none
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder error

Question

• All of a sudden all sound has stopped working
    When i try to start the Windows Audio service it fails due to dependant service Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
    I try to start this and get an error 0x80070002 stating that a specified file cannot be found..

What would cause this to happen?

Help

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:05 AM

All replies

• Greetings Greg,

I too ran into this exact same issue.  I wasn't sure why it happened, and am still not sure, but here is what I did to fix it.

First off, my system is a Dell Inspiron 9400, with a SigmaTel Audio processor.  I have installed the latest drivers from Dell on the laptop.  One of the items to be installed is a SigmaTel Audio service.

After trying a number of things, I stopped the SigmaTel service and the was able to start the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and the subsequently the Windows Audio Service.  Once this was done, I restarted the SigmaTel service and everything worked after that.

I certianly hope you find some help in this.  Best of luck.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Proposed as answer by rbtrhisey Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:55 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:17 PM
  • I have the same issue, but this solution did not work for me. Has anyone else had the same problem? Help would be great. :-)
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:43 AM
  • There is a case in Microsoft's KB as well as a few things online, but for me, it was a two fold problem.  Not only was the sigmal tel part of the issue but the fact that I had tried to install the Creative drivers for my Dell Audigy MB.  If you are using a Dell or any other PC that uses Audigy Advanced MB tech, then I would suggest that you go to your manufacturer and Creative and see if there is anything you can find.

If it IS a Dell, then check this link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fydjzjtyynj

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Mark

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Everettc,  Will the activation key that came with my system for xp work on this download or vista?
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 8:11 AM
  • The XP code is all I had as well, and I didn't run into any troubles.  Everything works very well now so I would give it a shot.

Cheers,
    Mark

Sunday, April 29, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Thank you Mark,

I'd give it a shot as you said and it work fine.

thank much.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:42 AM
  • No "solution" provided here has done anything... you're merely suggesting to reinstall the drivers.

I've done that about a half dozen times and I've yet to get the system to recognize the audio card, despite it having worked under Vista Home Premium. I can't possibly understand how Creative would release such *** drivers that only seem to work on some of Vista's flavours. Really annoying... worse still, there doesn't seem to be any fix at the current date, so I can't listen to sounds on my computer for a while.  Suffice it to say, last Dell I'll ever buy.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:01 PM
  • I am having the same issue:

Dell XPS M1710: upgraded from Vista Home premium to ultimate.

After half a day going through the troubleshooting guide on Dell, where nothing fixed it, (this involved everything including the Dell diagnostics and even uninstalling the PCI so that it would re-install everything!)

I finally found something on the IDT site about this exact issue.

Following their instructions:

1. Downloaded driver from DELL (the resource disk wouldn't start due to some VBScript error) 
    2. Uninstalled the device/drivers
    3. Reinstalled the drivers

Everything looks OK: device is visible and working according to the sound applet. It is good to go in the device manager.

However, I cannot start the Windows Audio Service because the Windows Audio Endpoint Builderservice will not fire up.. it says file not found.. but of course declines to tell me which one it can't find or where it is trying to search and there is nothing in the event log at all.

Could this be an issue with the upgrade or is it an issue with the audio device/software?

<Edit time="a minute later">

Finally.... found this link which helped some one else out with the same problem: http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-vista/33968-windows-audio-service-will-not-run-vista-ultimate.html

will try it out and report back.

</Edit>

Nah... didn't work. Anyone else with ideas?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:09 PM
  • I have not been able to get this to work either on an M1210 after upgrading to Vista Ultimate from Home Premium. I have reinstalled the driver at least half a dozen times, even in safe mode and still get nothing.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest and greatest from Sound Blaster and that made no difference either.

It was recommended by XPS support that I reinstall the OS and I was just about to do that when I found a thread that said a fresh install didn't resolve the issue either.

Does anyone know if there is a registry hack or something that might force the service to start? The speaker works with the driver installed because I get beep codes when I try starting the service.

Anyone have any ideas????
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:29 PM
  • Dell support could not help me. Apart from a full re-install, the best they could do was to say wait for the Vista SP to come out later this month and also for an updated SigmaTel driver, also out later this month.

He did however mention that there is a driver available from the LG site (not sure which one that would be though) but couldn't give me any better details.

I'm off to search an lg site now.. will post more info.

In the meantime, is there anywhere where I could post this as a bug.. the fact that the error message does not give me enough detail?

Friday, July 06, 2007 11:42 AM
  • I had a similar issue where all of a sudden my audio stopped working and the Windows Audio service wouldn't run. Couldn't find anythinig on google about how to fix it but after a few hours with a microsoft support representative he fixed it.

