none
Windows Easy Transfer does not connect Windows 8 with Windows 7

Question

• A Windows 7 PC and a Windows 8 PC are on a network and working flawlessly.  They can access each other either by shared folders or Homegroup. I am trying to transfer files and settings from the Windows 7 PC to the Windows 8 PC using Windows Easy Transfer.  Everything proceeds smoothly until the connection step when process gets stuck.  I do not know how to go about to address issue. 

Any tip will be greatly appreciated. 

Hong

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:25 AM

Answers

• One way this can happen is if the IP addresses of the two machines don't share the same first 3 parts (i.e. it'll work if the two IP addresses are 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.1, but not if they are 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.234.0). You can get into this situation if you more than one router for example.

Reason for this is Windows Easy Transfer finds the other machine by basically broadcasting "hi, I'm here, anyone else there?" onto your network - and we restricted that broadcast to be just within the subdomain as a security measure.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:24 PM
  • WET uses the 7000 port - can you check if it's blocked or not please?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Yes, that makes sense - if WET isn't running, there would be nothing for telnet to connect to.

Only thing I can suggest at this point is that while 7000 is open, something is blocking traffic on it...

Apologies I can't be of more help :(

Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Hallelujah!  WET has finally worked with the network option.

It dawned on me that the source Windows 7 PC had an issue with “Network Discovery and File Sharing” that I resolved earlier by importing the security policy from the destination Windows PC because restoring defaults did not work.  It tried WET with the network option again a moment ago, and the connection was established instantly.  Of course, I had to stop it.

Hong

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which method do you use to transfer items to Windows 8, via network or via USB drive?

If you stuck at this step, you can try the other methods for a test.

How To Transfer Files, Settings & User Profiles From Windows 7 To Windows 8

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/transfer-files-settings-from-windows-7-to-windows-8/

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:28 AM
  • I was using the network option.  I eventually changed it to the external hard drive option, and it worked.  I was trying to understand why the network option does not work.

Hong

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:07 PM
  • One way this can happen is if the IP addresses of the two machines don't share the same first 3 parts (i.e. it'll work if the two IP addresses are 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.1, but not if they are 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.234.0). You can get into this situation if you more than one router for example.

Reason for this is Windows Easy Transfer finds the other machine by basically broadcasting "hi, I'm here, anyone else there?" onto your network - and we restricted that broadcast to be just within the subdomain as a security measure.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:24 PM
  • These two computers have the following IP addresses:

I later tried to use WET between two Windows 7 PC's thinking this must work.  Unfortunately, it had the same problem.  I ended up using an external hard drive again, and it worked again.

Hong

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:46 AM
  • WET uses the 7000 port - can you check if it's blocked or not please?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 8:27 PM
  • They seem to be open.

I can connect with the following: when WET is running:

telnet 192.168.0.198 7000

telnet 192.168.0.200 7000

When WET stops connecting, the telnet session either stops or is unable to be established.  Am I making any sense?

Hong

Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:06 AM
  • Yes, that makes sense - if WET isn't running, there would be nothing for telnet to connect to.

Only thing I can suggest at this point is that while 7000 is open, something is blocking traffic on it...

Apologies I can't be of more help :(

Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Thanks a lot for trying to help out, Michael.

Actually, I have finished the migration with the external drive option and it worked quite well.  The network option would be more convenient, but intuitively, it may not be as robust as an external drive, so it is not necessarily a preferred option. 

I will try the network option again for the next migration out of curiosity, and report back here if it works.

Hong

Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:36 PM
  • Hallelujah!  WET has finally worked with the network option.

It dawned on me that the source Windows 7 PC had an issue with “Network Discovery and File Sharing” that I resolved earlier by importing the security policy from the destination Windows PC because restoring defaults did not work.  It tried WET with the network option again a moment ago, and the connection was established instantly.  Of course, I had to stop it.

Hong

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Glad you got to the bottom of it!

This is the sort of thing that can go wrong with the network connection option - it's so easy for the connection to be blocked. You're right - for the average user, an external drive is a lot easier...

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Windows Explorer would pop up a bar showing Network Discovery and File Sharing is disabled if Network is clicked and the features are disabled.  I think WET could use a feature like that if those features are required.  Just my 2¢.

Hong

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:46 AM
  • I too had problems with this transfer. I created a local administrator account on the Windows 8 box and then Easy Transfer worked the way it is supposed to.

Regards,

Chris

Regards, Chris

Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:45 PM
  • I had this same issue, I resolved mine by enabling IPv6 on both Win 7 PC, and it worked straight away.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:53 AM