none
Windows 7 Sidebar style

Question

• Will "old fashioned" (Vista) style's sidebar be back?
    I like the newest way, but is useless for me.
    In wide screens Vista sidebar is very useful, and the limit stablished between program windows and sidebar. I think that sidebar style could be an optional component.
    Please consider to put it on again.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:17 PM

Answers

• As already mentioned, there is a gadget that behaves just like the vista sidebar:

http://nes.bplaced.net/sidebar7.html

You dont need to replace any system files. It also supports multiple pages and can hide automatically if you want to.

• Marked as answer by WalterARG Monday, April 12, 2010 5:53 PM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

• I don’t think the ‘Sidebar’ is needed. You can still place gadgets on the Desktop.

• Marked as answer by axfelix Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by WalterARG Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP, Moderator Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by WalterARG Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Walter,

BurrWalnut is correct - you can place Gadgets anywhere you like on the Desktop, and can use the Show Desktop button in the bottom-right corner of your screen to access these at any time.
    -Alex
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I know that, and I use it, but for me (and many people) the old sidebar is better. I just want to know if Microsoft is thinking about to modify that feature.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I'm not stupid, I know what is "always visible"... and I don't want to fight with anybody, BUT a gadget "always visible" overlaps with operating areas in other windows, so, is a bad option.
    The solution appears to be to install Google sidebar, that fits to me.

• Marked as answer by axfelix Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by WalterARG Monday, July 13, 2009 3:07 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Of course it is "needed". I have dual widescreen monitors and under Vista I was able to put all my gadgets on the right hand side of my right hand monitor without them being hidden by running full-screen application. With Windows7 I can no longer maximize a window as the gadgets disappear - or if I set them to "always on top" they will cover important features in Visual Studio. Whoever decided that the sidebar (as it works in Vista) was no longer needed should be fired.
    • Marked as answer by WalterARG Monday, July 13, 2009 3:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by WalterARG Friday, September 11, 2009 11:26 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:11 AM
  • I don’t think the ‘Sidebar’ is needed. You can still place gadgets on the Desktop.

thats not what we are asking for.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:08 AM
  • I agree the the old Vista style sidebar needs to be an option (if you don't like it don't turn it on).  Having gadgets on the desktop that are either hidden by other windows or hide details in other windows by having them "always visble" is a complete waste of time for people with widescreen or dual monitors (or both). 

• Marked as answer by WalterARG Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by WalterARG Friday, September 11, 2009 11:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:00 AM
  • I personally like the side bar. But i have seen many ppl that dont use it and dont like it.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I too prefer the Vista style side bar which remains visible even if windows are maximised.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:24 PM
  • There is a workaround to get back the Windows Vista Sidebar in Windows 7. Follow these steps:
    1. Close the Windows 7 sidebar by killing the sidebar.exe in the task manager
    2. Remove the sidebar.exe from windows startup, for example by using msconfig
    3. Go to C:\Program Files\ and copy the Windows Sidebar folder
    4. Paste the copied folder into C:\Program Files and name it "Windows Vista Sidebar"
    5. Download this zip file: Win7-Sidebar-Fix.zip
    6. Extract the zip content to your new sidebar folder C:\Program Files\Windows Vista Sidebar (overwrite existing files)
    7. Run the sidebar.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Vista Sidebar
    7. Add your gadgets and have fun with the Windows Vista Sidebar!
    • Proposed as answer by Christian Niehaves Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by WalterARG Friday, September 11, 2009 11:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by WalterARG Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:09 AM

• Those 7 steps were a bit unclear to me.  I guess I do not read with good comprehension.  So I googled it:

Workaround to Run Windows Vista Bar Style Sidebar in Windows 7

which references Suicide Solution

But the other day I just naively copied my entire Vista-32 SideBar folder and replaced the Win7-64 folder with it.  It seemed to work fine.  But then I noticed when I clicked to download new gadgets, that didn't work right.  It seemed to have something to do with privileges in the temporary folder it was saving to.  I didn't bother to chase it to find out how come.  I've since wiped the Win7-64 off the disk and reloaded Vista.

Does the method posted above work 100% ?

Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:17 PM

• Those 7 steps were a bit unclear to me.  I guess I do not read with good comprehension.  So I googled it:

Workaround to Run Windows Vista Bar Style Sidebar in Windows 7

which references Suicide Solution

But the other day I just naively copied my entire Vista-32 SideBar folder and replaced the Win7-64 folder with it.  It seemed to work fine.  But then I noticed when I clicked to download new gadgets, that didn't work right.  It seemed to have something to do with privileges in the temporary folder it was saving to.  I didn't bother to chase it to find out how come.  I've since wiped the Win7-64 off the disk and reloaded Vista.

Does the method posted above work 100% ?

Here Carey.  Here's another useful post of mine you missed.  Get with it!  Delete it too.

I'll help you find all the ones you missed.  I just know you will thank me for my effort.

Monday, November 23, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Is there a way to get the hover feature back as well? For instance, the sidebar is always on or off. I would like the sidebar to appear when I hover to the side of the screen and it does not seem to be behaving as such. Any fix for this as well?
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:42 AM
  • I loved having all my gadgets neatly parcelled away on the right hand side of the screen, in a solid area that never moves (I never hover it, always have turned on) , cleanly abutting maximised windows instead of obscuring (or being obscured by) them.

Who ever made such a bizzare decision to remove something so useful that could at least be left as an option should be reprimanded, as should whoever authorised it them to do so. Then again, what do you expect from the folks who removed the "Up One Directory Level" button from Windows Explorer and gave us those !$£%&*#! breadcrumbs :P

Friday, December 11, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Outstanding!!! Just follow directions step by step. Hard to understand why Microsoft would not include this as an option in version 7.
    • Proposed as answer by bigjohn-s Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:47 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Outstanding!!! Just follow directions step by step. Hard to understand why Microsoft would not include this as an option in version 7.
    Choice and options are not the goal of windows 7.
    Windows 7 is supposed to be  SIMPLE. One way to do anything.  Just like a MAC.  DO it their way, or don't.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:48 PM
  • I found a gadget that mostly mimics the vista sidebar and works with fly-outs (which the above mentioned trick of using the Vista sidebar wont do).  However it can't switch between pages.

http://vista.gallery.microsoft.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=28856970-af5e-4692-acdc-93479f80887b&bt=1&pl=1

While not perfect, It gives me 90%+ of what I need, hope it helps some other people out too.
    • Proposed as answer by TechTactician Monday, December 28, 2009 8:10 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Walter,

BurrWalnut is correct - you can place Gadgets anywhere you like on the Desktop, and can use the Show Desktop button in the bottom-right corner of your screen to access these at any time.
    -Alex

Or press Win+G. This won't minimize your open windows.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:26 PM
  • I don't know what you are talking about, because the above trick has worked with fly outs for me just fine.

Monday, December 28, 2009 6:39 PM
  • I want to always know what the weather is without minimizing, show-desktop'ing, or anything.  Even if I have a program maximized.  Sure I can tell the gadget to be always on top, but then I can't click the window I'm working in.  I want them separate, but both always visible.  Vista gave us that.  Why not 7?
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:14 AM
  • I don't know what you are talking about, because the above trick has worked with fly outs for me just fine.

If they are working for you I'm not sure we are referring to the same thing.  So to make sure you know what I mean:

Try clicking on a date on this calendar

1) with the above fix
    2) With the original W7 sidebar (or the app that I posted). 
    See which one allows a little flyout to schedule a reminder.  (see the yellow part of the gadget in the picture)

Or try clicking the "more" button on the top right of this clipboard gadget with each of the sidebars, and see which allows the additional settings menus

