anything that changes your screen's resolution even if its for just a split second.

here's a tool that works just great here

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:02 PM

All replies

• You can use this 3rd party tool to store the Icons on the desktop:

Desktop Restore

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:57 PM
  • This happens when you'r running an app or doing anything that changes your screen's resolution even if its for just a split second.

here's a tool that works just great here

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:26 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

You may test the issue in Safe Mode and Clean Boot first.

I also suggest you create a new user account to test the issue. The user profile issue also can cause such issue.

What’s the result?

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:51 AM