none
"No Internet Access" on wireless repeater bridge

Question

• My network consists of a 2Wire DSL gateway/router with an XP wired client and a Win7 wireless client, with everything working normally. I added a wireless repeater bridge using DD-WRT installed on a Linksys router.

Connecting via the bridge works perfectly using WinXP, my iPod Touch (iOS4) or a Linux client, but with my Win7 laptop I get "No Internet Access". The same result whether I connect to the bridge using wireless or wired. I have also tested using a Vista client, same result.
    When I am connected Win7 - Bridge, I can access shares/printers on my wired client (via bridge - gateway/router) but I can't ping the gateway/router. IPCONFIG looks normal, with good IP, gateway and DNS addresses.
    Connecting directly to the gateway/router works normally.

So, to summarize:
    My bridge works fine with XP, Linux or iOS clients, but not with Windows 7 or Vista
    When connected to the bridge with Win7, I get "No Internet Access", and I can't ping the gateway/router, but I can access the rest of the network, via the same gateway/router.

I've tried:
    updating drivers (even though wired and wireless have the same problem)
    Safe mode
    Disabled Bonjour
    Fixed IP address on client
    and many other things found on web boards.

Looks to me like Win7 is looking for something that XP, Linux, etc. doesn't care about.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• Have you disabled IP6 on the NIC's?? if not give that a shot

Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Have you disabled IP6 on the NIC's?? if not give that a shot

Yes, I have .... no effect. In fact, Win7 doesn't seem to allow you to uninstall IPv6, just uncheck the box in the NIC properties dialog. So I edited the registry to set:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters]
    “DisabledComponents”=dword:000000ff

Which is supposed to turn of everything IPv6 related.

Still no joy.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Ok let me clear up something first.

A "bridge" in wireless networking is a device which connects to a network and allows devices to connect behind it. the bride would be the deive connecting to the SSID and the devices behind it are connecting to the bridge device (in most cases via ethernet cable)

A repeater (which is most cases only work with wireless gear from the same vendor) takes a weak signal and rebroadcasts it for better coverage.

So the Ipconfig /all from the win 7 connected via the repeater, what does it show as the DNS?? Can you ping a IP address (208.67.222.222)

If so then you are getting a good DNS, to test at the cmd line

type nslookup press enter...what comes back??? an error I am guessing, if so then type .....server 208.67.222.222 and then type abc.com it should return the abc.com IP.

if that works then you just need figure out why the repeater is not passing a good DNS or just hardcode a good DNS on the clients.

A better to expand your wifi network.

http://www.open-mesh.com/store/

one of if not THE BEST ways

http://meraki.com/

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Ok let me clear up something first.

A "bridge" in wireless networking is a device which connects to a network and allows devices to connect behind it. the bride would be the deive connecting to the SSID and the devices behind it are connecting to the bridge device (in most cases via ethernet cable)

A repeater (which is most cases only work with wireless gear from the same vendor) takes a weak signal and rebroadcasts it for better coverage.

So the Ipconfig /all from the win 7 connected via the repeater, what does it show as the DNS?? Can you ping a IP address (208.67.222.222)

If so then you are getting a good DNS, to test at the cmd line

type nslookup press enter...what comes back??? an error I am guessing, if so then type .....server 208.67.222.222 and then type abc.com it should return the abc.com IP.

if that works then you just need figure out why the repeater is not passing a good DNS or just hardcode a good DNS on the clients.

A better to expand your wifi network.

http://www.open-mesh.com/store/

one of if not THE BEST ways

http://meraki.com/

As I said in the OP, this bridge works perfectly for XP, Linux and iOS4, so obviously it's passing good DNS. IPCONFIG shows the correct DNS, Gateway and IP addresses. I can't ping anything outside of my local network, including the gateway/router.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Post an Ipconfig /all from the win 7 and a working box so we may see them

also what did you set the network as home / work / public??

Have you run " netsh winsock reset " at the cmd line?

Monday, July 26, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Post an Ipconfig /all from the win 7 and a working box so we may see them

also what did you set the network as home / work / public??