Try going into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv
    and in the DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs and then restart your computer
    Seems a little bit like a cheat to me heheh but it fixed my sound so it's worth a shot if you can't get yours to work.. if it doesn't fix your problem just add the other 2 dependencies back in or something.. might not be a bad idea to back up your registry before you make any changes.. can't hurt

Hope that helps
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:27 PM
  • Thanks a bundle - this appears to have worked a treat. Much appreciated.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 9:31 PM
  •  ichor wrote:
    I had a similar issue where all of a sudden my audio stopped working and the Windows Audio service wouldn't run. Couldn't find anythinig on google about how to fix it but after a few hours with a microsoft support representative he fixed it.

Try going into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv
    and in the DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs and then restart your computer
    Seems a little bit like a cheat to me heheh but it fixed my sound so it's worth a shot if you can't get yours to work.. if it doesn't fix your problem just add the other 2 dependencies back in or something.. might not be a bad idea to back up your registry before you make any changes.. can't hurt

Hope that helps

ichor, i dont know if you will ever read this, but i have had this audio problem for almost a month. i have spent countless hours talking to dell, seraching the internet and messing this stuff that it almost makes me sick. i had to send in my comp because they though it was hardware, it wasnt. i was going to have to reinstall vista, but i hadn't yet because i was so stuborn.

tonight at like 2:17 in the morning, i tried what you said. when i heard the startup sounds of my computer, i almost cried. i litterally ran into my parents room to tell them it was fixed. i thank you so much, its people like you that really help people with computer problem, not the idiots that sold them the computer. thank you again man, your great
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:18 AM
  •  ichor wrote:
    I had a similar issue where all of a sudden my audio stopped working and the Windows Audio service wouldn't run. Couldn't find anythinig on google about how to fix it but after a few hours with a microsoft support representative he fixed it.

Hope that helps

The above didnt work for me! Sad Also tried installing and reinstalling all the drivers, and ran all the usual disk scans, virus scans (just in case).

Any other suggestions please?!

For a Dell Dimension E520 (Core2Duo 1.86Ghz, 2GB RAM), Vista Business.

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Try going back to see if the fix stuck. have you ran the system test to figure out that its not hardware? because you then may need to send it back to dell to get fixed if its hardware. did you get this error when you try to start windows audio endpoint builder? i have heard about uninstalling and reinstalling plug and play, i suggest looking into that, im not exactly sure what you need to do though.

good luck
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:47 AM
  • OMG!  This worked!  I just had this problem come up and spent quite a bit of time searching online for possible results.  I ran across people complaining that they had been having this issue for quite some time but no solutions.  I finally ran across this and I was able to fix the issue immediately.  Thank you!!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 4:18 AM
  • AK_1983   This is for you....

I highly suggest that you visit support.dell.com and try again to get the latest sigmatel driver, I hope that you select the correct OS, as Vista 32bit, once updating this. Restart your system and follow the Directions to editing the registry. and restart. 

<<<>>>    To all those who helped and added your input here, Thanks so much...  <<<>>>

Friday, February 01, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Hey i dont know about you guys, but i spent 2 HOURS trying to figure this issue out, i googled everything i could to fix it, i had the same problem, but mine originated from wanting to use the mic, but Vista's default drivers didn't come with the mic drivers sooooo, i went to Dell.com and downloaed the drivers..Well, it worked at first. but then after reboot it all went to hell.  Guys i spent hours and hours, going through the Local Services and getting the Endpoint Cant start error and what not.  Heres my solution.  If you have the downloaded driver package R127097 from dell which i believe is their Advanced MB drivers, what you want to do is go into that file and go into the Drivers folder.  Open a new window and to go C:\Windows\System32\drivers     in the R1... folder with the drivers opened delete all of those files listed in R1...\drivers from your system32\drivers   once you do that, it should work, It did for me! it picked up my stuff and worked right away...let me know if this was a help..email me passingblood@hotmail.com Goodluck!

Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Fair play to ya...Spent ages uninstalling and reinstalling drivers to no avail but your fix worked a treat! Still dont know what caused it? Possible download and installation of Windows Optional Update, IDT - Audio - IDT High Definition Audio Codec?

Thanks.

Friday, May 02, 2008 8:07 PM
  • big thanks ichor.

this worked for me.

however...my mic (line in) still wont work.

anyone had luck with this?

Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:24 PM
  • ichor,

Your a lifesaver! I've had this problem with no audio for almost 2 weeks, started right after I upgraded my hd. I thought I screwed something up and needed to re-install the whole thing. But your little trick worked beautifully. Glad I found your post.

Thanks again,

Jarod

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:44 AM
  • ichor, your solution worked for me today. You probably will not get this message but I just wanted to say thanks!

