none
how to open Contacts.edb

Question

• RE : Windows Live Mail Contacts location
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{ a string of letters and numbers }\DBStore > Contacts.edb is inside DBStore

My question :

How to open Contacts.edb ?
    I've tired Adobe Reader, Notepad, Wordpad, Internet Explorer..... none of them are able to open edb files.

Then after looking for clue in the web, it seems that only Microsoft Exchange Server opens edb files, and the program is expensive.

Furthermore, why would WLM store contacts in edb formnat in a Windows based computer ?

Thank you.

If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We may need to tend to a third party software to view the content of contact.edb file. With regards to the reason, I will try to ask our pruduct develop team.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_messenger_contacts.html

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We may need to tend to a third party software to view the content of contact.edb file. With regards to the reason, I will try to ask our pruduct develop team.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_messenger_contacts.html

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:20 AM
  • The link you posted above refers to a program that can open windows live contacts.  However, the extracted files contain a trojan horse!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:28 PM