Have you run " netsh winsock reset " at the cmd line?

OK, I hope you can see something wrong wiyh the IPCONFIG (below), 'cos I sure can't.

Network is set as "Home"

Yes, I have tried netsh winsock reset

My IPCONFIG:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mikes-Laptop
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2C-63-AA-5A
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2C-63-AA-5A
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.68(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 26, 2010 12:32:14 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:32:14 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Mike>
    C:\Users\Mike>

Monday, July 26, 2010 5:37 PM
  • An additional piece of information ... I have discovered that if I leave it for about 30 minutes, it will start working normally. BUT if I reboot or try to switch connections the problem is back. This is really getting frustrating.

Apart from IPv6, what did MS put into the networking protocols in Vista and Win7 that was not there in XP?
    Monday, July 26, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Hi mike - I just want to say I'm having the EXACT same problem as you are - and I've been having this for at least 6 months - i keep checking the internet for new posts but as of yet i've not seen anything.

I have a wireless router connected to the internet - it broadcasts via WDS to a secondary wireless access point and I'm using WEP encryption for this bridge -  (ok some call it repeater - and it is - although the actual wireless connection is technically a bridge) - and they both have different SSIDs (ONE (connected to internet) and TWO (the second repeater))

When I connect from XP, Windows 7, or any Microsoft workstation to "TWO" it hangs on getting a DHCP IP address - eventually it does get a correct IP - you have to wait roughly 2 minutes - and it takes much longer than my linux machine.

Then - of course - even with the correct IP settings - its unable to ping anything - not the default gateway nothing - 

I've installed a wireless utility on one of my workstations and it reports CRC errors - roughly 90% on all the traffic received are CRC errors (Cyclic Redundancy Check errors)

When I connect those same workstations directly to the wireless access point "ONE" they work fine without a hitch.

My girlfriend has a windows 7 laptop - and for some reason she's able to connect to "TWO" without a problem

I also had an XP machine which also connected to "TWO" until it had updated itself via automatic updates - and since then I've been unable to connect to "TWO" - even after removing all the updates, although there were 2 (seemingly unrelated updates) which couldn't be uninstalled.

So - i've reinstalled now with windows 7 and it doesn't work - my sister's laptop also won't connect to "TWO" - she has windows 7 and when she first got it it connected fine - but just stopped working for no apparent reason.

I have another HP laptop and it also doesn't want to connect (but it used to).

Only my linux machine works 100% - i'm sending this post connected to "TWO"

This problem has had me crazy and I blame Microsoft.

I've come accross posts which say if KB81something something is installed then WEP encryption goes into a ballistic state which causes this problems - yet i've not found any KB's starting with 8 on any of my machines.

So - my M$ machines have no internet - and they all have to go through my linux machine to gain access - 

Really frustrating and pathetic - if you come across a solution somewhere i'd be delighted!

Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:48 PM
  • I have the same problem with a vista ultimate 32bit machine.  Using a buffalo gaming adapter with 4 ports programmed with DD-WRT as a bridge from my 2wire wireless DSL modem for the vista machine, wired.  When I power on, the machine will not connect to the network properly.  I have noticed that it will connect on its own if I give it enough time. 

What i have found it that it will get an IP address immediately, but cannot get to the internet.  If I load the buffalo device status page (got to its IP address 192.168.10.102) and then the 2wire gateway (192.168.10.1) it will load the buffalo, but not the 2wire.  After attempting to load each back and forth the 2wire will finally respond and I will have full web.  I have noticed that sometimes it drops out with gmail, google voice and sometimes google home page.  Otherwise it will generally remain stable.

One thing I have noticed that is common in all of the complaints of this kind that I have found on the web (with no solutions) is the offending gateway device is a 2wire and the computer is running vista or win7.  I am wondering if there is some network discovery process in the newer OSes that the 2wire does not handle properly.

Same results as other for linux and XP machines -- no networking problems.

