none
Cannot delete System partition in Windows 8

Question

• Hi

When I installed the Windows 8. It creates 2 partition. One is the system partition. And another a primary partition.

There are numerous times that my Windows 8 crashes very badly!

Without anything to fall back.

How do I delete this partition from Command Prompt.

I try delete partition via diskpart without success!

On a xp if you use diskpart it shown the partition which you can delete or create.

On windows 8 the diskpart gui like the one in xp is not available.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you delete the partition, Windows 8 won't boot successfully.

When installing Windows 8, it will let you format the hard drive. Or you can access recovery options, use diskpart from Command Prompt there.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:35 AM

All replies

• the 2 partitions are required for windows 7 or windows 8.  You cannot delete those while in windows.  You have to boot off the installation cd to do that.  Why do you want to do this anyways? 
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Hi

My computer have been the target of attacks. My Windows crash and crash.

I have to delete the partition and format the harddisk. And do everything from scratch. And wanted a clean system to run it.

What are the methods to do it via command prompt?

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

If you delete the partition, Windows 8 won't boot successfully.

When installing Windows 8, it will let you format the hard drive. Or you can access recovery options, use diskpart from Command Prompt there.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:35 AM
  • I am having similar issues. My Lenovo hard drive is whacked. I want to reformat and reinstall Windows 8 with a full, licensed CD that I have. I want to do this independent of the OEM software. Just start from scratch. However, even though I say full install, it won't let me install into any partition. How can I just start from scratch?

Thank you

Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:46 AM