If both of these function the same in each of the sidebars I'd be happy to know how you got it to work.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:03 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I agree with you Walter.  There were advantages to having the sidebar.  Next they'll take the taskbar and have everything float off it and say "Look!  You can move all your quicklaunch, taskbar icons, time & date and Start Menu all over the screen!" so it looks stupid and is either over or under all your programs!  Great job Microsoft.  You should have given people the OPTION to have a sidebar or not.  Well at LEAST we can add it back in and actually get some work done rather than having floating gadgets all over the place.  It's called ORGANIZATION.  Look it up.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:06 AM
  • For those saying the Windows Sidebar is not necessary, I will put here a clear example (yes, another) about why it IS still necessary in Windows 7: I am an IT consultant; instead of a having a desktop I use a laptop. When visiting clients I used my laptop display (max resolution 1280 x 960). I put all my gadgets at the right margin, where I can easily access them. When I work at home, I always connect my laptop to a 20"screen (resolution 1680 x 1050). It is really annoying every time I connect my external screen I have to relocate my gadgets again to the right margin, otherwise they show nearly at the middle of the screen (original position under 1280 x 900 resolution) where they are useless. Therefore Windows 7 should offer the Sidebar as an option. Hope this helps. By the way, thanks to Christian Niehaves for the proposed solution :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:46 PM
  • Chrisitan, I have carefully reviewed and followed your instructions above for enabling Windows Vista Sidebar in my Windows 7 Professional, however no matter what I do, for some reasson it is not working. It simply ignores the new sidebar.exe command. I think it opens momentarely (saw it on Task Manager Processes) but then it is closed immediately. Could this be a security issue? Thanks.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 1:39 AM
  • As already mentioned, there is a gadget that behaves just like the vista sidebar:

http://nes.bplaced.net/sidebar7.html

You dont need to replace any system files. It also supports multiple pages and can hide automatically if you want to.

• Marked as answer by WalterARG Monday, April 12, 2010 5:53 PM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 4:32 PM
  • thanks !!!
    Monday, April 12, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Thanks !!!  This is just amazing!!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Thank you very much. This was very helpful
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:53 AM
  • i'd say:

-Vista-style sidebar removed

-up button

-animated gifs no longer working on Win 7 excepting IE ... not on WPV, neither as desktop background/wallpaper ..

-themes now are just a big sh** soz/sry for expression, but cann't other way! wth?? windows 7 is getting back in Win 98 age?? anything what is now in Win 7 themes was in Win 98 too! all real customization just f****** gone!

wth with this world? really! simplicity, simplicity, ... blah blah blah :P i DON'T want simplicity! simplicity is for noobs/kids/..! so seems that MS started treating us all as noobs! damn!

i saw on another forum somebody saying that he work at MS and saying that they don't have enough human resources (programmers/coders/..) and have more important things/stuff to do, instead to implement old (! :shock) 8-bit animated gifs on Win 7! can u believe that?? how much work would be for that format if is old? also, if already is implemented in/for IE how hard/though (scuse my bad english pls) to do it for OS itself??

post like this

<blockquote><span lang=EN>
    <p>I don’t think the ‘Sidebar’ is needed. You can still place gadgets on the Desktop.</p>
    </span></blockquote>

(just as example, is available for all like this .. but of course cann't quote all of then)

make me to be gone/dissappear again for full months (!) from forum!

why people are so ... well better to not say how :P

why always must be somebody who contradict or to ask u why do u want this or that, to tell u that is better so or so, or now than in past, and not just answer/repply strictly at what do u asked?

simplicity? ok, very well! i could understand ... really! BUT there still should be options for others who still like/want one or another feature who was in older version of Win and no longer are now! my opinion! not they should lead future of Windows but users! :P yea! even if isn't an open source/freeware/... software but proprietary one ... that's the way how things/stuff work(s) lately .. and yes, why not, because WE pay for Win 7 (Windows generally), and we, at least me, want to be worth what for i pay and not a *beep*

but no problem, we/us users lose, but they will do it too (or already are doing it), they (will) lose people/users, im sure! even myself, havent too much/big hard space till now to install a Linuz distro too, but now i can and i'll do it soon ;) if i'll found anything i want there maybe then i'll keep Win 7 ONLY for games made only for Windows and not for Linux too ... the only exception! :P

(i just hope that i wont be censored or other way punished for this post (democracy is actually an utopia and not a real thing ;) :P ) cos i know from experience that moderators usually don't like critics; well, even if my post will be censored/deleted/removed/... i still hope that smbdy there "in the sky" will still take it in consideration ..)

[url=http://alpha.astroempires.com/?ref=alpha.262158][img]http://www.astroempires.com/images/banners/ban9.png[/img][/url]
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:05 PM