Spent all day long messing with drivers and googling until I found your post. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate on my Dimension 9200 and installed the correct Sigmatel drivers from Dell.com but had no sound.
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:48 PM
  • You and that microsoft tech nailed it. Very frustrating. But your deal worked for me after messing with this darned vista for 3 days.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:41 AM
  • I am so grateful for the regedit solution.  I have spent months searching for a solution to this problem and have un-installed and re-installed drivers at least a dozen times without any success.  The regedit solution fixed the problem.  Thanks so much for the help.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:22 PM
  • I thought I was out of the woods.  Patch Tuesday in October resulted in the return of sound to my Dell Insperion 1705 with Vista Home.  I had played with various fixes suggested here and in other places for months without success.  After the October patch, all seemed well.  Last night (October 25) my system installed a new patch pushed by Microsoft and we are back to the sound of silence with the same symptoms - Audio endpoint builder cannot start due to a file it cannot find.  This is more than old.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:34 PM
  • ichor,

Thanks a million....Dell Dimension 9200 Vista Business edition...everything was fine until SP1 came out...then....no sound.  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the fix.  Works great now....

Beef

Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:19 PM
  • A million thanks Ichor, you totally NAILED it! I got my sound back.!!!

It's kind of blowing my mind that i  had that little regedit in there, and I have NO idea how it got there.
    I've got a new brand new notebook preloaded with win 7x64, and last time I remember sound working was when  was adjusting font size, or something.
    Also FYI to those working on similar problem; win 7 sound troubleshooter kept giving different and more and more bizarre answers about what problem was. At one point I even opened up regedit and did search on "audio" and "sound" to find any settings I could, didn't find anything out of ordinary.

ICHOR- You ROCK, my friend, ...gimme some!!
    Friday, January 29, 2010 7:05 AM
  • I had a similar issue where all of a sudden my audio stopped working and the Windows Audio service wouldn't run. Couldn't find anythinig on google about how to fix it but after a few hours with a microsoft support representative he fixed it.

Hope that helps

Dude you are GOD !!!

Thanks a tonne..

I was having this problem for 2weeks now & have tried almost everything

Reinstalling drivers, updating windows, installing cccleaner, watever i could think of but nothing worked

I just tried your suggestion & Wolla it works

Thanks a lot buddy, you are a Saviour 

• Proposed as answer by bruce durbin Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:58 PM
  • greetings from ireland how did you know how to do this was pissed off that it should have happened since when did we have to rely on windows services for audio etc etc all seems to be working for the mo
    Monday, May 31, 2010 1:53 AM

Hope that helps

Dude you are GOD !!!

Thanks a tonne..

I was having this problem for 2weeks now & have tried almost everything

Reinstalling drivers, updating windows, installing cccleaner, watever i could think of but nothing worked

I just tried your suggestion & Wolla it works

Thanks a lot buddy, you are a Saviour 

The Registry edit worked! Thought it was the flash 10.0 or just Dell, but this worked! 

bruce durbin
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:05 PM

Hope that helps
     YOU ARE MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
    Friday, October 22, 2010 5:33 PM

Hope that helps

i though this will be a cheat and searched again and end up the below thread.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/9183-windows-audio-endpoint-builder-service-will-not-start.html

as per this thread i started power service, and GOD!!! now windows-audio-endpoint-builder service become started and also the Windows Audio service. Now sound is working in my system.

• Proposed as answer by Omendata Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:31 PM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 12:43 PM
  • If I was a woman I would have your babies!
    • Proposed as answer by Omendata Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Omendata Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:25 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:15 AM
  • I have had this headache so many times i cant tell you what a pain it was originally to find the fault.

As we run a corporate network we usually install Windows 7 N / KN, Which of course doesnt come with media player.

We found when you install media player the audio function ceases and produces the exact same problem with the endpoint mapper.

The solution is to enable the power service if it is disabled and restart it then restart the windows audio and audio mapper services or reboot the pc.

Removing the dependencies will also work but use as a last resort as the power service is a dependancy but strangely it isnt listed in the service dependencies.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 7:30 PM
  • On Vista Home Basic, service pack 2: slightly different error code, same message about a file not found.

Try this: Control Panel -> Device Manager; expand "Sound, video and game controllers"; if your audio is shown (mine is Realtek High Definition Audio), double-click to open it, then go to the Driver tab and Disable the device. Try to restart the Audio Endpoint Builder; if it doesn't start, I have no more ideas; otherwise, re-Enable the audio driver and try it.

Good luck.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:34 AM
  • Thank you very much! After trying every other single solutions, this one finally worked. You are a saint.
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 9:26 AM