Windows Update on Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Question

• I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Consumer Preview. How do I enable Windows Update to update not only OS related patches but also all other software installed on my notebook such as Microsoft Office 2010? The option to check updates for other software on Windows 7 Ultimate was available but on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, I am not able to do that. Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:51 PM

Answers

• Run this:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=en

Does this allow you to activate the option.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:57 PM
    Answerer
  • I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Consumer Preview. How do I enable Windows Update to update not only OS related patches but also all other software installed on my notebook such as Microsoft Office 2010? The option to check updates for other software on Windows 7 Ultimate was available but on Windows 8 Consumer Preview, I am not able to do that. Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

Works for me.

rtk

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:35 AM

All replies

• Run this:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=en

Does this allow you to activate the option.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:57 PM
    Answerer

Works for me.

rtk

Saturday, March 17, 2012 10:35 AM
  • This option did not work for me and I have the same problem. I also did the upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 8 CP. I have also tried to uninstall Office and reinstall but still do not get the option.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 1:30 PM
  • I finally decided to refresh my Windows 8 CP installation and this has solved a lot of issues. Somehow when you perform an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 CP, a lot of stuff gets screwed up. The rule of thumb is NOT to do an upgrade but instead do a fresh install.

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Raymond, Did it solve the update issue? If so I'll try that.
    Monday, April 16, 2012 2:04 PM
  • I highly recommend for all who wants to try Windows 8 CP to do a fresh install. If you have done an upgrade from a previous OS (Windows 7), do a refresh and all you previous programs will be removed and you can basically start fresh and reconfigure all your devices and software. Screws up other functions but it is better than running from an upgraded system. For example, my Synaptics Touchpad driver that runs well on Windows 7 and after the upgrade failed to function after the refresh. Guess you cannot win either way and do remember Windows 8 CP is "Beta" and this may all change when the product is ready for official release.

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hey man, i dont know if you still is needing help.

I didnt find windows update in windows8 too. But clicking with right button in "My computer" and going to proprieties, you can find "Windows Update" at the left side and use it. You also can configure it in this window.

Regards from brazil.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 4:35 PM