none
Windows 7 dvd freezes computer - Can't install

Question

• EDIT: SOLVED.  See reply.

I need to downgrade ASAP - My college doesn't support Windows 8 and I have problems accessing the network. I have been trying to downgrade for weeks and my computer is stuck halfway and I have a programming class in the morning!

Problem description:  I'm trying to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7.  After my laptop boots from the dvd, it loads files and then it says "Starting Windows", the logo starts to swirl and then it freezes mid animation.  I then need to restart the computer.  The Windows 7 dvd is one I burned myself using a valid, registered ISO file directly from the vendor who supplies software for my college.  I burned it using an ISO burner after every attempt to boot from other devices.

Attempted fixes: I've tried extracting the ISO and burning the files to dvd - as expected, my laptop won't boot from that.  I've tried burning the ISO to dvd without using an ISO burner.  I've made a new ISO dvd with a different ISO burner in case the dvd was bad. I've wiped my computer and returned it to factory settings to wipe out any failed attempted installations that may be causing this problem (since I have been trying to downgrade for a while.) I have tried disabling all the usb drives and I've unplugged all my devices. 

Recent changes: My laptop is one month old and freshly reset this evening.  I have tried to install Windows 7 using other methods and had errors before the wipe, but it's no longer showing as an option when my computer boots so I think it's cleared off.

--

Operating system:  Windows 8 Professional 64 bit

System specs: Samsung Series 3, NP300E5C-A0BCA, Intel Core i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz, 8GB RAM

• Edited by Jblaw Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:33 PM Solved
    Monday, January 21, 2013 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you try to burn the ISO with the builtin feature in Windows 8? just use right click and choose "Burn disc image".

If you find it not helpful you may try to use Flash Thumb Drive (Disk On Key).

You can try this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/creating-windows-7-install-media-on-flash-drive/5eb58e71-52e6-47c8-91a0-a795a7d49356

update me how it goes,

Ori Husyt

If my answer helped, please vote or mark as correct :) Regards, Ori Husyt

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:00 PM
  • Your problem is the UEFI secure boot.  You will have to find out from Samsung if there is a BIOS "downgrade" that will allow Windows 7 to be installed.

This is not a windows 7 problem.  It is the UEFI secure boot of your system!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:11 PM
  • Hi,

If you using UEFI, you need to disable UEFI secure boot. Also, the following article for your reference:

Installing Windows 7 on UEFI based computer

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer.aspx

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Burnination Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:14 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:54 AM
  • I did burn the ISO using Windows 8 - I needed to boot from the disk to manage partitions though and you can't do that using a virtual clone drive.  For some reason my laptop also refused to boot from my bootable USB.  It was booting from the dvd though, just freezing.

The UEFI secureboot was also off - this was discovered last week while I struggled to get the laptop to boot from dvd.

I wound up having to select a different BIOS setting under the Boot menu.  I changed it from UEFI OS to one of the other options, I can't recall which exactly.  Once I did that it booted to dvd and didn't freeze during the animation, I was able to access the partition table.  

Unfortunately my partitions were GPT partitioned, and although I had a 64 bit version of Windows 7 it refused to install.  I ran DISKPART and tried to convert to mbr but it just gave me errors.  I eventually sacrificed my recovery partitions and used DISKPART to clean the drive then converted to mbr.  Everything was fine besides a few driver issues after that.

Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:39 PM