Friday, November 19, 2010 11:33 PM
  • I did the a similar thing. I bought a Buffalo wireless extender and tried to connect to an AT&T u-verse router. This device has 4 wired ports and connects to a wireless router. Everything else except my windows 7 PC can connect. I plug XP into the router and it works right away.

Windows 7 is flaky and only works sometimes. When I boot it it will not connect but after 3 minutes it will finally work... then an hour later it may stop working again. When it does not work I can I can ping every system in my house except the gateway. If this were a link problem then why can I ping everything else? I also get errors complaining about a duplicate IP but I have static assignments to every device and I have verified that there is no conflict.

Interestingly I recently updated the Realtek gigabit wireless driver and it has not worked since. It was so flaky before I can't be sure this made it worse. One thing I noticed is that before I updated the driver the device list on the router looked like this.

OfficeBridge 00:24:a5:44:b2:ba 192.168.1.68 Device Details

Wendy-PC 00:24:8c:6e:fe:bf unknown Device Details

After updating the driver it looks like this

OfficeBridge 00:24:a5:44:b2:ba 192.168.1.64 Device Details

Wendy-PC 00:24:8c:6e:fe:bf 192.168.1.68 Device Details

The second configuration has the correct IP's but the first one is the one that works sometimes.

Chad.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Ok. I think I have made a little progress. When I disable DHCP and manually configure the Windows 7 PC it seems to work. Try this workaround if you get a chance. Interestingly the router device list shows the name of the bridge as associated with the IP of the PC. There is also an "unknown" IP address without a name. It's not perfect but it is working for now.

Chad.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 3:20 AM
  • i have same problem with edimax 7206apg repeater (latest firmware installed). this repeater connected to a adsl modem via wireless wihich has wpa-psk- wpa2-psk (mixed mode) protection (both of them dont have mac adress protection). when i connect my pc to adsl modem it connecting to internet via wireless. but when i connect my pc to repeater (via ethernet and also via wireless) it can not connecting. it takes ip but says no internet. (in xp sp3 i can connect to internet via repeater (ethernet and wireless both of them works)). i also try with windows 7 sp1 rtm and closing windows firewall changing network type (home etc) but nothing changed. what can be the problem. sorry for my english thanks

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:55 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem here too.

I have a 2-Wire wireless router badged as a BT 2700 HGV, it comes (came?) as standard with a UK BT Business connection. I have recently added a bridge to extend the poor wireless coverage, in my case an Edimax EW-7416APN.

Just as the previous contributors, everything works find on various Android, iOS and Linux devices. But I have two Windows 7 laptops and when they connect to the Edimax (rather than direct to the BT Business-Hub) they look like they get an IP address immediately but after a few seconds I get the dreaded little yellow triangle in the network icon and hovering over gives the message 'Edimax AP No internet Access'.

As with other contributors, if I wait for anything from 1 minute to 30 minutes plus, the internet connectivity appears and I can work normally until the machine is rebooted or restarted from hibernation.

I've spent a very frustrating evening searching all the forums for an answer to this and despite many suggestions such as;

• Re-installing the wireless LAN device driver
    • Switching off IPv6
    • Enabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter
    • Stopping various McAfee services
    • Stopping Quicktime services
    • Manually configuring a default gateway
    • Manually configuring the IP configuration (IP address, subnet mask and default gateway)

nothing has worked and I still have the same symptoms. An ipconfig/all looks fine in each case - and no different before and after the internet connectivity starts working. For the time being all I can do when I am out of range of the main BT router is to use a non-Microsoft device.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas on how to resolve this?

The core issue may be with 2-Wire, the wireless repeater/bridge and/or my network configuration but the fact remains that it is only Microsoft Windows 7 devices that fail to connect properly, everything else works perfectly every time. This does suggest that it is Windows 7 (and perhaps Vista and late versions of XP from other posts) that have some kind of extra check in them somewhere that breaks everything.

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:50 AM
  • having simlar issue since i got windows 7 back about 1 year ago. I have two networks both on 1gb backbone in each location, these are connected together with a dlink wireless bridge, in which i use static routing as the default gateways at each site are the adsl/internet connection and not the bridge.  when i originally installed the first windows 7 client at site 1 (1 year ago) it killed the wireless bridge, a soon as i switched the pc off, bridge restored. spending loads of time on this i could not find what was causing it (disabled ip6 etc), windows 7 seems to do some sort of network broadcast, which the wireless does not like,  so what i ended up doing is putting a cisco pix 501 between the core network and the bridge to stop the broadcasting and limit connectivity accross the bridge,  which solved my problem.  however i have now installed a windows 7 pc at site 2 where there is no firewall inplace between core network and the bridge, and guess what.  wireless bridge dieds as soon as the pc is booted up, switched it off and wireless bridge again is restored.  this is now doing my head in as this is clearely a windows 7 issue.  i have searched the internet and can not find any answers to this.  the only thing now to do is put another pix in on site 2 to stop this problem.

unless anyone knows what microsoft have done with with the networking in windows 7.......

Saturday, January 07, 2012 11:07 PM
  • I have the same issue. I can ping the rest of the wifi network expect the gateway.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Don't suppose anyone has any ideas how to fix this? I've just bought a brand new Windows 7 laptop and it displays exactly the same issue. Two new Android tablets and an internet enabled Freeview box work perfectly first time and every time.

The only advice I could suggest for anyone with a 2Wire router that needs a wireless extension - go Apple, Linux or Android. Microsoft Windows 7 devices simply don't work.

Very poor show Microsoft.

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Bump.

Anyone any idea how to fix this Windows 7 bug?

Peter N

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:46 AM
  • I found this page today cuz I was assisting my friend in setting up repeater for his customer. Problem he encountered is exaclty the same as yours. Though I am pretty experienced network/PC tech I was unable to fully assess the clues (I was only on the phone). First of all I was able to connect to clients router (some adsl TP-LINK) and confirm router's correct setup. Then did the same with AP settings (also tplink - wa801nd?). 

Worst came after he had tried to connect his Windows7 laptop - "No access..." then after a minute ok, and then (after login off, rebooting etc. ) back to nothing.

Occasional IP duplicate and "multiple default gateways... " warnings

Typical troubleshooting done;

Reseting NIC, rebooting OS, updating drivers, checking up services.msc (both DNS and DHCP runing) unchecking IPv6, pinging etc,

Static IP solved the case but it's only a workaround.

My friend isn't familiar with network analyzers so i can not confirm CRC errors or other traffic problems. 

My ideas - Repeater mode may be malfunctioning between different vendor devices (rather not the case here)

Both wired and wireless adapters on and within short amount of time connected to the same network (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159168)

other to come....

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:23 PM
  • I had the same problem, using an AT&T DSL router, and a Belkin "range extender" - however, I wanted to use the Belkin device for 2 PCs for wired access, an XP and a Win 7 machine. The XP machine worked fine, the Win 7 machine had intermittent Internet access (mostly failing). Wireless access worked fine to the Belkin from my Mac and my iPhone. Local area networking was fine for wired XP and Win 7. Following the advice above, I turned off IPv6, and also took the IP address that had been assigned to the Win 7 box and entered it as a static address, also putting the gateway address in as the DNS. After a couple of restarts, that worked, and has continued to work today. I have restarted a few times to check that it comes up okay, as I also observed that it sometime got Internet access after about 30 minutes or so. The static IP solution is probably a workaround, but it works for now.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:41 PM
  • I have the same situation, and somehow my settings now work.  Tried setting up a WDS bridge to extend WiFi range at home.  Android connections work, but Windows 7 returns "No Internet Access".

First, I tried setting up static IP, and that works.

The next thing I tried was to add an alternate DNS server to the DHCP options for the main wireless router.  Originally, the DHCP only points to two of the DNS servers from the ISP.  I added 192.168.1.1 (the router address) as the third DNS server, and my setup works with dynamic DHCP as well.  Not sure if it will continue to work, but worth a try.

• Edited by Daventure Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:11 PM minor fix
    Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:10 PM